Topic: RME RayDat - TotalMix Output but no sound

Hi all.  Trying to post this again.  Not sure what happened to my last post, but it disappeared.

Anyway, I am new to the RME RayDat but many years of other interfaces.  I got a new RayDat card installed with two Behringer ADA8200.  All 16 channels input are showing up on the TotalMix fine.  By default the TotalMix set ADAT 1/2 outputs for the Main (which is what I wanted).  The Main is showing the meters has sound going to the outputs 1/2 and I have XLR going to my headphone amp... but there is no sound coming out.  I want to keep the output to ADAT 1/2 but I need sound.  I am not sure what else to do.  Can anyone help?

Re: RME RayDat - TotalMix Output but no sound

So your headphone amp has AES/EBU via XLR as input? I doubt so...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC,

No, my headphone amp has XLR or TRS (1/4") input and output.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the purpose of the all those 16 channels of ADAT output.  Once they come from the RayDat card (output) to the Behringer ADA8200, they are converted to analog within the ADA8200.  Regardless of what the sound is going to (headphone amp, mixer, speaker, amp, etc), when I set my "main" output to ADAT 1/2... analog sound "should" be coming out of the ADA8200 ADAT 1/2.  But nothing is coming out.  I see the "main" meters moving, but no sound.

Am I missing something, or am I mis-understanding the TotalMix?

darbyohara wrote:

No, my headphone amp has XLR or TRS (1/4") input and output.

But the Raydat's XLR connection is not an analog signal.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the purpose of the all those 16 channels of ADAT output.  Once they come from the RayDat card (output) to the Behringer ADA8200, they are converted to analog within the ADA8200.  Regardless of what the sound is going to (headphone amp, mixer, speaker, amp, etc), when I set my "main" output to ADAT 1/2... analog sound "should" be coming out of the ADA8200 ADAT 1/2.  But nothing is coming out.  I see the "main" meters moving, but no sound.

No sound where exactly? How, if at all, is the Behringer connected to the headphone amp?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Daniel,

I have two Behringer ADA8200 hooked into the lightpipe ins/outs of the RME RayDat card.  All analog inputs (mics, drums, guitars, etc) are showing up fine in the TotalMix input levels.

My MAIN output needs to be the ADAT 1/2 channels.  They are coming out of the ADA8200.  The levels in the TotalMix are jumping, so the sounds are going out the ADAT 1/2.  But there is no sound coming out of the ADAT 1/2.  They are XLR outputs.  So regardless what is hooked up to them, there is no sound coming out, although the TotalMix is showing that sound "should be" going out the ADAT 1/2.

I need the MAIN out to come out the ADAT 1/2 because I eventually want to use the other ADAT outputs for speaker mixes.

Again, the TotalMix is showing sound levels going out the ADAT 1/2, but there is no sound coming out the ADA8200 ADAT 1/2.  Can anyone help please?

6 (edited by vinark 2015-06-09 13:59:47)

How did you set up sample rates and clocking and what does the sync status report in the RME setup utility. It could be that if clocking is not set up properly or not working ok , the ADA's mute their outputs.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

You may need to talk to Behringer... If the signal is showing up in Totalmix and the cabling is correct, then indeed this should work. But perhaps the cable connections are not correct after all. Set the Raydat to internal clock and connect ADAT 1 Out to e.g. ADAT 3 In. Do you see the signal coming in on channels 17/18?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

(Once again, I typed a long reply and posted (sumbit reply)... refreshed and the post is gone)

Anyway, trying to post again...  I resolved my issue.  As vinark suggested, the ADA8200 was not set to slave.  I set them to slave and presto.. sound!  yippee!

My other question is regarding the FX.  I do not have any FX on my TotalMix like in the videos I watched.  Am I missing something?

The RayDAT card does not have FX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

darbyohara wrote:

(Once again, I typed a long reply and posted (sumbit reply)... refreshed and the post is gone)

Quite odd... Next time, make sure to copy the whole thing first...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

MC wrote:

The RayDAT card does not have FX.

I see.  So the FX button on my TotalMix is useless?  And a few videos I have watched on the TotalMix, when the narrator opened a channel there were FX buttons that my TotalMix do not have.  What am I missing or not understanding about the FX in TotalMix?  Sorry for such basic questions, but again, I am very new to the RME product and software.

The effects are rendered in nardware, not in software. With the exception of the HDSPe MADI FX, the PCI/e cards' older hardware does not support effects.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

The effects are rendered in nardware, not in software. With the exception of the HDSPe MADI FX, the PCI/e cards' older hardware does not support effects.

Can someone explain how these folks get the FX controls in each channel?  See around 1:08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeKpM13 … e=youtu.be

I don't have those kind of FX control options in my channels at all.  How would the software possibly know that a compressor or a reverb/delay is hooked up.  And how would you hook up any of those devices with a RayDat card?  I find little or no help.

They use Fireface UFX not Raydat.

bgor wrote:

They use Fireface UFX not Raydat.

Thanks bgor.  Sorry for such elementary question.  I am new to the RME products...