1 (edited by david-p 2015-07-21 10:14:48)

Topic: Two Digicheck feature request

I realize that Digicheck is an amazing bit of software, but I want to ask for more!

1. Would it be possible to add a selectable option to the "Goniometer" /"Vector Audio Scope" (both rather obscure titles in English : why not "Phase Scope")?

Often the compressor in this display (which I find essential in my work) shows very low sub audio rumble, and not only during silent passages.  An option of a sharp filter below 30Hz would be very valuable to enable display of the phase of the music, which is currently obscured by the rumble.

2. (This may be more tricky.) An option to read the levels (and spectra) at the point AFTER the Totalmix EQ and LowCut processing -- at least for the inputs -- so that one would be able to see in Digicheck the effect of the TM processing.

Many thanks!

David

Classical ambisonic surround recording: UFX, FF400, Alesis HD24, Edirol R-44/88, Samplitude ProX 3.

Re: Two Digicheck feature request

I do a lot of sub dwelling and would not like a filter there, sometimes it's as low as 15hz in room

www.analoguemastering.com

1. We did not invent those names. Please Google Vectorscope, this is the correct name.

If you have such low frequency rumble in your audio you should reduce it with a steep low-cut as found in TM FX.

2. Requires to set all inputs to record the FX section (option in Settings dialog). No other way.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

1. I have never heard those terms used in professional audio in the Englsih-speaking world.  Perhaps one reason is that a Goniometer sounds like it must be a device for measuring gonads!

1a. Quite so; and this is the whole point of the requests.  It is disconcerting to remove the rumble with TM FX and see it still there on the meters.

David

Classical ambisonic surround recording: UFX, FF400, Alesis HD24, Edirol R-44/88, Samplitude ProX 3.

david-p wrote:

....  Perhaps one reason is that a Goniometer sounds like it must be a device for measuring gonads! ...

Ho, Ho, Ho!!!

But even a smidgeon of intellectual curiousity would result in you finding that goniometer (device for measuring angles or direction) has an "English Speaking" history longer than your lifetime or mine.  Radio engineers adopted the term for a Radio Direction Finder antenna configuration about a century ago.  Applied by said engineers to audio, this form of display delivers very useful information about the direction of  arrival of the dominant sound in a stereo signal, and is particularly useful in detecting out-of-phase mic configurations (in particular, MS arrays).  A very useful goof-proofer in the field, in my experience

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum