Topic: UCX and the dreaded Blue Screen of Death

I'm having a hardware issue that causes a BSOD when running Cubase 7.5 and the UCX.

If I open Cubase, and then turn on my Midi keyboard (which is hooked up to UCX on MIDI port 1, in and out) it will crash my computer every time, resulting in the BSOD. But if the keyboard is already on before I open Cubase it will run fine. It must have something to do with receiving Midi. Any help in solving this issue will be much appreciated.

Hardware details:
Computer: 2008 Mac Pro, 16GB ram
RME UCX driver: 3.114
UCX Hardware revision: 0.23

BSOD message: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (1394ohci.sys)

Re: UCX and the dreaded Blue Screen of Death

It appears that my computer will crash even without Cubase running. All I have to do is turn on the Midi keyboard and it will cause a BSOD. It's clearly a hardware issue and I will contact support since no one here can help me.

There is no known hardware issue of this nature and the BSOD message points to the Firewire driver, not to the UCX driver. Can this be reproduced with other software, e.g. Reaper?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I've ruled out Cubase or any other software having conflict because I can reproduce the crash without any software running.

Yes, the BSOD message indicates a firewire issue which makes sense because the UCX is connected via FW.

The only chance to fix this is to send us the MIDI information that is received at the MIDI input port when switching on the keyboard. As the UCX causes a BSOD you must use a different MIDI input hardware for capturing.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok, I'll try it. I have an Emu midi box I can use.

How do I record this information into Cubase?

Thanks,

M.

Maybe better use Bome's SendSX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Oh, I'm interested in this too.

A lot of times when I play the keys of my mopho X4 connected to my UCX during booting of my windows system it leads to a bsod or a freeze of the computers system.

Could be related? Following this thread now.

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5
Intel I7 930
nVidia GT9800

Ok, so I don't see how it's possible to record this midi formation to my computer when said midi causes a catastrophic crash on my computer. Whatever it is, it's a simple midi message. So, why is the UCX causing a BSOD on my system? RME has a solid rep for excellent drivers, but I'm not getting that here. What is up?

10 (edited by TonyS 2015-07-07 04:33:58)

No problems with my UCX and MIDI. 
I have multiple keyboards, drum modules and a fader box patched into an ancient mx-8 midi patchbay first, then to the UCX.
UCX is hooked up through FW.
Win7 64bit / I7 / Samplitude Pro X & Pro X2 Suite.

Miku Hanna wrote:

Ok, so I don't see how it's possible to record this midi formation to my computer when said midi causes a catastrophic crash on my computer.

Using your other interface with a second comuter or laptop. So far you did not even tell us the name and model of the keyboard - but expect us to fix it magically without any usable information. That won't happen.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It's a Nord Lead 3. Thanks for asking.

Selling this POS smile

Hm, maybe there's a clue in that I have a Nord rack 3 then. I did Sell my ucx piece too and bought an apollo quad. Now I only need to keep that interface unpowered while windows 7 coughs through its boot sequence. Otherwise I get a bsod every time I boot my system. Once in Windows it seems to run but I haven't had the time to test it thoroughly yet.

But that's a question for another forum.

Just came across this while searching for a solution online. I too experience the BSOD when I switch on any MIDI device (FBC1010 foot controller, Moog Sub37, IK Uno) plugged into the MIDI Ins on my RME UCX. Also using the UCX via the Firewire connection.

Was going to ask for assistance here, but after reading the unbelievably condescending and unhelpful response from MC, I think I will just phone someone at Synthax rather than being berated by the co-founder of a company I highly admired.