1 (edited by aaronnt1 2015-06-22 20:47:42)

Topic: HDSP 9632 headsphone amp?

Hi, I'm looking for some info on the 9632 regarding headphone amplification.
Does it have an inbuilt amplifier? I have the 9632 and I use it with my Senn HD650 300ohm headphones and there is plenty power no doubt to drive them, I use them on the lowest -12db setting and there s plenty of juice to drive the phones very loud.

But I read someone say that an RME rep said of his Babyface - 'There is no "internal amp" in the outputs. The output level is digitally controlled (maximum output level @ 0 dBFS Phones: +8 dBu)."

is this the same for the 9632 or does it indeed have a dedicated on board amp?

My ultimate goal is to try to figure out if the onboard 9632 amp (if it indeed has one) is good quality or whether I should get a dedicated headphone amp - I want very neutral uncoloured sound - I'm hearing that the HD 650's really improve with good amplification but if the 9632 amp is already good then I'll stick with that.

Thanks.

Re: HDSP 9632 headsphone amp?

It has an amp (-12, -6, 0dB in DSP settings). But finer volume adjustment are done digitally (master fader). For "uncolored sound" you can set the master fader to 0dB.

No setting of faders or levels will reduce in any "coloration" of the sound.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

4 (edited by aaronnt1 2015-06-23 21:26:11)

Ok thanks, so if I'm understanding right,

1. The 9632 does indeed have an onboard headphone amp

2. Sound quality will be identical regardless of what level the volume is at i.e. -12, -6 or 0db.

So if the 9632 has more than enough power to drive my HD650's, does that mean there is no need for me to buy a dedicated headphone amp or would I still benefit from a dedicated amp? Does the sound quality rely solely on the DAC or does the amp also play some part?

Thanks for your help.

Some audiophiles will of course claim that a dedicated amp will be better, but they will also claim that esoteric cables will make a huge difference. So please use your ears! If it sounds good it is good. A miss match is possible but then the phones will either be extremely low in volume or will lack low end completely or will sound very distorted. So if it is ok it is.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632