Topic: Can Multiface I & PCMCIA Cardbus run under Windows 7 64 Bit?

Hi all.
Tried getting an answer to this on one of the other sections of the forum but no firm replies from anyone at RME.

I'm running a Dell Latitude e6510 with 8 gigs of ram running Win7 64 bit which has a cardbus slot.

Is anyone successfully running a Cardbus adapter under Win7 64 bit?

I have latest flash (Version 17) for the Cardbus but still can't install it, even though it comes up as RME device in the Sound, Video & Game Controllers in Device Manager when I run the driver install.

Reboot with the Cardbus installed always gives me a bluescreen with the error being hdsp.64 driver.

Reading through the RME site, I don't think there is 64 bit support for the Cardbus, but just one final check before I sell my old gear and put the cash towards a new device.

Thanks.

Re: Can Multiface I & PCMCIA Cardbus run under Windows 7 64 Bit?

We have W7 running successfully with 64 bit and CardBus. Just Windows 8 and 10 no longer work, which is not caused by our driver but the pcmcia driver that Microsoft ships with these OS.

You might need to look around for the latest driver of the CardBus hardware within your notebook. Sometimes such is only available from a different manufacturer who released that for his own series of notebooks.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias. Say if I can't get an update from Dell for the microsoft 2006 PCMCIA driver which is listed in my Device Manager, would it make any difference if I used an ExpressCard to Cardbus adapter such as one user has successfully tried? Not asking about that specific adapter, just if it's a way of getting round the PCMCIA slot in the laptop if it won't recognise RME Cardbus ? Might be a completely stupid question. :?/

The Microsoft pcmcia.sys is not the one your are looking for. It is the specific driver for O2Micro, TI, Ricoh or whoever made the CardBus controller in your notebook. I don't understand how you can use an ExpressCard in a CardBus slot. IMHO you got it the wrong way round.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Expr … roduct_top

IMHO it's what I described.

You did not mention that your notebook has both CardBus and ExpressCard slot, which is very unusual. The StarTech adapter might work if they supply working drivers - don't know.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

OK! after some incomplete/contraditory post from RME, and after reading stevedecay's post https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=14575 I thought I'd make the leap and buy the same StarTech adapter. It arrived today. I plugged it in to the ExpressCard slot and Windows installed the [PCI Bridge] drivers, asked for reboot. I inserted the Cardbus in the StarTech, rebooted . .  and . . TotalMix came straight up. Audio seems to be playing fine with the RME playing media files off the drive. I'll install my DAW and effects, and some complex multi-track mixes over the next week or two and post if anything doesn't work as it might otherwise.
Just saved myself the cost of replacing the RME for the cost of a Startech card [£40]. Yay!