1 (edited by schtirlitz1977 2015-02-08 09:22:19)

Topic: Fireface 802 Mac and PC at the same time?

Hello! I recently bought Fireface 802 and have a question: As soon as Fireface has both Firewire and Usb connectors, is it possible to connect both PC and Mac at the same time? For example: Logic (on Mac) and Cubase (on PC) at the same time. Will Fireface still be working? Or it is going to be damaged, explode and burn my place? smile Thanks.

Re: Fireface 802 Mac and PC at the same time?

It is possible, but you have no control when both computers are on which port is used. Also the 802 must be perfectly grounded to the same (valid) ground as the computers, or chances for a fried FW-port rise significantly.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by schtirlitz1977 2015-02-08 20:19:39)

MC wrote:

It is possible, but you have no control when both computers are on which port is used. Also the 802 must be perfectly grounded to the same (valid) ground as the computers, or chances for a fried FW-port rise significantly.

Thanks a lot for answer!!  I want to use firewire port with Mac and usb port with PC. Hope it is going to work smile

Russian roulette!

Only reliable way is to only have one computer connected or on at a time.

On music hiatus, so RMEs have gone to homes where others can enjoy them.

@MC / RME

How about having a Mac connected to the 802's firewire port and the Expert Sleepers ES-8 (USB to CV Interface) connected to the 802's USB port for use with Ableton's CV Tools (my ADAT ports are not available, so trying to find a workaround...)?

Would this work and how to do the above-mentioned grounding correctly?

Many thanks!

bump.
Anyone else who would like to share their thoughts?

Me to RME:

Me:
"Any idea what happens if I connect UFX+ simultaneously USB3 to PC and Thunderbolt to Mac? I don't have Thunderbolt cable currently but if I it'd work simultaneously then I would get one!"

RME: "This won't work, sorry"