1 (edited by Jp008 2015-09-15 02:19:44)

Topic: RME BOB1 breakout box compatibility

Would anyone happen to know if the 5-pin female MIDI input on the BOB1 works with a 5-pin microphone male din plug? The pin configuration on my mic is exactly the same as MIDI, so it would definitely plug into it and the mic doesn't need phantom power. I just don't know if it would work.

Also, I noticed the BOB1 is being advertised as being for the "HDSP 9632", but would it still work with something like a RME DIGI 9636 card with the 9-pin serial input on it?

Any more info on this box would be helpful. Thanks..

Re: RME BOB1 breakout box compatibility

What is the sense behind plugging a mic into a MIDI port?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

What is the sense behind plugging a mic into a MIDI port?

The purpose would be to convert a 5-pin din configuration on older microphones into a more usable form of cabling (e.g.; RCA, SPDIF, etc.), since an older 5-pin din is not standard. So basically, I'm thinking plugging an old 5-pin microphone into the MIDI on the BOB1 and then send it back out with a more compatible cable type.

So.. will it work or not? I'm guessing not..

Connent an older microphone to SPDIF? Standard?

This is the usual solution with the most common microfon-standard XLR:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Mikrofon-Adapter … 1203633814

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Fireface800 | Babyface | Octamic II | ADI-2 | ADI-648 | AudientASP008

5 (edited by Jp008 2015-09-15 07:29:56)

Thanks for the link, but when I try to pay for that in eBay, it says "This seller didn't include shipping costs to your location." So, it looks like I need a link to a US seller. Only problem is, there isn't any ! sad

a little search in the web:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much … -help.html

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=xl … p;_sacat=0

or get the parts and (let) solder it.

hope this helps.

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Fireface800 | Babyface | Octamic II | ADI-2 | ADI-648 | AudientASP008

Yeah, looks like I'll probably just have to make one. Thanks for the links, shouldn't be too difficult. You wouldn't happen to know if older 5-pin microphones work in MIDI jacks, would you? I'm guessing not because of the wrong type of pin-out or information being sent?

Definitely not.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

9 (edited by Jp008 2015-09-15 19:47:26)

How about with a DIGI 9636 card and it's 9-pin serial cable input ? Will the BOB1 work with that card instead of the HDSP 9632 ? I can't seem to find any other compatibility info on this breakout box.

Jp008 wrote:

Yeah, looks like I'll probably just have to make one. Thanks for the links, shouldn't be too difficult. You wouldn't happen to know if older 5-pin microphones work in MIDI jacks, would you? I'm guessing not because of the wrong type of pin-out or information being sent?

Old microphones like the sennheiser md421 have a connector called "klein tuchel", it's a DIN ("DIN Deutsches Institut für Normung" a standardization organisation) (threaded) connector. Midi connectors have the same standard with 5 pins, not threaded.

A microphone in a midi input make no sense, but the parts fits together (with the same pins).