Topic: RME HDSP 9632 and "Record what U hear"

I know in windows 7 and above, in the sound recording devices menu, there is an option called "stereo mix" and that essentially allows you to record everything you hear.  Sometimes it's called "Record What U Hear", on my particular windows box, it just states "Stereo Mix".  Whenever you hear anything coming through the headphones or speakers, it gets picked up and recorded as a file.

With the RME HDSP 9632 installed, would I still be able to do the "Record what U hear" and mix in other inputs like mics and such all at the same time in a DAW?

I wanted to be able record 2 -4 mics and be able to record different sound files that are played off of my computer or sounds from the browser (e.g. an internet soundboard website) all at the same time.  This all for the same podcast setup I talked about in a previous post.

How would something like this be done? Would you have to use a weird cabling solution, where you use a cable from the output of the computer into a mic preamp box?  Can this all be done in software?

Thank you for all your help.

Re: RME HDSP 9632 and "Record what U hear"

Not sure if it works with Windows "Record What U Hear" but it definitely works with RME's own Loopback feature found in TotalMix and TotalMixFX (explained in Manuals).