Topic: Routing with TotalMix?

Hi there, i have Fireface UFX, and of course i love it smile
I use it with my Traktor setup (thank Richie Hawtin) and ever since i started using it it's been rock solid!

My question is the following: can i route internally via TotalMix the outputs of Traktor into Ableton and the outputs of Ableton to the hardware outputs of the UFX? I know i can configure the Ableton ouputs easily, so my question is mainly regarding the Traktor->Ableton connection.

I'm currently doing this with a third-party software JackOSX (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZpzmrYJzrE), but a little birdie told me that TotalMix can do this.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Routing with TotalMix?

Check for loopback in the manual.

It's as simple as pushing the loopback button in the outputs where Traktor is playing <> defining the according channel as input in Ableton.
When you push loopback, the signal running at the output is present as input signal. If you loopback i.e. ADAT 3/4, inputs ADAT 3/4 will carry that signal.

You are a hero indeed smile

Will check and report back. Thanks

Ermm, i think i got it theoretically. However, when i try to change the Output routing of Traktor from Analog to ADAT, the program crashes!

Am i missing something? sad

Must be a Traktor problem. You don't have to change it to ADAT, you can loopback any output pair.

6 (edited by liubo 2015-08-10 11:51:36)

You're right. So, Traktor output is like this:

Deck A - Analog 3/4 -> Loopback ADAT 3/4
Deck B - Analog 5/6 -> Loopback ADAT 5/6
Deck C - Analog 7/8 -> Loopback ADAT 7/8
Deck D - Analog 1/2 -> Loopback ADAT 1/2

And it works with Ableton, but hardware ouput 1/2 keeps playing every other channel as well.. can't find where to assign to be just for Deck D, as it ever was...

It seems when Loopback is activated it always goes to Analog 1/2... can i disable this?

Yes, i can smile

The lowest field shows the current routing target. A mouse click opens the routing window to select a routing target. The list shows all activated routings of the current channel by arrows in front of the listed entries, the current one is shown in bold letters.
An arrow is only shown with an activated routing. A routing is seen as activated when audio data is sent. As long as the fader is set to ?? the current routing will be shown in bold letters, but not have an arrow in the front.

Page 56 in the manual smile

Glad you sorted it out ;-)

And thank you for pointing out the solution smile

This sounds very very good.

So, this would be also possible for PC software playback (e.g. QUICKTIME player, Windows Media Player) ?
...want to record a video player within a browser window that comes out as Software Playback stereo channel into Studio One.

I will give it a try !

yes, it works.
just dont monitor in the DAW as well and in TotalMix (or vice versa) to avoid comb filter effects and feedback.

Awsome feedback. What a good investment this RME gear !!!