Topic: Sync, Framerate and iOS

Hello,

I had a couple of issues with my fireface UFX when using it in CC Mode with the totalmixFX App on the iPad.
I used the UFX together with one Octamic2 via ADAT and used the totalmix App to do some inEar mixes for live shows.
I wonder what is the best way to handle framerate and clocking when workling with iOS and ADAT. Because sometimes one ore more ADAT channels where suddenly missing and from time to time my metronome App didn´t work properly or produced strange sounds. All in all it sounds like an issue with the framerate for me. So what is the safest way...?

- totalmix App allways in background mode? (in which situations might it be better to turn it off?)
- UFX or Octamic2 as clock-master?
- sync via ADAT or BNC?
- which framerate works best with iOS (does it matter?)

One other issue is that it makes some popp-noises on all outputs of the UFX when I reconnect the iPad. This is really a problem when using it in live situations. Is there a way to avoid that?

I also asked myself if it can couse some issues when i put the iPad to sleep when connected to the UFX.

Can someone help?

Thanx

Jonas

Re: Sync, Framerate and iOS

Hi,
It's not a sync problem, the ios switches your samplerate to 96kHz when you use apps without their own sampleratesettings, and that reduces your ADAT-channels (above 48kHz).

When disconnected, the UFX keeps the current Samplerate, but when reconnected it switches temporary to 96kHz then back to 48kHz or 44,1kHz.

Not only the channels are reduced, also duREC stops recording!
So for live setups, it's a little bit risky with the iPad-app.

This is an ios behavior and RMEs hands are tied.

Fireface UFX | Fireface800 | Babyface | Octamic II | ADI-2 | ADI-648 | Audient asp 008

So there is no way to use the ipad App to control the ADAT inputs without expecting to loose channels from time to time? This is really stupid. Acually I didn't use any other apps but totalmix and my metronome, which normally works perfectly together. but obviously there are some things happening in the background from iOS that can cause these isues. hmm... shounldn't "background mode" solve the problem? what about to put everything to 96kHz right from the start? then there are only 8 ADAT channels with SMUX, but better than nothing. I find it very useful to use the UFX as a digital mixer for live, but if it doesn't work safely it doesn't make any sense at all.
What about a standalone-remote mode in the future? No interface for the ipad, only controlling totalmix...

So does it acually matter if the UFX is master or slave when using it with iOS?

thanks

4 (edited by Urban 2015-02-20 21:17:37)

Yes, not applicable for live shows/recordings.

ognam wrote:

... shounldn't "background mode" solve the problem? what about to put everything to 96kHz right from the start? then there are only 8 ADAT channels with SMUX, but better than nothing. I find it very useful to use the UFX as a digital mixer for live, but if it doesn't work safely it doesn't make any sense at all.

Try it, i am waiting for the "Totalmix wireless app" (Go on Stage without Cable, check Monitorsound....Go around check Sound everywhere....), but there is nothing scheduled from RME. Don't know why.
Indeed you need a computer for that (wlan).

The UFX has to be the Master in order that the Preamp is set to the IOS Samplerate.

Urban

Fireface UFX | Fireface800 | Babyface | Octamic II | ADI-2 | ADI-648 | Audient asp 008