Topic: Moving on from Multiface2?

Hi! I haven't posted here for a long time, but thought I'd ask a few questions if that's OK?

I've been thinking about upgrading, however the Multiface still essentially does what I require, but I'd rather keep up with something that's not discontinued.

My questions are:
Would I benefit from selling the Multiface II to make some money back, to then buy something more current in the RME range, and would I be able to utilise the PCIe HDSPe card for this?

If not, would I benefit from using a USB3 interface for improved latency, as I haven't looked into this at all... (sorry!)

I've always wanted mic XLRs on the Multiface, but I haven't been creating as much as I'd like recently. In the next few months I will be buying some microphones for me to record an acoustic piano so I'd like a couple of XLRs if possible and therefore this is why Im questioning what to do, having come to the realisation that this still very awesome piece of kit could be getting a little long in the tooth and I'd be interested in using a nice new piece of RME engineering.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered!

Re: Moving on from Multiface2?

PCIe has the best latency, so as long as you don't want to upgrade the converter quality or need different kinds of I/Os you should keep the MF II. You can easily connect any mic pre, via ADAT up to 8 channels to it as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hmm thanks, Matthias. What about driver support in the foreseeable future?

Any plans for a multiface 3, one that would possibly utilise the PCIe card?

Fwiw, I've moved my HDSPe hosted Multiface units to a Thunderbolt chassis on my Mac Pro.

I reckon HDSPe / Multiface is still a system worth investing in.