Topic: Babyface Pro

Hi,

I've seen the Musikmesse video about the new Babyface.
Great news, no breakout cables and lots of great features! Compliments RME.

Still I have a few doubts:

1 - is this Babyface totally manufactured in Germany?
2 - when will it be available?
4 - the Babyface at the Musikmess was installed on some sort of metal support, will RME sell this support too?
3 - any clues regarding listening and measures differences between the old Babyface and the Pro?

Re: Babyface Pro

On the video they said the metal support is a mic stand. So you can connect it to any compatible stand.

Hi miscend,

yes I know that any metal support or mic stand can be attached. Since that table stand looks sturd, simple, and why not, it can be cheap, if RME sells it as an accessori for the Babyface Pro, my interest in it is even greater.

BTW do you have any news on the place of manufacturing of the Pro?

At the time of the videos I wasn't informed that the stand is a 'standard' part made and available by König&Meyer (K&M). It is the 'Design microphone table stand 23250'.

http://produkte.k-m.de/en/product?info= … b732699331

So while we won't sell it directly, it should be available to you at the usual sources.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by evg2012 2015-04-20 10:07:36)

Hi Matthias,

and what about the manufacturing? Will it always  be "Made in Germany"?

Thanks

6 (edited by evg2012 2015-04-20 10:06:59)

I was wondering if RME has programmed any changes for the jog wheel finish to avoid what happend to my BF as shown in the pic.
I don't wear long nails, and I have mostly used my BF at the top of my desk, only few times it has been used outside of my room, still it started to peel off. Having this repaired would have meant to stay for some days without it (weeks ?) while sending it to the assistance center in Rome. A better finish material would be greatly appreciated.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8EPl0 … sp=sharing

The new babyface Pro no longer has color on its housing, wheel or buttons.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Matthias,

still no answer about the german manufacturing of the Babyface Pro.

Regards

9 (edited by panatrope 2015-04-21 00:34:28)

I was wondering when this would finally eventuate.  Seems the time has been well spent.  Of course, a hands-on will be the only way to check.

I must go back and look at my previous post envisioning the Babyface Redux, but memory suggests that a few keys points have been addressed.  High on the list was increased gain (allowing dynamic mics for field reporting).  Still only 3dB gain steps, but 70dB gain seems more useful. Looking forward to the performance of the new preamps (not PGA2500-based I presume). Non-optical digital out (particularly AES) didn't make the cut, apparently (useful as a two-preamp extension for other devices that take digital input)..

Given issues of powering with iPhones etc in Class Compliant mode, it will be interesting to see if the voltage range for the dc power input has been lowered to encompass 5V (to allow field powering from USB power-pack devices without relying on the USB Y-cable technique.* ( If the Babyface can run from 5V on USB it seems logical to be able to handle 5V from the dc power connection as well.)

Sounds like some winter fun here (south of the Equator).

*Afterthought: we haven't by chance sought Apple powering certification?

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

It is not 70 dB gain, but 71 dB gain range (due to the PAD). The sensitivity (your topic) has been improved from -48 dBu to -52 dBu at full gain.

The normal power input works from 8 V up. The USB bus power works from 3.6 V up. It works much better than the old Babyface did.

* This unit is not MFi and therefore does not charge the iPad.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

11 (edited by busterfriendly 2015-04-22 15:04:37)

Hi Matthias

I think for some users here, Made in Germany = the RME rock-solid quality we know and love.

It's a reality in modern manufacturing that many products are made on the other side of the world, but the guy is asking a legitimate question which you have ignored twice.

I would also appreciate an answer to the 'Made in Germany?' question.

So I suggest you either answer it, or say you won't/can't.

Thanks

Joe

Frankly, I think the whole 'Made in' concept is very much a relic of 20th century.
What you really want to know is if it's made in China, and if it is, you will assume it's of lower quality.

That is pure prejudice, they are perfectly capable of building a quality product.

What really matters is quality control, under same conditions a skilled Chinese worker can make a product of same quality as a German or anyone else.

Where is your computer made in ? Who made your iPhone ?

Yes, Chinese make lot of cheap crap, but guess what, it's exactly what the market wants.
They can also make quality stuff, but it takes more time and costs more.

BTW, I'm not Chinese and have no idea where RME products are made.

Sorry, I overlooked that one (Messe stress). The Babyface Pro has been designed and engineered in Germany, of course. It is manufactured (by manufacturers that also work for other well-known and respected brands in the pro audio world) under our supervision in China and Hongkong.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

14 (edited by Timur Born 2015-04-23 09:11:17)

When "Made in Germany" was invented by the British, they did so to reveal cheap imported German (copies of quality British) products. wink

15 (edited by evg2012 2015-04-23 11:14:18)

If it's manufactured in China I belive that this BF Pro, apparently priced € 749,00 (same price as the old BF) is rather expensive.

You saw the video, you are aware of the 'lots of great features', the total changes and improvements, and really think that comes for free? The housing machined from a block of aluminum alone would be worth the price difference...

BTW, the original Babyface was no 'Made In Germany' product either.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Matthias, if you say so I'll take it for granted!

I'm aware many manufacturers work as good as any german, usa or european one, specially under other parties engeneering, design, etc. One for all Apple inc.
Anyhow I'm looking forward to have the new born baby in my hands and ears.

Thanks for your time over here

18 (edited by Yorrrrrr 2015-05-23 05:43:05)

Hi. I know the converters for the original Babyface are the TI PCM4104 (DA) and AKM AK5385B (AD)..

How about the converters used for DA-AD in this new Babyface PRO unit?

The Babyface Pro is perfect for my needs, I would buy it in a heartbeat if it weren't made in China.

I'm not doubtful of China's ability to produce quality goods—but I don't like supporting an oppressive dictatorship, slavery, and unfair trade practices. Many other countries provide inexpensive labor and an electronics manufacturing infrastructure without being civil rights abusers.

In the current climate, and going forward, I feel the issue of supporting totalitarian regimes is very important.
China could have ended the war in Ukraine before it even started.
Now the Chinese goverment spend their efforts feeding their population fake news about the war.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ … ts-ukraine

And crack down on freedoms in Hong Kong.
https://www.amnesty.org/en/location/asi … hong-kong/

Meanwhile strong evidence to their vile human right abuses mounts up.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/85qiht … tion-camps

Why on earth is RME doing business with China?