Topic: Internal sound board: Can't get rid of high-pitch audio buzz

I just built a brand new computer with an internal RME HDSPe AIO sound board. I can't get rid of a high-pitch noise coming out of both headphones and monitoring speakers. It is not hum. The noise is continuous in the background but the level increases when I use my mouse or my keyboard, none of which are wireless (both are hard-wired). The noise level also increases when I scroll down a PDF file, for example. I replaced the PC power supply with two other spare ones that I have, and there has been no improvement (I expect the sound board to be shielded, anyway). I removed the sound board and enabled the onboard soundcard of the mobo to try it instead. I can also hear the same noise coming out of the "phones" and "line out" sockets of the onboard soundboard. I measured with an ohmmeter between the PC case and the power supply enclosure: I have 0 ohm. All sliders of the soundboard are maxed out. The monitoring speakers and the phones produce no noise when plugged directly to a synth. I'm running out of solutions at this point… I could buy an external sound interface, but I'm not sure this would solve this problem (besides that this soundboard fits my needs – once this issue is solved). What could I do ?
Thank you!

Re: Internal sound board: Can't get rid of high-pitch audio buzz

For testing try this. Disconnect everything but the headphones from the AIO and maybe also the network cable. Is the noise still there?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

I was about to post the same suggestion as above.... What is the card's serial number?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Do different Windows power schemes make a difference (Balanced, High Performance, Power Saving)?

I unplugged everything and kept only the mains cable and the phones connected but I still can hear the buzz. Here's the numbers I can read on the audio board:

rev 1.4

Thank you in advance.

6 (edited by Timur Born 2014-11-07 21:59:22)

Did you try the Windows power schemes yet?

What GPU do you use? Internal (Intel) or dedicated (Nvidia/AMD)?

Try different PCIe slots for the AIO (and even GPU card if you own a dedicated one).

Also try removing the screw that holds the AIO in place and put some tape in between the AIO's bracket and the chassis.

Did you try the Windows power schemes yet?

Yes, from the Windows control panel

What GPU do you use? Internal (Intel) or dedicated (Nvidia/AMD)?

Intel HD graphics (the one that comes onboard the Asus Z96 Pro Wifi ac motherboard.

Try different PCIe slots for the AIO (and even GPU card if you own a dedicated one).

I tried two different PCIe slots (the upper and lower ones).

This is likely a problem with your mainboard, albeit even all of your three power-supplies could cause issues. The AIO is powered by the mainboard and tries to shield itself against power fluctuations, as evident by its good amount of capacitors. But sometimes the source problem is too much to deal with. And that even your onboard sound causes buzzing via headphones points to maybe even a broken part or some exotic setup on your part.

More you can try:

Remove all other external devices, including PCIe cards, USB, keyboard, mouse and even display. Also remove external speakers and then only listen to headphones. Then connect just the mouse and do some moving and scrolling around blindly (open a PDF before you remove everything). If this works then connect everything one by one again to find the possible culprit.

Maybe the mobo, then...Oh, well....Thanks again for your help.

Be aware that I only mean the headphones noise. Even with another mainboard (I tested Asus Z97 Deluxe for example) you can get noise over speakers, which then is a problem of groud connections over the audio cable in combination with the speakers earth line (3-prong power plug). If you are using balanced cables you can disconnect the shield on one side of the cables (pin1 on XLR), or you can put an adapter with ground-lift.

Timur Born wrote:

Be aware that I only mean the headphones noise. Even with another mainboard (I tested Asus Z97 Deluxe for example) you can get noise over speakers, which then is a problem of groud connections over the audio cable in combination with the speakers earth line (3-prong power plug). If you are using balanced cables you can disconnect the shield on one side of the cables (pin1 on XLR), or you can put an adapter with ground-lift.

i second this. i also think its grounding problem. i had this noise with a digiface setup... as soon as i connected the speakers on a different power socket, the machine noise from the pc stopped.

Hello, here's some more news.

I had a chance to test my RME HDSPe AIO in someone else's computer. It's a fairly new computer (less than a year old). Again, minimal setup, disconnecting everything one cable after the other. Only leaving the mouse USB cable, the mains cord, and the phone jack. No other cable. Same high-pitched continuous noise, increasing momentarily when scrolling up/down.

I also tried a Babyface (that I bought for my laptop computer), on this desktop computer. On my desktop computer, the Babyface produces no noise whatsoever when scrolling down, when launching a program, when opening a window. No background continuous high-pitched noise either.

Should I just take this RME HDSPe AIO board to an authorized service for repair? I can't even sell it second-hand, it is not functioning properly... I don't feel confortable purchasing a new one of the same model. I would so much like this board to work properly, as seamlessly as the Babyface :'(

Which brings up the question: how old is the AIO? Which revision number is shown on the PCB?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks. It is Rev. 1.4, with #66949. The board was bought from old-new stock, still boxed, with plastic wrapping. I had it kept unwrapped until earlier this month. So I don't know how old it is but it's been used for less than a month.

The board was shipped last week to RME technical support in Germany. Let's see...

What happened after this calande?
I'm curious, as I have the same problem with my PCI-version of the same card.

I sent it over to RME in Germany, and they fixed it. Now it's working perfectly, no more high-pitch noise smile

This is a problem specific to PCI Express, so you do not have the same problem, but a simple ground loop problem with your HDSP 9632.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

This is a problem specific to PCI Express, so you do not have the same problem, but a simple ground loop problem with your HDSP 9632.

Does this problem also affect the HDSP(e) series (Multiface)? because I too have always had a faint high pitched buzzing noise as well - and the only thing constant within my last three computers was this card.

Appreciate an update.

Cheers!

VP

Hi,

Really hope to get some help. I have the same problem with my HDSPe AIO - i've tried the above solutions/electrical tape/moving the card!

Ground loop problems are common in every studio, can be solved by galvanic isolation (transformer/DI box) or using strictly balanced connections. A Google search will give tons of info.

When the AIO fails even with balanced connections then the noise is generated within the computer. Please contact support for further help.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Ground loop problems are common in every studio, can be solved by galvanic isolation (transformer/DI box) or using strictly balanced connections. A Google search will give tons of info.

When the AIO fails even with balanced connections then the noise is generated within the computer. Please contact support for further help.

Hi Matthias,

I've been experiencing the same issue as the original poster with my newly purchased 1.4 rev AIO card (serial 23723466). With the balanced breakout, plugging just the headphones in results in no noise, but as soon as I connect XLR speakers or Mic inputs the high frequency buzz returns. Frustrated having found so many posts on here (old and new, 1.3 and 1.4 rev) but I have had success reducing the buzz by insulating the card with electrical tape. However, I'm a bit worried about this solution as it doesn't feel long-term and I feel I should not have to do this for such a card.

In various posts you've said that this issue is the case not grounded, etc. but I have tried the card in four various spec'd machines, all with the same result. I have tried in all PCIe slots, with and without GPUs, and various motherboards/chipsets. I notice that the original poster calande sent his card to you at Germany, where you guys did something and returned it. The card that was returned to him no longer exhibited this noise issue.

calande wrote:

I sent it over to RME in Germany, and they fixed it. Now it's working perfectly, no more high-pitch noise smile

Based on this my questions are:

1) If the card returned to calande no longer had the buzz, does this mean that issue with the AIO card high pitch buzzing was fixed by engineers in Germany?
2) I had read this affected 1.3 cards only, and 1.4 fixed this, but calande obviously has a 1.4 which appeared when returned from Germany. Does this issue affect some 1.4 cards?
3) If so, would sending the card to RME and having them correct it fix the issue permanently for me?

Having just purchased the card (this is my 3rd, actually - I RMA' the first two that had the same issue and then purchased elsewhere just to make sure) my options are to either send back another AIO within the next 2-3 weeks and try a different type of interface, or send to RME to have the problem addressed. I obviously wouldn't want to do the latter if I end up getting a card returned that does not fix the issue and can no longer be returned to the dealer.