Topic: TotalMix FX GUI flickering on DAW launch

Hello everyone,
I'm on a Macbook Pro mid 2012 /16 GB RAM/ Mavericks 10.9.5.
I recently noticed that on launching one of my DAWs  ( either Logic 9.1.8/Ableton Live 8 and 9) the TotalMix GUI will become scrambled and flickering for a split second.
While this does not seem to affect the functionality of TotalMix I still wonder if this issue could is software or hardware related.
Other than that my Macbook has never had any other grapical glitches whatsoever.

Did anybody observe the same, any idea what the technical reason could be?

Thanks for any input!

Jürgen

Re: TotalMix FX GUI flickering on DAW launch

Which TM FX version is that?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by attman 2015-11-01 10:34:03)

Re: TotalMix FX GUI flickering on DAW launch

Hi Matthias,
it's all the latest revisions of software and firmware.
2.10(2) driver.
Total Mix 1.12
UCX is the hardware.
In regards to experimenting with different driver revisions and TM versions to check their respective behaviour: could I simply install older drivers over the current latest version? Or should I do clean uninstalls before?

The graphic glitch does not consistently occur on every single DAW launch.
It will happen frequently though when Logic gets launched from the dock while the TM GUI is selected in the foreground.

Update:
I did a clean uninstall and installed USB Driver v193 from Feb 2014.
No graphic glitches so far!!
So I wonder what((and when) changes were introduced to the graphics which could cause the glitch in later versions.
I mean I could go all the way from v 193 upward version by version but I would prefer to get your idea where to step in for a new try...

Update #2
I went all the hard way and installed every version I still had kept.
1.93 to 1.95 was "clean", the next available was 2.02

Version 2.02 was the worst in terms of graphic mess. The GUI froze got completely scrambled permanently on each DAW launch.
Nice modern art...Can I load up up a screenshot?(don't know how)

From 2.03 on the SHORT glitch was basically consistent(only happening at launch of Logic or Live as described above.)

I conclude that some change was introduced in between 1.93 and 2.02 and their respective TM FX versions which causes the graphic glitch.
At least for my Maverick system on my Macbook Pro(non Retina) mid 2012.

Update#3

I just did a comparison test with my old "back up" Mac system with Snow Leo OS on a Macbook Pro early 2010:
with the identical RME revisions installed there is no problem in the graphics!

I guess it is the specific combination of versions of TM FX/Mac OS/Mac Hardware that causes the problem for my system.