1 (edited by Mauri 2015-06-13 20:02:41)

Topic: New computer woes...

Hi, this is basically the new DAW I've assembled and am desperately looking for help...

Cubase Pro 8 x64 | Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot on 2 SSDs plus 3 SSDs for samples and
project/audio files | i7 5930K @3.5GHz | Gigabyte-X99-UD3 | 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 3000MHz RAM | RME HDSPe AIO | ASUS HD 6570 video card.

The problem I have with my new computer is that even with a smallish project Cubase 'Average load' meter shows an abnormally high, about 60%, reading whilst the 'Real-Time' meter hovers near zero. It's even worse with Steinberg Power Scheme enabled. This should not be happening with a machine this powerful...

I've seen other similar post around but I can't remember if anyone resolved this issue, I've never had this problem before.

Any ideas?

Mauri.

P.S. I see there is a new update for the AIO, 'wonder if that will help??

Some of my 'stuff'. https://www.youtube.com/user/puutappi

Re: New computer woes...

Not familiar with "Steinberg Power Scheme enable" - but I assume this sets your PC's power profile to "High Performance" (where min/max CPU = 100%)?

Have you confirmed your system's DPC's are nice and low with no spikes?

Tried killing all power savings features for PCIe bus in BIOS?

All I got for now cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

The Steinberg Power Scheme disables CPU power-saving options (if the BIOS/EFI allows) to a further degree than the default "High Performance" profile, but the specific outcome may differ from hardware to hardware and from Windows version to Windows version. High CPU temperature and fan noise may or may not be one drawback.

Which "average load" meter is meant here? Can you provide a screenshot?

4 (edited by Mauri 2015-06-15 17:42:54)

I wrote quite a detailed reply here but it got lost some where...

The gist of it was that playing around with Cubase VST Audio System and disabling C1 C3 C6/7 and EIST in the Bios made quite difference, performance is not bad but I'm not totally convinced.

Running DPC Latency Checker I get these numbers when Cubase is running:

Current Latency: around: 80 - 120

Absolute Maximum: around 130

No spikes.

Does anyone here have any preferences/opinions about the suitability between Gigabyte-X99-UD3 and ASUS X99 Pro boards? I feel a little iffy about the Gigabyte board which I ended up with after two faulty ASUS boards.

Thanks,

Mauri.

If you are running DPC checks while the DAW is running then you get DPCs from the audio driver (if the audio engine is running) and the graphic driver (drawing the DAW surface). So 80-120 is a good value.

Just another Q:  Have you also checked for PCIe/PCI type power savings settings in your BIOS?  This can affect the PCI/PCIe traffic (your RME AIO PCIe card), and is separate from the CPU "C-states" and EIST (Speed Step) in BIOS.

I believe if PCI/PCIe power savings were enabled that you would see the results as elevated DCP's - so you are probably good there judging by your reported DPC's.

And furthermore, I believe the RME Driver can disable PCIe power savings on modern MoBo's running current RME drivers (but don't quote me on that!).  I ALWAYS disable this in BIOS anyways as a precaution...

And lastly: Now that you confirmed DPC's are acceptably low - what are your performance complaints with your current configuration?  (Or: Why do you think something is still wrong / feel "iffy" about your MoBo choice?)...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

7 (edited by Mauri 2015-06-21 17:46:24)

Thank you so much for trying to help!

I'll have to see what happens by changing the PCIe/PCI power settings.

I'm just a bit disappointed with the new machine. Loading my previous Cubase projects, created on my Intel Q6600 - ASUS P5E - 8GB RAM machine which it handled pretty well, although at higher buffer settings, I don't get the performance I expected.

Not only that, but loading, saving and closing Cubase with those same projects now takes at least four times longer (no kidding!), and I'm using the same SSDs drives. There must be a bottle neck somewhere.

The only thing that comes to mind is that the 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 3000MHz RAM I'm now using was originally bought as compatible for the faulty ASUS X99 Pro which supported it.
The Gigabyte board I'm using now supports RAM only up to 2800MHz and runs at the BIOS default setting of 2133MHz. Could that be problematic?

Long story... but I'm expecting a replacement for the faulty ASUS board and will then rebuild the machine so I guess I'll maybe find out whether that that makes a difference:/.

Thank you again,

Mauri.

Since you are using Windows 7, make sure to set a low number of WDM devices in the AIO settings in order to make Cubase start faster.

Timur Born wrote:

Since you are using Windows 7, make sure to set a low number of WDM devices in the AIO settings in order to make Cubase start faster.

In the WDM Devices dialog I have only Analog 1+2 selected but the "All" box on the right is automatically ticked as well but greyed out so it can't be deselected??

Thanks,

Mauri.