Topic: Need Help with sorting tech issues. [complete newbie level]

Hi, i dont know anything about this (you been warned - perhaps this questions will give you cancer)

I want to record sounds (i like high quality sounds - im very sensitive to it)  - but can't afford mixing engineer to sort out gear issues (so i have to search for my own)

I want to buy RME Fireface UFX interface and RME Micstasy as a mic preamp so i have a questions about this:

1. I understand UFX have its own A-D convernters so the Micstasy - wich one to use ? wich one have superior conventers and if i use converters on Micstasy - what cable should i buy to transmit digital signal to UFX? (watched some videos but they are targeted to medium or advanced users)

2. If you have a good A-D converter and good mic preamp whats the point of owning good interface?

3. Will Schoeps small diaphragm microphones (CMC series) go well with Micstasy ? (whats the thing with 48V phantom power?) or i need some power converter? (i dont whant to fry expensive mics) http://www.thomann.de/gb/schoeps_schoeps_cmc64_set.htm

4. Whats a STEADY CLOCK? and what Clock does in this gear?

Any link to articles instead of explaining everything first hand will do.

Thanks.

2 (edited by Timur Born 2015-05-01 12:15:53)

Re: Need Help with sorting tech issues. [complete newbie level]

Hi Robert, let's go through your list.

Robert B. wrote:

I want to record sounds (i like high quality sounds - im very sensitive to it)  - but can't afford mixing engineer to sort out gear issues (so i have to search for my own)

Which makes you prone to trying to get "the best" instead of getting "what's needed".

I want to buy RME Fireface UFX interface and RME Micstasy as a mic preamp so i have a questions about this:

Why do you want to buy this combinations? How many inputs do you need?

1. I understand UFX have its own A-D convernters so the Micstasy - wich one to use ? wich one have superior conventers and if i use converters on Micstasy - what cable should i buy to transmit digital signal to UFX? (watched some videos but they are targeted to medium or advanced users)

The differences are more about function and internal build, not necessarily converters. They are different tools for different applications that partly overlap each others use.

You can connect the 8 Micstacy input via ADAT out to the UFX via optical ADAT cable, but since the Micstacy lacks ADAT in you cannot go the other way around. You can connect 2 inputs and outputs via AES cabling. But overall the UFX is not the interface to connect the Micstacy to, you rather need a MADI or AES interface for that.

2. If you have a good A-D converter and good mic preamp whats the point of owning good interface?

The Micstasy is not a computer interface, it's a preamp + converter. So you need some kind of connection between Micstasy and computer. There are many uses for the Micstacy where a computer connected isn't needed, like recording an orchestra in the hall and then transmitting the audio digitally over hundreds of meters to a control room mixer and recorder.

3. Will Schoeps small diaphragm microphones (CMC series) go well with Micstasy ? (whats the thing with 48V phantom power?) or i need some power converter? (i dont whant to fry expensive mics) http://www.thomann.de/gb/schoeps_schoeps_cmc64_set.htm

Seriously and nicely, despite the bold font: If you do not know about phantom power then pretty please do *NOT* spend thousands of Euro on equipment. It is way beyond your current level of expertise. Just get the UFX, UCX or Babyface based on the number of inputs/outputs (I/O) you need, get a (pair of) semi-pro microphone(s) - preferably suggested by some local audio dealer or just the Thomann hotline - and be good for a clear start!

Condenser mics need 48v phantom power to work, "dynamic" mics don't. This power is provided by the pre-amp of a mixer, interface or Micstacy like preamps. That being said, the Schoeps come with their own pre-amp built-in, so you likely wouldn't use the pre-amps of the Micstacy anyway. There also seems to be a digital version of the Schoeps, which should be able to digitally connected directly to a RME interface (UFX/UFC/BF), but I couldn't find info about that. Just ask your local dealer or Thomann.

When several interfaces are connected then one has to be the Master clock (there are also dedicated stand-alone Master clocks available), the others are "slaved" to that Master. Clocks can produce jitter (irregularities) which Steady Clock corrects for when it's connected to a jittery clock. So a RME interface that is slaved to a jittery clock will first correct the jitter as good as possible and then run its internal parts synced to the "corrected" clock signal. This improves signal quality.

There is no one link, because you are hitting several walls of not knowing basic and advanced audio stuff. People learn these things for a living, so it's not like you can get it all from one page. wink There are books out there, lots of web-pages (Wikipedia can help) and the RME Tech Info, FAQ and Glossary pages found here:

http://www.rme-audio.de/en/support.php

Again, don't go for expensive equipment that you deem "best", get something decent enough to get going and rather spend the money on education and a living.

Timur Born wrote:

Hi Robert, let's go through your list.

Robert B. wrote:

Which makes you prone to trying to get "the best" instead of getting "what's needed".

Why do you want to buy this combinations? How many inputs do you need?

right now: 4 but in the future 6 or 8.

Timur Born wrote:

You can connect the 8 Micstacy input via ADAT out to the UFX via optical ADAT cable, but since the Micstacy lacks ADAT in you cannot go the other way around. You can connect 2 inputs and outputs via AES cabling. But overall the UFX is not the interface to connect the Micstacy to, you rather need a MADI or AES interface for that.

But Why this guy (its from offical RME channel) use this combi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehPDnKwd-4g

Timur Born wrote:

The Micstasy is not a computer interface, it's a preamp + converter. So you need some kind of connection between Micstasy and computer.

yes i know that - a sound card - but why some expensvie one insted of medium level card? can't i just transmit digital signal from the conventer to low or medium level sound card? or the quality will be degraded ? (and why ? since its a digital signal not analog - wav files dont lose quality if you transfer them over a disk right?)

Timur Born wrote:

Seriously and nicely, despite the bold font: If you do not know about phantom power then pretty please do *NOT* spend thousands of Euro on equipment. It is way beyond your current level of expertise. Just get the UFX, UCX or Babyface based on the number of inputs/outputs (I/O) you need, get a (pair of) semi-pro microphone(s) - preferably suggested by some local audio dealer or just the Thomann hotline - and be good for a clear start!

I know a guitar player he's been on radio and national TV he don't know much about it but he use expensive gear.

And its to late already have a pair of mics (schoeps)- and buying a semi-pro gear at half the price just to learn so i can buy pro gear - is not an option - don't have that kinda budget.

Timur Born wrote:

Condenser mics need 48v phantom power to work, "dynamic" mics don't. This power is provided by the pre-amp of a mixer, interface or Micstacy like preamps. That being said, the Schoeps come with their own pre-amp built-in, so you likely wouldn't use the pre-amps of the Micstacy anyway. There also seems to be a digital version of the Schoeps, which should be able to digitally connected directly to a RME interface (UFX/UFC/BF), but I couldn't find info about that. Just ask your local dealer or Thomann.

And if Schoeps have its own pre why Thomann used focusrite isa828 8ch preamp and UFX for recording a demo of a mic?

Timur Born wrote:

When several interfaces are connected then one has to be the Master clock (there are also dedicated stand-alone Master clocks available), the others are "slaved" to that Master. Clocks can produce jitter (irregularities) which Steady Clock corrects for when it's connected to a jittery clock. So a RME interface that is slaved to a jittery clock will first correct the jitter as good as possible and then run its internal parts synced to the "corrected" clock signal. This improves signal quality.

Thanks.

Timur Born wrote:

There is no one link, because you are hitting several walls of not knowing basic and advanced audio stuff. People learn these things for a living, so it's not like you can get it all from one page. wink There are books out there, lots of web-pages (Wikipedia can help) and the RME Tech Info, FAQ and Glossary pages found here:

http://www.rme-audio.de/en/support.php

Again, don't go for expensive equipment that you deem "best", get something decent enough to get going and rather spend the money on education and a living.

its ok if decent will provide the same sound quality as top gear (hard to belive that) - its the best or one of the best for me or not at all - buying cheep gear with medium level sound its just not an option - i need top quality samples so medium gear will be a waste of money.

Let keep it simple : So for top quality what setup is ok with the same price range as  RME Micstasy+RME UFX?

Maybe just recommend one - i have pair of Schoeps mic and planning to get two Neumann KM 150.

Remember people will pay money for these samples so i want clean sound with lots of dynamics and low noise level - these 3 aspects interest me the most because i hate to work with low quality samples.

Thanks for you time.

First of all, sorry for some misinformation in my last post. I shouldn't write these things on a holiday with my kids running all around me.

The Micstasy of course doesn't offer digital ADAT inputs, so you can use the UFX just as much as you could use the AES or Madi cards (with optional Madi module on the Micstasy).

Now again for the why and how: If you want to use only the Micstasy as pre-amp and converter then for "quality" it doesn't matter so much what RME interface you put in between the Micstasy and the computer, it's all digital anyway. But if you want to use both ADAT outs for 8 channels at 96 kHz then the UFX and 802 provide two ADAT inputs to complement the Micstasy.

Whether you will be able to hear a difference between using the Micstasy or just using your mics straight into the UFX is up to you. If you don't have a local dealer to listen to these things then I would just get the UFX to decide whether it meets your expectations. If it does not then you can still go and get a dedicated preamp (or maybe use the one provided in the Schoeps kit you linked to). Both the UFX and Micstasy aim to be transparent and not "sweeten up" the sound, so if this sound too clean/sterile for you a more "coloring" amp may be an alternative.

Mic-preamp-converter is only part of the sound anyway, compression, EQ, reverb (room and fx) and mixing are others.