Topic: how to activate talkback without muting reverb return

As the subject says: Is there a way to activate Talkback without muting reverb ?

I need to keep talkback active while recording a singer that would benefit from reverb in headphones... I just cannot figure out how...

2 (edited by AviZiv 2015-02-23 00:12:11)

Re: how to activate talkback without muting reverb return

This may be related to something I observed today while trying to get talkback to work for the first time. It seems to me (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong) that the reverb wet signal is routed to the performer headphones always - even if talkback is turned off. This causes a little bit of processed talkback signal to be routed and heard on the headphones. I realize that this happened because I had the talkback mic sending signal to the FX bus and so I cut that send and it fixed the problem. Still - I would think that if you have talkback set up, the FX path should be cut off (the send?) at the same time as the dry signal for the talkback mic.  No?

As the subject says: Is there a way to activate Talkback without muting reverb ?

I need to keep talkback active while recording a singer that would benefit from reverb in headphones... I just cannot figure out how...

In such a scenario you don't need Talkback. Instead you simply feed your mic to the singer's headphone.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

> Still - I would think that if you have talkback set up, the FX path should be cut off (the send?) at the same time as the dry signal for the talkback mic.  No?

No need for complicated and completely obsolete technical routines. Switch off reverb send (as you did) - problem solved. If there was a problem in the first place...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

> Still - I would think that if you have talkback set up, the FX path should be cut off (the send?) at the same time as the dry signal for the talkback mic.  No?

No need for complicated and completely obsolete technical routines. Switch off reverb send (as you did) - problem solved. If there was a problem in the first place...

I do realize it was my mistake to send the talkback mic to the FX bus...it just took a while to discover the source of the wet signal in the headphones when talkback was not engaged. Not sure what "obsolete technical routine" you were referring to though. I just wanted a simple talkback mic. If there is another usage model where FX is needed on the talkback mic, then I'm not aware of it yet. I'm relatively new to the game though.

Thanks