Topic: Output channels of Babyface in Class Compliant Mode (Linux OpenSuse)

Hi all,

I must admit that I'm new to linux audio, so this question might seem rather naive to you. But here is my problem and I'm hoping you could help me with this:

I'm running the following test scenario:

• The Babface is connected to a PC (PC1) which is running Linux OpenSuse. The Babyface is running in Class Compliant mode.

• The ADAT output of the Babyface is connected to an RME Digiface which is connected to another PC (PC2).

• I'm trying to play a 4-channel wav file (on PC1) via the playback device  of the Babyface and I can only see two channels of the actual 4-channel signal (arriving at PC2)

So, how many output channels of the babyface can I use when it is connected to a Linux system. Can I only use 2 when using Linux ?

I hope my problem became clear. What I described above is just a test scenario (ideally, I would use the Babface in a slightly different scenario where I want to get some microphone signals out of a robot using the robot's usb device). Buf if it doesn't work in this test scenario, it makes no sense for me to try this on the robot.

If you need some clarification, please say so. I'm really hoping you can help me with this! Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
Hendrik

Re: Output channels of Babyface in Class Compliant Mode (Linux OpenSuse)

Do you use jack or alsa ?
Which player do you use?

The Babyface might be in SPDIF mode;

Switch digital output format (SPDIF <> ADAT)
Press and hold the Select button until the left or right LEDs run up. Left meters = ADAT output mode.
Right meters = SPDIF output mode.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/cc … face_e.pdf

Regards,
Audio AG Support

Hi,

I'm using alsa. I cannot use Jack because this is not available on the robot (where I would like to use this).

I used Audacity as player. Maybe I didn't configure Audacity properly. Can you recommend any other player?

The Babyface was in ADAT mode.

I am not sure that you will be able to do that without a bit tweaking. I have a 6in 10out USB CC Interface. I cannot get audacity to find more than two channels in alsa mode. There might be a possibility to hack a asoundrc-file but i have no experience with that.
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Asoundrc
But can't you install jack?

Unfortunately, it's not possible for me to install JACK (at least not on the robot where I would like to use the Babyface).

The driver only supports two channels, 32bits audio. You can easily check this using aplay (this an alsa test program). I do not trust audacity when it comes to playing/recording and already got weird problems with it.