1 (edited by ramses 2015-12-22 15:42:10)

Topic: TM 1.12 & UFX, can't assign ADAT Channels 5+ for Monitor B

Hi Matthias / RME,

happy X-mas days to you. I have a question, I hope you can support me on that...

I use the UFX as Preamp connected to RayDAT via ADAT 1+2 IN and OUT.

I have 2 monitors
- one connected to UFX via AES out (Monitor A)
- the other via RayDAT ADAT4 OUT (optical S/PDIF) via D/A conver to Hifi amplifier/monitors.

In TM 1.12 UFX instance I want to assign "ADAT Out Ch. 13+14" to "Monitor B".
The goal is to easily switch between those 2 monitors using
a) TM Button "Speaker B"
b) ARC Button Prog (which is mapped to the function "Speaker B select" / "Toggle"

But I have difficulties in TM1.12 to achieve this.  The show stopper is:
In the pull-down menue "Assign -> Main Out B" I can see only these channels, not more:
ANALOG 1+2 - 7+8, AES,  Phones 9/10, 11/12, ADAT 1/2, 3/4 (not more ADATs !!)

ADAT Channels higher then 3/4 are surprisingly not offered as choice !!

Is this a limitation of the Hardware or could that be fixed by software ?

I would be very glad if you could fix this, otherwise I would required to reshuffle my whole mapping of channels
now I really got used to this distribution, as it is.

See here for a screenshot:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/961 … gnment.jpg

See here a documentation of my current mapping of anal./digital channels between UFX and RayDAT using ADAT 1+2:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/961 … apping.pdf

Currently I use as workaround to store the settings in 2 different snapshots of TM UFX instance:
In one I mute AES, in the other ADAT13/14.

My final goal / preferred solution is (without changing the mapping of channels)
- to make use of the Speaker B Button in TM to switch between A/B (Monitors / HiFi Device)
- to assign Speaker B Button to the ARC (Prog Button) so that I can do this using the ARC

Many thanks !

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: TM 1.12 & UFX, can't assign ADAT Channels 5+ for Monitor B

The full list of channels will be available after a firmware update sometime in 2016.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

cool thanks ! :-)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by Randyman... 2015-12-22 21:44:51)

WHOA - Just missed MC's reply - THIS IS FRAN-FREAKING-TASTIC!!!  Will this hold true for all interfaces (like my MF-XT)?

ll leave my original comments below as a reference:

My Original Reply before I saw MC's post above:
I believe this is RME's intentional limitation of assigning Speaker/Phones outputs.  They play it safe, and only allow outputs that are available at 96K and 192KHz to be assigned to these Control Room outputs.

Even though I'd bet less than half of all 192KHz capable interfaces have ever been run at that sample rate, RME feels the need to restrict control room output routing to channels that will be available at the highest sample rates to avoid issues with users that might use these high sample rates.

I've requested this artificial limitation be dropped for users that work solely at 44/48 (or at 96K for 192K capable interfaces), but RME prefers to play it safe across the board (so even though I would NEVER run at 192K in my setup, I'm still artificially crippled by the fact that my interface *can* be set to 192K and the resulting channel count decrease that occurs at that sample rate).

Maybe if you assign a Control Room output channel that is not available at 192K, RME could know to disallow clocking above 96K?  Or if you select an output that is not available at 96K, RME could restrict clocking to 48K to prevent CR routing issues?  Or some kind of logic like that to "protect" people that do not expect to run at these silly high sample rates without artificially crippling them?

I'd also like to see up to 8 assignable Headphones outputs in the Control Room (for my 192 output MF-XT, this just makes logical sense, and un-assigned Headphones outputs would simply get hidden for those that don't need them - just as Phones 1-4 do now!), but that is not likely to happen either...

Two small gripes, but ones that can cause undue shuffling and workarounds when it is possible to offer "fixes" for these artificial limitations in TMFX.  But damn - it is hard to truly fault anything RME does smile  When it comes to PC Audio Interfaces, RME gets my hard-earned money every time!

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Flexibility is key .. in my setup its really missing and I am glad RME responds in a positive way to implement it.

Yes, this change is planned for all DSP interfaces.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME