Topic: UCX multichannel output on Ipad in CC mode not working reliably

Hi everybody!
I'm having problems to reliably play tracks from Cubasis on my Ipad mini retina (IOS 8.4.1) to different outputs of my Fireface UCX, which has the latest drivers, TotalMix FX app and firmware installed.
I have created various Projects with Cubasis 1.9.5 that have audio- and midichannels routed to different Outputs, which is eventually working like it should, but it always takes Cubasis or the TotalMix FX App (I don't know which one is causing this) quite same time after launching to remember, that it has multiple Outputs active. At first everything goes out on channel 1/2, then after a series of opening of Projects and waiting, suddenly the Routing is correct. Closing and restarting of Cubasis and full restart of the ipad doesn't help immediately. It always takes more or less time. At first in the Options of Total MixFX it says in "Interface Settings": Channels Running (IN/OUT): 18/2. But it should be 18/18 like it is, when it finally works.
In the description it say: The full class compliant channel count is activated by the app that requires multichannel. So I wrote to Steinberg because of this, but weren't of much help and gave me the usual: power off and on Ipad, use the TotalMix FX, blah blah
Please help,
Matt

Re: UCX multichannel output on Ipad in CC mode not working reliably

They gave you a clear and easy answer after contacting us:

http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop … mp;t=84486

I don't see any bla bla here. Setting the output to all channels within TotalMix FX will fix Core Audio to multichannel mode. Did you try that?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias!
Thanks for the quick answer. Csn you explain this a bit more in detail, what I might not have done properly? I routed 2 Stereo-playbackchannels to two different Output channels in TotalMix.
Matt

the strange thing is, that although in Cubasis the tracks are routed to different Stereo Outputchannels, in TotalMix they arrive alltogether on Stereo- Playbackchannel 1. Of course, that's not what I can work with. And after some time suddenly it comes on the different channels as it should.

Funkateer01 wrote:

Csn you explain this a bit more in detail, what I might not have done properly?

In TotalMix FX App: Options -> RME Interface Settings -> I/O Options: Output Channel Count req. -> Multichannel

Solved!
Thanks, Loonypac, for the advice! Yesterday, while searching for a solution, I was experimenting with this setting, but I forgot one important thing after changing from the default setting to "Multichannel". A full restart of the Ipad. Now multichannel output works immediately.
One important thing to consider: It works as long as the Ipad is connect to the Fireface and the fireface is switched on. After disconnecting the usb cable, connecting again and starting TotalMix FX, it's back to 2-channel-mode and not changeable by switching settings in TotalMix FX. I have to make a full restart of the Ipad. Is this limitation caused by the IOS and unchangeable? In this case maybe it should be mentioned somewhere in de documentation of the TotalMix or the Fireface.
Or is it a bug and the CC-connection between an Ipad and a RME interface can become capable of "hotplugging" by an update? That would be great.
thanx for your help!
Matt

The setting works immediately, and it is easy to prove that with specific apps which need it. Cubasis needs to be exit first and then restarted to recognize the change. Also: did you read the help included in the app?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Funkateer01, it's a pleasure to be able to help smile At the same time your problem solved my problem. MC's hint was essential.

I don't think you have to reboot your iPad every time you want to use Cubasis (I cannot test because I don't use Cubasis). Only the sequence of launching the apps seems to be important. First connect your Fireface to your iPad, start TotalMix FX App (enable Multichannel mode), only completely last start Cubasis. Everytime the Fireface intinitalizes, it seems to be in Stereo mode. Unfortunately this is also the case when unlocking the iPad - the Fireface disconnects from iPad shortly after locking it (red host LED lights up) and reinitializes after unlocking. In my case the sequence of launching my apps works without any problems.

Hi Matthias, hi Loonybac!

I did some further testing and read the help in the app very carefully. i think i understand it better now and had success with disconnecting  and connecting the USB cable from the CCK(which stayed on Ipad) several times without TotalMix losing the output count of 18 in the settings. Then i started Cubasis and the multi output worked. But when I quit Cubasis the count in TotalMix goes to In:18/out:2. Starting Cubasis again and/or switching settings in TotalMix can't change the output count anymore. I have to make full restart of Ipad to have multi output again. But Cubasis should be able to request the output count of 18, doesn't it?
Strange. If that's the way it is, I can live with it. I don't use multi tracking with Cubasis in my Band every day. So it's no hassle restarting it from time to time. But it doesn't fully go along with what you stated, Matthias.

@Loonypac: my Fireface doesn't disconnect (no red led) when the Ipad is locked. ??

Interesting detail. I will test that. If Cubasis changes the mode back to stereo on exit then I should be able to reproduce and then communicate the issue.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias!
After hours of testing I found out what  made Cubasis change the mode back to Stereo.
The Cubasis-projects for my band are using the app IMPC Pro for some samples which I trigger live from a masterkeyboard. Thats why I have a track in Cubasis that routes IMPC pro in via Interapp Audio. I created These Projects before Cubasis got the "Minisampler".
For the testing I didnt start the app IMPC Pro, only Cubasis, and that was causing the problem of switching to Stereo mode.
When I finally deleted the interapp audio track, it worked without having to fully restart the ipad after disconnecting Fireface.
The Projects now work with interapp Audio, but I have to start the IMPC Pro before Cubasis, otherwise no multichannel Output.
My mistake ;-) 
Thanks

Now that explains why no one else has complained about 'only stereo' mode before smile

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME