1 (edited by Cymurai2000 2015-04-28 08:06:36)

Topic: HDSP 9632 and Babyface and amount of XLR inputs and phantom power

My question is about the RME HDSP 9632 PCI sound card.  I have done some searches here in this forum and I have not found a definitive answer to my questions.  I've have read through the overview of the 9632 here:
http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/hdsp_9632.php

I also read through the manual.  It seems you can plug in 2 XLR mics via a breakout cable; model number BO9632XLRMKH found here:
http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/cables.php#4

My first question is about the phantom power for condenser microphones.  Does the 9632 supply phantom power to these XLR input jacks?

My other question is about the maximum amount of XLR microphones that can be recorded at once.  It seems that the limitation is physical and maxes out at 2 XLR inputs.  The breakout cable only has 2 XLR input and 2 XLR output jacks.  It also seems like the babyface mobile USB device uses the same type of cabling.  Is there any way to increase this maximum amount of XLR inputs to 4 or greater?  Is it the same maximum on both the Babyface and the 9632?  Does the babyface supply phantom power as well?  I wanted to find a way to connect 4 XLR inputs on the babyface as well.

The reason I ask is that I wanted to start a podcast and I will always have at least 2 people hosting and maybe 2 or more people as guests.  I wanted to mic each individual, so that I can put each person on a separate track in a DAW and have the ability to edit each track individually.  Usually the higher quality choices for this type of scenario are low end condenser mics with phantom power.

Is there a different breakout cable I can use? Or even a different breakout box with more XLR inputs?  Is there a way in the software to change XLR output jacks into input jacks, to make a total of 4 inputs?  Or am I going in the wrong direction and have to attempt to use a different RME card?

Re: HDSP 9632 and Babyface and amount of XLR inputs and phantom power

The HDSP9632 has no microphone inputs. The XLR are balanced line inputs. To use microphones you need an external microphone preamp.

The Babyface has two microphone inputs with phantom power.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Cymurai2000 2015-04-29 10:07:59)

If you were to use a microphone preamp with several microphones connected which then is connected to HDSP 9632, would a DAW be able to pick up each microphone as separate channel?
I am trying to find a hardware solution that can pick up several mics at once and give them all their separate channels in a DAW.  Could you recommend something that RME might have that can help me?

Yes, if that preamp has got an ADAT output, like this one: http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/octamic_xtc.php

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME