Topic: Total Mix 1.12 in a 5.1 SURROUND Studio

Hi folks,

Have not been around for years and just realized the updated drivers and Total Mix for my FF800 - brilliant!

I've updated - but I'm struggling on how to reconfigure the tool to accommodate my studio where I always operate in 5.1 - and use the Cubase 6 Studio system to reconfigure or downmix to stereo when I need.

I used to have my L-R,C-LFE, LS-RS pairs assigned to 1-6... and I don't want to rewire my studio.  Now it seems that 1-2 is hard wired to a "MAIN" buss...

Is there a way to disable this?

Does someone have a 5.1 studio configuration that they can share... or some tips on setting it up to accommodate?

Much appreciated!

Rob Poretti
Poretti Productions
(I am *not* an ADAT user.)

Re: Total Mix 1.12 in a 5.1 SURROUND Studio

The little "Assign" button will let you set another outut as Main...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by rporetti 2015-10-26 02:21:07)

Had a crash ...when I restarted Cubase gave me a VST Bridge Error - and I could not launch the FF Mixer...

Restarted again and just tried to launch the mixer on its own(i.e..: no Cubase) also failed.  Tried to un-install and reinstall - no luck.  Now I have a completely non-functional system.  Device manager no longer shows the FF under the Sound control panel - but that could be because there are no MME drivers?  Anyway - I'm dead...  Maybe I should have stuck with the old ugly - looking version instead.

Any ideas how to recover?

Rob Poretti
Poretti Productions

OK... problem was that I did not update the firmware - un-install, install old drivers, flash ROM, install new version again... and everything seems fine...  I think... now where were we...

Oh yea...  not having the main buss hard assigned...  my main out is 6 channels... that's the problem.  I don't want some other  2 channel output.  So if I can't have a 6 channel wide "main output... I'd just prefer to have 6 outputs,,, with 6 faders labeled, L, R, C, LFE, LS, RS... which is what I used to have. 

When I assign the main to some other output that I'm not using - like ADAT 1/2 - it does not free-up and make available AN 1/2 in the main mixer.... but it does steal ADAT 1/2... (it is removed from the main mixer)

is that a bug?

Rob Poretti
Poretti Productions

An outdated firmware would cause audio stuttering, not a disabling of TM FX or the Settings dialog.

With the current driver 3.115, which includes TM FX 1.12, you can not only get AN 1/2 back into the left Hardware Output channels, but also simply assign Main Out to 'None'.

Furthermore you can set up a fadergroup with AN 1/2 staying 'Main Out' and still control all 6 outputs simultaneously.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Mathias,

I was able to assign Main to None and got my AN 1/2 back... so all is good now! :-)

The only problem I'm having now is that I can't seem to configure Phantom Power... none of my setting panels - that *should* have the option - have it.  Is it only active in some special mode? Seems to have disappeared!

Rob Poretti
Poretti Productions

Never mind - my problem there!  Helps to look in the right place!  Weird - the manual was steering me to TotalMix - but its in the Control Panel!  All is well..

Thanks again Matthias for your fast support...

... and I should say:  The new mixer looks great. and seems to be solid. 

Cheers!

Rob

Rob Poretti
Poretti Productions