Topic: No sound after update 4.06 drivers

I have an HDSP 9652 going to a MOTU 2408mii in standalone mode for DA conversion.

I am new at all this, but the set up previously worked. After installing the 4.06 drivers I see activity in TotalMix, but the ADAT output does not seem to be reaching the MOTU, since here is no sound (and no led activity on the MOTU).

I played around with the settings in TotalMix, but nothing seems to work. Any idea what I might be missing?

Re: No sound after update 4.06 drivers

Check the SPDIF OUT setting in the Settings dialog of the 9652.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I believe I have the SPDIF out correct:

http://i.imgur.com/tdcjkwd.png

The MOTU 2408 has LED level indicators on the front panel and it is not lighting up at all.

Not at all. You want to have ADAT format, but now you have SPDIF on the port labelled ADAT1. And the input wrong as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for pointing that out. I reread the manual and now see I misunderstood how the SPDID options work. I unchecked ADAT1 in SPDIF Out; and checked coaxial in SPDIF In (I am not using it).

Now the level LEDs on the front of MOTU are moving, and the headphone LEDs are lit and there is sound out of the headphones. But no sound (and no LEDs on) for the main output.

Can I assume the problem now lies in MOTU territory (even though there are very few switches when running in DA standalone mode)? Or is there a possibility I missed something else on the RME side?

That is now a routing problem. You haven't set the necessary routing in the Motu , or don't send audio on the correct channels via ADAT.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by hegelsholiday 2015-02-23 19:42:12)

On the MOTU front panel controls, one can only select the clock source and freq, the ADAT source, and bounce (to shift the channel outs).

On the RME, you say send the correct channels via ADAT. You mean selecting the Main Hardware Out in TotalMix (which is ADAT1&2) and then adjusting the level on Playback ADAT1/2 to establish a route?

Also, on Hardware Out, Assign is set to ADAT1&2.

I don't own a Motu, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

As you have already hinted at yourself, once you get all the ADAT signals into the MOTU, the rest is happening in MOTU territory, i.e. the configuration of the "Main Hardware Out" and how to route signal there.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I just borrowed a Behringer Ultragain (using different cables also) and I don't get sound of it either, so maybe I don't have something configured correctly on the RME side.