Topic: recording?

if i want to record, say a dj mix, should it go into one of the hardware inputs on totalmix as a 'submix'? as i'm not using multiple instruments/ channels in this case, do i need to do this at all?

if a 'submix', how do i then send it to the software channels for recording?

what is a good recording software to use with totalmix fx? (i'm on mac os x)

if my recording software is open, will one of the software channels automatically pick it up? or how do i 'connect' the two?

sorry for basic qs very new to this and can't find much on recording in the manual...

Re: recording?

For Mac OSX I would say Garageband for the beginning.

Route your DJ mix (whatever that is) to output 1/2 and with Loopback you can record it in Garageband on channel 1/2, but don´t use software monitoring (disable it)

Which Interface to you have?

3 (edited by ramses 2015-12-24 10:06:23)

Re: recording?

rankine wrote:

if i want to record, say a dj mix, should it go into one of the hardware inputs on totalmix as a 'submix'? as i'm not using multiple instruments/ channels in this case, do i need to do this at all?

if a 'submix', how do i then send it to the software channels for recording?

what is a good recording software to use with totalmix fx? (i'm on mac os x)

if my recording software is open, will one of the software channels automatically pick it up? or how do i 'connect' the two?

sorry for basic qs very new to this and can't find much on recording in the manual...

1st of all I would recommend to watch these 2 videos to get a better understanding of Totalmix FX:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCH3qVaLL-I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O5i3s29Id4

The choice for recording software (DAW) is independent from Totalmix.
Its more a choice based on workflow, budget, required features.

The usual way to work is to connect as much instruments as possible to your recording interface.
An instrument with stereo outputs requires 2 analog channels of your recording interface.
An instrument with mono outputs requires 1 analog channel of your recording interface.
It could be that the analog input allows to switch between "consumer" and "professional" to get the right input level, i.e. to avoid distortion or avoid having to turn the input poti to max.

The goal is to have each instrument recorded on a track of its own, so that you have later in the mixing phase every required possibility for each track/instrument/vocal: work on the audio material (de-essing), add VSTs to each individual track, place them in the stereo panorama and also to give the mix depth. Some instrument you want to hear more in the foreground, some in the background. For this you can use different tricks: a) volume, b) using different Reverbs which have different pre-delay settings.

If you do not have enough inputs, then you could think about expanding number of inputs, by adding another preamp or AD converter via i.e. ADAT if your interface allows.

Or you need to optimize your workflow in terms of plugging/unplugging devices on demand and record stuff in several stages, not in parallel.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13