Topic: Problem with ADI-8 + Multiface 2 at 96k

I am working on a session with a sampling frequency of 96kHz. I have a Multiface 2 which is connected to an ADI-8 DS converter. The clock is set to ADAT. The ADI-8 is set to 48k and double speed. The Multiface control panel shows 96k and that the device is locked to ADAT.

I can record tracks through 4 inputs of the ADI-8. The recorded audio sounds ok. But when I zoom in closely on it I can see that every second sample doesn't have a value, i.e. the value is minus infinite. It seems as if it's been recorded at 48k instead of 96k.

Why could this be? And how can I correct it?

I am also wondering why inputs 1 and 2 on the hardware are both showing up as input 1 in TotalMix. Inputs 3 and 4 become input 2 in TotalMix and so on.  I am sure this has something to do with the issue but I wouldn't know how else to connect the ADI-8 to the Multiface.

Re: Problem with ADI-8 + Multiface 2 at 96k

Did you use 2 adat cables for the smux? So 2 out cables of ADI to 2 inputs of multiface.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

The Multiface has only got one ADAT input...

Please provide a screenshot of the HDSP mixer / Totalmix. If you are seeing 8 ADAT channels, the unit hasn't switched to 96k somehow.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

4 (edited by hammerton 2015-04-30 12:07:13)

TotalMix switches to 4 ADAT inputs as soon as I set the Multiface to 96k.

Am I correct in assuming that with two ADAT cables between the Multiface and the ADI-8 I should be able to use the first 4 ADAT inputs and outputs? Using all 8 ADAT channels obviously isn't possible with a Multiface.

My ADI-8 is a very early DS model. It still has the old front plate that the ADI-8 Pro and the Multiface 1 used to have. I don't know if this makes any difference.

I can provide you with a screen shot but I don't think this will help.

BTW I am using the latest drivers with TotalMix FX.

Yes, you will get 4 channels. The frontplate makes no difference.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

So do you have any explanation for the fact that the input signals seem to be sampled at 48k while in 96k mode?

And what about the routing issue? As I said, what I am getting at 96k is this:

ADI-8 inputs 1 and 2 -> TotalMix ADAT In 1
ADI-8 in 3,4 -> TotalMix ADAT In 2
ADI-8 in 5,6 -> TotalMix ADAT In 3
ADI-8 in 7,8 -> TotalMix ADAT In 4

Can you confirm this is not the way it's supposed to be? Then maybe my converter is defective?

You may have overlooked the input section's "Process" button, which needs to be set to DS also...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Indeed. That's it! Stupid me. Thanks!

But wouldn't it be easier to just have one button to switch the device to 96k? I can't imagine a scenario where I would use the converter at 96k but leave the a/d conversion at 48k ... doesn't make sense to me.

That's why we changed that in later units wink

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME