Topic: No signal in DAW during vinyl record recording with Babyface Pro

Hello!
I am a non-musician and up to now I was successfully digitizing my vinyl records with the same set-up as listed below (with a Apogee Duet (FireWire to Thunderbolt)). Because that device is no longer supported for use with El Capitan I am now using a brand-new Babyface Pro. Suddenly nothing is working anymore...

Hardware:
- Mac Book Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), Processor 2,6 GHz Intel Core I7, 16GB RAM
- Babyface Pro
- Creek Evolution integrated amplifier incl. Phono PreAmp (analog RCA out only)
- Technics SL-1210M5G with Benz ACE
- Beyerdynamic T70p Headphone
- 2 passive monitor speakers BLP

Software:
- OS 10.11.2 El Capitan
- Babyface Pro actual drivers installed incl. reset
- incl. Fireface USB settings 2.10
- incl. Total Mix FX 1.12
- Amadeus 2.2.1 (DAW) or GarageBand '11 6.0.5

Set-up:
- Technics -> Creek Phono PreAmp -> Record Out via RCA/TRS audio jack IN3/4 Babyface Pro
- Babyface Pro 1/2 Out via XLR/RCA in Creek Amplifier
- Beyerdynamic at Babyface Pro
- 2 Monitor Speakers at Amp

Record plays and is monitored via Amp/Speakers
Babyface Pro Input Signal CH3/4: perfect (Full signal at display)
Babyface Pro Output Signal via Beyerdynamic headphone: perfect (adjustable at Babyface Pro)
Apple System Control Panel > Sound > input: shows Babyface Pro and also full signal (same as on Babyface Pro), slider for 'total volume' is on the very right side
Fireface USB settings at 96000 Hz
Amadeus Pro settings at Sound>Input>Babyface Pro at USB and 96000Hz/32Bit, Record button pressed -> slider of the record window are on the very right side and lock symbol is open
-> no signal (stays at -50dB) !!! (The same happens in GarageBand...)

At TotalMix FX I am using the default settings / unchanged and see the following:
- Hardware inputs: Instr. 3/4: full signal (same as on the Babyface Pro)
- Software Playback: everything is dark ... not clickable ... slider position: bottom/pulling it up doesn't change anything
- Hardware outputs: half signal with slider at 0dB  ('half' compared to 'full' Hardware Inputs); slider position has no influence
- Control room/Main: everything dark, no signal
-> if I click on CUE at Hardware outputs I get an equally 'half' signal at Control room/Main, but still nothing arrives at the DAW Amadeus

Beginner's question: which settings have to be used so that the signal arrives at the DAW?

Thanks in advance,
Rightfield

Re: No signal in DAW during vinyl record recording with Babyface Pro

Amadeus Pro settings at Sound>Input>Babyface Pro at USB and 96000Hz/32Bit, Record button pressed -> slider of the record window are on the very right side and lock symbol is open
-> no signal (stays at -50dB) !!! (The same happens in GarageBand...)

Sounds like the app is looking at input 1/2 instead of input 3/4.

From the Amadeus Pro manual:
It might be that you are not recording sound from the correct hardware channels. Change the channel association in the Advanced Settings dialog accessible from the Input pane of the Sound preferences panel or equivalently from the Input pane of the Record to new file window.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Re: No signal in DAW during vinyl record recording with Babyface Pro

Hi Jeff,
thanks so much for your advice! That was the cause... after channel adjustment in the hidden record settings of Amadeus
it is working excellent!
This saved me some more hours to look for the error.
Merry Xmas,
Rightfield