1 (edited by sami sanpakkila 2016-01-06 12:24:20)

Topic: Hammerfall DPS 9652 audio dropouts with 5.1 surround sound

Hi,

I'm trying to get my studio computer to handle 5.1. surround sound but
I'm experiencing audio dropouts and stuttering on playback. It is
constant even at max latency settings and with only a few audio
tracks.

There's no problems with stereo playback even with as many as 100
audio tracks. We are recording audio for a film and running an mp4
video file to sync foley, mix dialogue etc.

I'm wondering if this can be fixed with some settings or is it just
too much for the computer to handle? Here are my specifications.

Dell T5500
12 GB RAM
SSD 120GB for OS, WD AV-GP WD20EURX 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB for media
Intel Xeon E5645
Nvidia Quadro 4000
Windows 7 Professional - 64bit
Vegas Pro 12
Hammerfall DSP 9652 with analogue I/O boards for 16 channels input and 8 for output.

I've attached screenshots of all the settings. I've tried changing the
buffer to maximum and WDM devices to Multichannel (though I do not
understand if this should be done). Also I'm unaware if  Totalmix
settings should be changed?

Any thoughts on how to improve the performance or is my computer just too slow?

Thanks!

Sami

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6xv4v58be65wkrx/HDSP3.png?raw=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ljx658tlbir93bi/HDSP1.png?raw=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ogsfmnkyf6e85tb/HDSP2.png?raw=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gszvaepdruy8rwz/vegas2.png?raw=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/olrhhjwy418udxw/totalmix.png?raw=1

Re: Hammerfall DPS 9652 audio dropouts with 5.1 surround sound

Try changing the "SPDIF OUT" setting to "Non-Audio".  Might do the trick...

Also - Your TM screen shot looks good - but double check that you don't accidentally have any Analog Inputs (or anythnig other than the Software SPDIF return) feeding TM's SPDIF output channel.  These will corrupt the DD/DTS Bitstream...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

3 (edited by sami sanpakkila 2016-01-06 19:56:39)

Thanks for the help! I tried your suggestion and turned the SPDIF to non audio, that didn't change things. I believe I don't have any totalmix analogue inputs feeding the SPDIF.

Also updated the drivers to 4.12, latest version.

But I do have to take my words back a bit since I tested with a new project in Vegas and I was able to run about 4-5 audio tracks without problems when in surround sound mixing mode. Very little compared to the 100+ I can run in stereo mode (never yet hit the limit).

Still puzzling me a bit, I did not think 5.1 would require that much power.

Ah - Apologies - My "Non-Audio" suggestion is not likely to be valid if working with discrete wave audio channels (thought you were working with encoded DD/DTS bitstreams).

This does seem odd.  For your 100-track stereo projects that play fine - do they also include Video playback?  Are there any other variances between your 100-Track stereo projects and this problematic 5.1 project?  Are you possibly experiencing DPC latency spikes with the video playback?

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

Yes, we are running a project with 119 audio tracks with effects and the video track as a sync guide.

I've tried deleting the video from the project and then turn it into a 5.1 but the end result is the same.

Only if strip the project down to 5 audio tracks it seems to work ok. Even with video track on in this case, that doesn't seem to effect it.

Ah! The latency checker! It's been about 10 years since I've played with that, will download and test. big_smile

6 (edited by Randyman... 2016-01-06 20:54:01)

Last observation - I see you are running a HDSP9652 PCI card.  Is your motherboard using a "bridged" PCIe-to-PCI slot for that card?

Do you generally use more than the stereo output in your stereo projects?  Or do you commonly use 6 or more software outputs in your stereo projects?

Reason I'm asking is some PCIe-to-PCI bridge chips will work OK at lower channel counts, but have issues as more bandwidth (audio channels) are pushed through.  If you only use the extra output channels with 5.1 projects, then this might be something to look into?

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

7 (edited by sami sanpakkila 2016-01-06 21:36:45)

Here's the system board schematics, the Hammerfall is in slot 9. So I assume it's not bridged?

This is however the first time I'm using the system for 5.1. Never tried that before, I have used the other audio outputs though on a few occasions.

But listen to this, I tested a routing system where I create 3 audio busses in Vegas, I then route each to different output in Hammerfall. Ie. master outputs to 1/2, bus 1 outputs to 3/4 and so forth, no problems! Unfortunately this is not a workaround for creating a 5.1 mix for our film...

So the problem seems to be ONLY when I set the project to surround sound. I would imagine this is an issue with Vegas pro 12.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mmc57ykonnbwzgz/Dell.png?raw=1

Interesting.  So you are using the SAME 6 outputs you are attempting to use in your Surround projects in your Stereo test project with 3 busses?

I can't determine if your Dell T5500 (Intel 5520 chipset) is using a bridged PCI slot or not - but if you can get 6-8 software channels of audio out of a Stereo Project then I'd be willing to bet that is not the culprit.

Sorry I don't have any more to offer at this time sad  Maybe RME has seen this before - or possibly peek around on the Vegas forums?  I'm not the slightest bit familiar with Vegas...

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

9 (edited by sami sanpakkila 2016-01-07 22:11:58)

Yes, the same outputs and it works fine. The outputs work fine otherwise as well. This is just the first time I've tried this with a real surround sound project.

Will have to test another program as soon as I can find one with a trial version...

Thanks for helping out!