Topic: Can I still use Hammerfall DSP Multiface (1) with Mac OS X 10.7.5

I have have been using a Hammerfall DSP Multiface (original, version 1) very happily for years now, with my latest Mac OS being 10.6.8.

I decided to upgrade to Lion, OS X 10.7.5 today, but the Multiface does not show up in Logic, only built-in stuff.  I'm assuming I would need a new driver but can't see anything recent for the Multiface. I assume that means it's obsolete? At least, if I want to go above 10.6.8?

I use a Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon.

Many thanks for anyone's help.

Re: Can I still use Hammerfall DSP Multiface (1) with Mac OS X 10.7.5

How is the MF connected here?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi,

thanks for quick reply.

I remember I did update/upgrade the MF some years ago when I got the Mac Pro, and looking at emails I see I obtained and fitted a RME PCI Express HDSPe card.

It's connected to the Mac Pro with what looks like a Firewire cable from Host Output of MF.

Hope that helps.

Many thanks

Duncan

You might need to put the HDSPe PCIe card into a different computer (where it is recognized) to be able to flash it to the latest version. Then it will most probably also work in the Mac Pro. If you have no other computer try a different PCIe slot if available, and a warm boot.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

So basically you're saying the Multiface with PCI Express HDSPe card definitely ought to work with Lion, it may just need a restart (meaning warm boot?)?  I don't have another computer but i could try it in a different slot.

If I do that does this mean I can't go back and use it on 10.6.8? I'm just a bit concerned about discovering for other  reasons it wasn't a great idea to update to Lion (other possible yet-to-be-discovered compatibility issues with other hardware/software etc).

The new firmware is downward compatible and also works with older drivers.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

That thread clearly states 'No drivers for PCI/CardBus on current Macs'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Just one more question as OP about updating Multiface and PCI Express HDSPe card so as to work with 10.7.5.

If i want to update MF beyond 10.7.5 will firmware still be compatible with Mavericks and Yosemite and any further, as far as you know?

Many thanks

The firmware does not provide OS compatibility, it is there to support driver features.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

OK, sorry, I am now confused. I asked on 25-02-10 and 25-02-11 if my MF with RME PCI Express HDSPe card ought to  work with Mac 10.7.5. It is currently running with 10.6.8, but it was not recognized when I upgraded to 10.7.5.

I understand from RME responses that it should work with 10.7.5.  Mathias has said on 2015-02-11 that a  different PCIe slot and a warm boot  will probably "be able to flash it to the latest version" and it will then work in the Mac Pro (which it does already, as stated, but I assume he means with 10.7.5 specifically, as per question).

Mathias also said on 2015-02-11, when I asked about going back to running 10.6.8 again at a later date, that "The new firmware is downward compatible and also works with older drivers."

I am simply asking if it therefore also upward compatible and will work with all newer drivers.

My bottom line is simply whether it is safe and OK for me to upgrade to later OS versions without messing things up and causing myself problems, or if I should stick with 10.6.8, if I wish to keep using this MF and card (which I do).

Are you simply saying the the MF and HDSPe card should do so in any case in all circumstances (possibly with help of warm boot etc), and there is no connection to firmware updates etc.

many thanks

Mac OS is different to Windows in some regards. Compatibility of the Mac internal hardware for example with PCIe energy saving functions can change with the OS version, but the latest firmware for the HDSPe PCIe card will work in all cases.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

12 (edited by funkster 2015-02-23 20:25:12)

Just thought I'd let you know what happened with this.... I was still getting no recognition of MF/Hammerfall till I installed the latest driver Mac OS X Intel driver Version 4.03 and Mac OS X Intel Flash Update Tool for HDSPe System 05/29/2013 from the site, plus updated Totalmix.

The HDSPe updated successfully, without change of slot, and showed in the Settings panel and Totalmix, but still not in anything else. e.g. System Sound Preferences or  Logic 9, even with several "warm boots". That was yesterday, however, and I was all set for a struggle to get it working today, but when I fired up the Mac Pro today, it suddenly showed up where it should and Logic is now working fine with it... no idea what changed.