Topic: Babyface Pro Release Date

Hello All,

I've searched the forum but I can't find any info regarding a release date for the Babyface Pro.  Does anyone know anything?

g

Re: Babyface Pro Release Date

Nobody knows anything - until we start shipping. Updates will be announced here in the forum, as well as the latest changes (read improvements) compared to the anouncement at Musikmesse.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

... the latest changes (read improvements) compared to the anouncement at Musikmesse.

Does this mean that there may be still hope for a more powerful FPGA allowing for TotalMix FX dynamics?
Hey, we are talking about Babyface Pro...

Do the babyface pro have matching in and outs, the old version of BF doesnt have it which made it hard to run outboard in pro tools on the mix buss. And has the headphones amp more power than previous version? Thx

1. Yes.
2. Yes.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by panatrope 2015-05-08 08:43:08)

The 'single block of aluminium' is indeed a professional touch (particularly compared to the BabyFace original proposed, but ultimately not proceeded with, plastic moulded case).   However, the absence of pro digital out is a bit disappointing.  (I understand the glass ouput to facilitate ADAT expansion).  Probably a bit demanding mechanically, but the ability to swap one of the physical XLR outs (nice design) to an AES out would be useful.  This gives the ability to use the BFPro as a pro-level standalone two channel pre/ADC - as such a need is often felt out in these parts.

It possibly would have been nice to have the improved performance of a PGA2500 front end (1dB gain steps, lower Ein) instead the apparent retained but re-configured PGA2005-type front end, but obviously this has not been a limitation for the majority of present users, who will focus on the added separate line inputs and the improved DSP/FPGA capabilities. 

Looking forward to seeing how the newcomer performs when it finally makes it into the real world.  Overall it does sound like a real step forward in portable interfaces.

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

No way for such an AES option.

Note that the shipping version has 1 dB steps from 0 to 65 dB gain with no bigger jumps in the whole range. This is a new design (no PGA at all), plus the 11 dB PAD, for a whopping total of 76 dB gain range. The minimum sensitivity is now -57 dBu for 0 dBFS, that is 9 dB lower than the old Babyface.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the clarification.  The 'new technology' pre-amp sounds interesting.  The added 11dB will cover the 10dB (max) I used to dial-in using the EQ section.  1dB gain steps are appreciated.

Looking forward to your summer/our winter.

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum