Topic: Strange Noise

Hey there, i use two RME MF II in my PC. I haven't worked with music for a bit and i now do have some issues with digital (?) noise. Please see this soundfile:

http://yourlisten.com/Lunatic/output-multiface

I have the issue on both my Multiface II. It doesn't matter if they are both connected or just one is. The noise output is -51db

To be more detailled here is a little description of my setup:

2x MFII -> the first is connected to the second via SPDIF (Professional) & Wordclock
1x Fostex VC 8 connected to the first MF II by ADAT & Wordclock
1x Adcon Marian connected to the second MFII by ADAT. The sync is also ADAT

All LEDs that should be lit are green. No red, no nothing. Keep in mind: the noise also appears when either Multiface is connected to the PC. So it can't be an issue with the peripherals.

MSI X58 Pro i7@930, 12GB
W10 Pro x64, Reaper, Wavelab
5x MF II, 5x MF
E-mus and many other animals

2 (edited by lunatic 2015-03-07 19:25:46)

Re: Strange Noise

Ok, so the problem is solved but in a strange way. Today i turned on my PC and found my Total Mix FX windows in a strange state. Both Windows were Multiface (1) and when i tried to activate it for the other Multiface it showed "disconnected". The breakout box had the host LED flashing even though it was properly connected.
I tried both HDSP Express cards but then it was shown as Digiface and in the settings dialogue under the disconnect checkbox it showed "detected". Rebooting and reinstalling the driver didn't help. I then disconnected it from power but that did not help either.
I turned of my Furman power conditioner and when i turned it back on and rebooted my PC everything was back to normal. I turned up the volume and found that also the irritating noise was gone, yay!

Still I need to find out what happened. The only thing i believe could have caused this is heat. Please take a look at the picture and tell me if my setup could cause overheating. There is plenty of space in the rack above, to the back and left and right. Only in the middle and below there is not. Do you think this is problematic and can cause the described issues?

Cheers, Andréhttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33885/IMAG0406.jpg

MSI X58 Pro i7@930, 12GB
5x MF II, 5x MF

After a bit of testing, i do now have the issue, that anytime i reboot the PC one of the Multifaces gets recognised as a Digiface hmm The only thing that helps is to totally separate the Mutliface from the power supply, plug it back in and restart the PC. Any Ideas? This is quite bothersome...

MSI X58 Pro i7@930, 12GB
5x MF II, 5x MF

Try a different FireWire cable. Swap the Multifaces to see if the error follows. Swap the power supplies, they might be on the edge of failing.

If the problem continues after all the 'Digiface' unit or the card where it is connected to need servcie.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you Matthias! The Problem with the MF not being recognised really is the power supply. By changing it, I can reproduce the error on both Multifaces. Will need a new one then.

However one of the Multifaces still has the noise issue. With or without power supply. I guess i need to send this in to get serviced?

MSI X58 Pro i7@930, 12GB
5x MF II, 5x MF

Could you make the file downloadable without the need for a Flash player?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hey Daniel, here you go: https://www.sendspace.com/file/nktdpe

MSI X58 Pro i7@930, 12GB
5x MF II, 5x MF