Topic: TotalMix and Fireface USB Settings open on startup

When I start my Mac, these two apps open up automatically. They are not in the startup items (in the system preferences) because actually they start when the BabyFace is connected. Since it is connected all the time, they open up on every startup.

It's a bit annoying, is there a way to avoid that? I never use these apps. I use the BabyFace to bypass my Mac Pros sound card and I will be connected my KORG to it soon.

Some people tell me these apps need to be open in order for the interface to work. I doubt that because I've been working with it with a while now, and if I hear sound coming out, then it's obviously working (output is set to the BabyFace in the System Preferences of my Mac).

Thanks smile

Re: TotalMix and Fireface USB Settings open on startup

Nobody? sad

Use the BF with an external power supply and switch off / on your Mac. Still opening automatically?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It actually already is set that way - and yes it always reappears when I switch it on or when I login in an account.

So this is not normal?

No, not at all. The windows only open when the BF is newly connected. On normal boot or wake-up from sleep this should not happen.

What Mac OS is that and which driver and TotalMix?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by Florian-WH 2015-06-05 15:21:41)

It's the latest drivers, and as for OS X, I tried it on 10.9.4, 10.9.5 as well as various versions of Yosemite including the last one (currently installed).

I did a few fresh installs already, but it always behaved the same... hmm

Can you post a screenshot from after boot with those windows opened?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Here's a screenshot directly after login:

http://fs1.directupload.net/images/150606/hfyef9op.png

You can see the apps are open in the dock. When I login, the windows of both apps open very quickly and close themselves again. But the apps stay open and take space in the dock.

I didn't even notice that they close (close, not quit) themselves, I remember that before, when I wrote the original message, I had to close the windows each time myself.

But I'm not sure why these apps are opening themselves or why they need to stay open. When I close them the computer works just as when they are open - no difference. So kind of useless. hmm

Now that's what I call misleading statements. So the windows just appear for a blink and are gone again. That is fully normal and intended. Loading the two tools into the dock is even described in the manual, and also normal.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Well I guess I've got an old manual smile

The apps are still opened - just as described in my first post - yes the windows close themselves again, but the apps are open. I am wondering what the reason behind this is? Is it bad if I close them, i.e. should I leave them open all the time? What are the consequences of closing them?

If you close them, you need to find them again (if they are not in the dock) to change setting or use the mixer. For a pro audio card it is pretty normal to use them a few times a day or in case of the mixer a lot.
The reason they open is pretty obvious to me (and I am only a user); they load the previous settings and mixer state.
Just curious why you perceive it a as a problem.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Because I rarely use any of the settings, I bought the Babyface because 1) I knew it would have a good sound quality and 2) I could still record synths with it.
I wanted a good card with would allow me to record hardware if I needed, but still gave me a clear sound. But isn't not like I record hardware all the time, I work inside the box most of the time smile

To me, I prefer them opening all the time since I use the mixer a lot, plus I need to check or change the settings every now and then (sampling rate, or sample size win Windows)... So yeah, I think you should get used to having them open, they don't take that much space on your screen, nor a lot of your computer resources.

Loading the two tools into the dock is even described in the manual, and also normal.

Developer here, this is poor user experience, especially for Fireface USB Settings. I mean, how often are people changing the sample rate to their DSP box?

A more common user experience would be when the user "opens" the application the GUI pops to the front. If the user wants the application to show at startup, there's an option for "show at startup"--with that exact terminology. Otherwise, the application just remains a tray icon. For RME software, because of where it's used, I imagine opt-out would be more appreciated but you'd need user case studies to know for sure

So the windows just appear for a blink and are gone again. That is fully normal and intended.

Well, one, I have to cmd+tab two extra times to cycle my windows when I'm not using TotalMix (I only open TotalMix when changing inputs or routing.. which is like 3-4 times a week. Everything else is ITB) and I use Fireface USB Settings... never.

It's robbing me of brain power. A little, sure. But imagine if every application did that. Allowing the user to pick which applications are open vs running in the background is just a good citizen thing to do

And two, I'm not OP but my windows don't just blink (I'd find that annoying tbh), mine DO stay open.

I actually found this thread because I just created a second user on my studio machine for work... because sometimes I like to hang out in the studio and listen to music in a treated room while I do my job

Now every time I switch between the work account and my main/music account, the Fireface USB Settings pops up. I switch fairly often... lunch break, if I need to send an email.... When I was copying my preferences over and I was switching back and forth often that thing was testing my patience

I'm on 10.14.6, v128, driver 3.20

I did find a workaround...

Edit the application's `Info.plist`  In finder, go to Applications, go to the app, right-click, view contents, then it's in the Contents file

go to the end of the file, and just before the
</dict>
</plist>

add

<key>LSUIElement</key>
  <true/>

It won't show in the Dock or in the cmd+tab menu... so every time you want to get back to it you have to move your windows, do exposé, or find it in Launcher

For as often as I use those two, this is a workaround I can live with. But it's hard to agree with the design decision

If RME cares to fix the bug with it popping up on user switching I'd be happy to provide further information/testing/whatever

Adom Doledas wrote:

To me, I prefer them opening all the time since I use the mixer a lot, plus I need to check or change the settings every now and then (sampling rate, or sample size win Windows)... So yeah, I think you should get used to having them open, they don't take that much space on your screen, nor a lot of your computer resources.

This is a bad take. Give the user the option

Right now I have 17 applications in my cmd+tab menu. It all adds up. If I'm not using TotalMix on my current adventure I'd prefer to get it out of the way... it frees up brain power and screen real estate (my cmd+tab menu is literally from edge to edge on a 34" screen... it takes time to scan that). All of that little stuff adds up.

I've used Fireface USB Settings like twice and you know how many times I've had to press Tab to cycle past it? Thousands

16 (edited by rip_my_hearing 2022-03-22 02:52:58)

vinark wrote:

The reason they open is pretty obvious to me (and I am only a user); they load the previous settings and mixer state.
Just curious why you perceive it a as a problem.

Not OP, but you know how many settings get loaded on your machine every time you log in? Like... so many. It just happens in the background

I perceive it as a problem because it looks like someone didn't want to take the time to figure out how to run a background process and edit their code. It reminds me of my coding style with Visual Basic back 30 years ago before I knew any better lol

edit: Credit where credit is due, RME has their strengths and they are a force to be reckoned with in that area. There's undoubtedly a portion of the user base that just puts up with the UI because the core product performs well. And of course some like it and some just doesn't know better.

At the end of the day even the best devs make poor choices on occasion and sometimes we have to live with them. There's only so much time in the day... if RME said "hey we can do this feature request or we can cut out another 0.005 seconds of latency--which do you want?" my answer is going to be "Welp. I guess the GUI is going to stay annoying."

We all, myself included, get defensive about our design decisions--it's our baby. But it's useful to take a step back and try to empathize with the people who paid money for your product... and maybe consult a UI/UX expert or do user studies before lunging on users with valid complaints or suggestions for improvement. They may not get what they want but being told "we're not prioritizing that work" is a better experience than being told "you're wrong" or "you're not a professional" over what is, in fact, valid criticism... which seems to be a trend on this forum

So, maybe harsh critique, but it's not to be taken personal. I wouldn't bother for a product I didn't like. I hope to see RME grow and evolve and continue to drive the industry forward

17 (edited by popsicle 2022-08-04 03:03:09)

rip_my_hearing wrote:
Adom Doledas wrote:

This is a bad take. Give the user the option

Totalmix is required to make your interface work when you load your Mac.
AFAICT "Fireface USB Settings" app is not required to run when you load your Mac.

I stopped "Fireface USB Settings" app loading by moving "Fireface USB Settings" app to a new folder "RME" in my Applications folder. This stops the launch agent "de.rme-audio.RMEfirefaceUSBAgent.plist" from being able to load the "Fireface USB Settings" app.

I hardly ever need to use "Fireface USB Settings" so I just access it from the Applications/RME folder when I need it.

Cheers, Pops