Topic: Problems installing Cardbus & Multiface I in Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Hi all. I've been using this system since it came out and installed it over various Windows O/S's but not 64 bit. This is my first time using Windows 7, so there's a chance I'm missing something simple from lack of knowledge.
I've downloaded driver_hdsp_win_412 and hdsp_fut files. The drivers install fine as far as I can tell.

In Windows Devices the Cardbus comes up as an Unspecified Device / Unknown Manufacturer.
I've used System Restore and tried installing the drivers with the Cardbus inserted, and also not inserted. No difference.
I've tried installing just the driver_hdsp_win_412 as a fresh install i.e. not an update from an older version.
I've also tried updating the firmware as suggested, but no screen appears with status etc [success or failure]

I'm using a Dell e6510 i7 with 8 gigs of ram and I've disabled the onboard sound device. I had to do this on my old Windows XP machine or I got a bluescreen on installing the old RME WDM drivers.

Do I have to install older WDM drivers and then use driver_hdsp_win_412 as an update or what? Been going round in circles for hours now hmm

Any help or links to a walkthrough of this installation would be great.
Thanks.

Re: Problems installing Cardbus & Multiface I in Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

The 4.x series driver does not mention the CardBus to be supported. You must be the only person to not only still use one, but also on a newer 64 bit OS...

But we will check if it is possible to add it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The 4.x series driver does not mention the CardBus to be supported. You must be the only person to not only still use one, but also on a newer 64 bit OS...

Hello Mathias,

that would be highly appreciated!!!

Because I intend to use my good old PCMCIA CardBus with the Startech adapter together with a dell M6600 under Win7/Win10 64bit using Multiface, Digiface, RPM getting rid of WinXP and Toshiba NB.

Thanks

MC wrote:

Thanks. Driving me bonkers. I have never had a problem with the Multiface I and I'm in the middle of mastering tracks for a vinyl LP release. I bought my system (Multiface, Cardbus and PCI interface) way back when the main UK outlet was down in Tuckers Maltings in Newton Abbot, Devon, probably 2000/2001. Always used my Cardbus for field recording with a Soundfield Mircophone and the PCI card in my home PC for designing sounds from the source recordings. It would be a great shame to have to upgrade all my hardware right now: just couldn't afford it.

It seems I was wrong and the CardBus is indeed supported in any driver version ever released. That means in your case it could be that the driver for the CardBus itself is not compatible to W7-64.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by nonserviam 2015-11-02 19:18:53)

Hi MC. Could you explain please?

MC wrote:

It seems I was wrong and the CardBus is indeed supported in any driver version ever released. That means in your case it could be that the driver for the CardBus itself is not compatible to W7-64.

I'm not sure what you mean. That the Cardbus driver included in the RME 4x series driver is incompatible with my Laptop's cardbus driver, which is microsoft driver 2006. Or what?

Are you saying that? Or that the Cardbus slot in the laptop is incompatible with W7-64. Because I can check that by getting any PCMCIA device and putting it in the slot yes? If it is recognised then the laptop cardbus slot is working fine in W7-64. And the problem must be something else.

Thanks.

To check that you need a real CardBus card (like the RME)  that uses PCI. PCMCIA often uses ISA, not PCI. If you have a fast Ethernet card, or even better a FireWire card, they will use PCI and could help to find the problem source.

Note that not mentioning CardBus in the driver readme has a reason: we do not test CardBus with newer OS than XP. Official support for CardBus has stopped long before driver version 4. Nevertheless we will try to help if possible. But if for example the problem requires a new CardBus firmware you would definitely be out of luck.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by nonserviam 2015-11-04 09:18:36)

MC wrote:

To check that you need a real CardBus card (like the RME)  that uses PCI. PCMCIA often uses ISA, not PCI. If you have a fast Ethernet card, or even better a FireWire card, they will use PCI and could help to find the problem source.

Hi MC. My Device Manager has the Cardbus interface as PCI Bus 4 so I'm presuming it is PCI rather than ISA. I'll contact Dell support and make sure as I'm not sure at which point this data is relevant. Would a device show up as PCI even if it uses ISA? Bit out of my knowledge range I'm afraid.

My intention is to get home today and place the RME Cardbus adapter back in my old Win XP machine and update the flash from there. Maybe I have not updated the flash recently enough to include any 64 bit operation. My last flash update was several years ago.

Thanks again for your time.

NS

OK.

Apparently the Dell 6410 & 6510 don't recognise ISA with low addresses , but have no problem with PCI Cardus interfaces per se.

I went back to the 32bit XP install on my other machine and updated the firmware on the CardBus to Revision 17

Put Cardbus in the Dell E6510, running Windows 7 64 Bit. Initially comes up as an unknown device PCMCIA in "other devices" in Device Manager. Right click and update driver to 3.0.8.5. which installs and asks to reboot.

Laptop then bluescreens on restart if the PCMCIA card is installed. STOP message with hdsp_64.sys as the cause. Uninstalling the drivers and rebooting causes the CardBus to then come up under "sound, video and game controllers" with "!" warning that the drivers can't be loaded.

This is from https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=7348

"Update:

Since our new driver installers for HDSP and Fireface units released August 2013 all the information below is no longer valid. It remains valid for legacy products (Hammerfall, Digi), as far as these are supported (32 bit W7/8 only)."

So that appears to suggest that the 15 pin Cardbus adapter running the latest firmware (rev.17) can't work under Windows 7 64 Bit. That's all I really need confirmation of. Anyone? Cheers.

10 (edited by Triode 2017-04-26 18:59:13)

Hi,

Thanks for the information thus far. I have a RME UCX for recording but on my hifi / movie setup I'm trying to get the same CardBus / MultiFace setup working on Win7 64bit.

My PCMCIA adapter is PCI (both physically and in Device Manager) and Flash Update Tool 2.23 (XP/Vista/7) updated the firmware without issue and TotalMix and Windows are finding the MultiFace but it is always listed as 'Disconnected'

I'd love to get this working as the digital output from RME gear is shockingly good rivalling serious top end CD transports and I need 64bit to playback large video files (I'm an animator and video editor)

Update: I shifted the whole thing to an XP box and the same thing? I can't think that the cable is damaged else the firmware would probably not have updated.