Topic: Multiface I - MIDI problems

Hi,
I am a happy owner of a Multiface (the old one not II).
I have been using it for almost 10 years without any problem.
Since the last firmware update MIDI IN and OUT doesn't work any more !
Any suggestion?

Thank you

I'm on Cubase 8, windows7/64bit

Re: Multiface I - MIDI problems

Please be more specific - what exactly doesn't work as expected?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Cubase recognizes the MIDI interface as: "Multiface Midi" but the Multiface does not receive any Midi signal from the IN port, no Led lit. The Midi OUT seems to work, at least Yellow Led is pulsing as signal comes through........also transmits perfectly. Tried different Midi cables...no way !

????

If the LED does not light up, check the physical MIDI connection. This should work with or without Cubase.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

What do you mean with "Physical MIDI connection"? I already changed different MIDI cables.

RME Support wrote:

If the LED does not light up, check the physical MIDI connection. This should work with or without Cubase.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Nothing?.....No Answers?

With MIDI playback running, plug the MIDI out to the MIDI in - does the LED at the input light up now?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

You mean doing a sort of bridge with the same cable plugged into IN and OUT ?
No way, the yellow OUT led is lighting up but no light fpr the IN led.

??

Something may be wrong with the MIDI In port then.... Which means repair/service. Or use a USB MIDI device...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi all -

I'm having the exact same problem. I updated the driver for my Multiface (original version) to 4.05, and the MIDI input does not work at all. Tried the loop-back as suggested, and no joy. I tested the input with a number of sources, using MIDIox to monitor incoming MIDI signals, and verified the Multiface's MIDI port is not passing data.

I'd be very, very surprised if this isn't related to the 4.0X firmware/driver update - that seems a lot more likely culprit than multiple previously-functional Multiface units suddenly having the same hardware failure. Can someone from RME confirm on an original Multiface that the MIDI in functions properly under the 4.0X drivers?

Conrad St. Clair

The firmware of the Multiface hasn't changed in years. With a loop cable and only the MIDI Out LED lighting up, either the MIDI cable or the Multiface is broken. The MIDI In LED is not a driver function. I also checked that driver 4.05 works as expected.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

14 (edited by kicksville 2015-02-28 17:48:03)

I'm sorry, Mathias - I should have been more clear. The HDSP card's firmware was updated to work with driver 4.0X, not the Multiface itself. And the MIDI input's LED isn't controlled by the driver, but passing MIDI data through the port *is* controlled by the driver/hardware, correct?

Here are the steps I went through that landed me here:

1. Start with a fully functioning Multiface and HDSP card rev1.8
2. Install driver 4.05, and update HDSP card's firmware to rev. 55
3. Multiface's MIDI input no longer passes data
4. Swapped MIDI cables
5. Ran MIDIox to verify MIDI output functions as expected, but MIDI input shows no data activity regardless of source

I could accept a sudden hardware failure as being the culprit, but it does seem strange that as soon as I came to the forum to look for information, I found this thread discussing the exact same scenario.

So, using MIDIox or other utility, can you confirm the MIDI input functions correctly an original Multiface+HDSP rev1.8 using driver 4.05/hardware rev55? Not just blinking LEDs, actual data....

thanks,

Conrad

Of course. And firmware 55 IS old.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks, Mathias. One last (probably dumb) question, then: is there a newer hardware revision for the HDSP than the most recently posted link for the HDSP (hardware rev 17/55)?