Topic: Multiface PCI card not initialising unless reseated

Hello!

I've been using my Multiface Mk 1 with PCI card for many years with no problems, including several years in the current PC running XP and then Win 7 Pro 64 bit. Recently due to a system crash I had do a fresh installation of Windows 7 64 bit and took the opportunity to add an SSD card for the new OS, keeping 2 HDs for data etc.

On first testing of the system the soundcard worked as usual, but the next time I booted up it failed to initialise (the red Host light stayed on and the Hammerfall was not listed in the devices list). It was like this for further reboots until I opened up the PC and reseated the PCI card in the slot.  Next boot all worked as normal, but again after shutting down it would not be recognised on the system. I moved the card to a different slot and again it worked the first time (and on subsequent "warm" restarts) but once more, once the PC was booted up from cold, the device would not be recognised. In short, every time the PC is completely powered down and switched off, the soundcard will not be recognised on rebooting.

When I have got it to work I have managed to update the drivers and have flashed the card to the most recent version (17). The PCI card itself is rev 1.4. In the support pages I found this, from years ago:

http://www.rme-audio.de/en/support/faq/hdsp_pci.php

This details a similiar issue for cards of this vintage, so I wondered whether the modification detailed there would sort out the problem. I am puzzled by two things though; firstly why has this started now when the computer is almost the same as previously - could the SSD have anything to do with the problem? Secondly, why does it work again once the card has been reseated in the same or different PCI slots? I'd welcome any thoughts.

TIA for any help.

Re: Multiface PCI card not initialising unless reseated

It's just on the edge of correct operation. Cleaning the gold contacts of the PCI card might help a bit too. The modification is highly recommended. But the way you describe it the power supply from the PCI card might just be dying as well. Use an external power supply for the MF to verify.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The modification is highly recommended.

Is the modification applicable to PCI-e cards? (I have similar symptoms.)

No.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME