Topic: Raydat Issue with SSL and Lynx

Hi Guys,

I am facing some troubles my RME Raydat and extension module (RME Word Clock Module). Sorry for this long post but I need to explain it somehow.

My setup is as follow -> Lynx Hilo -> RME Raydat & Word Clock Module -> SSL AlphaLink
Raydat is running on a PC with Windows 7.
The sampling frequency is set by the Lynx Hilo, that is acting as the master clock. The Raydat (slave) receive the clock from the Hilo.
The Raydat then is passing the clock to a SSL AlphaLink (slave of the Raydat).
And then the SSL AlphaLink returns the clock to the Lynx Hilo (closes the loop).

So when I am setting 44Khz or 48Khz on the Lynx Hilo, immediately the Raydat and the SSL are set to 44. Same from 48, so it looks ok.

However:
(1) If I try to choose another value other than 44 or 48, say 88 or 96 for instance from the Hilo, it doesn’t work – the Raydat will always display either 48 or 44. In other word I cannot work on 96 KHz when I should be able to.
(2) For some reason on the Hammefall DSP Setting, inside Windozs, the key word Sample Rate is written in Red  – not sure it is normal. Since the documentation is not aligned with the latest version of drivers I don’t know.
Also I can only set the clock source to TCO otherwise it won’t work at all, I mean any of the others options (Sync in etc..) will lead to a 32Khz current sample rate. But I don’t have any TCO module so I am not sure it makes sense in the first place.
(3) Last and very annoying – when working on 48Khz, I may or not may be able to listen to any music through windows media player – only within a DAW but it is very irregular, sometime I can, sometime I can’t. I cannot, I have to reboot the machine, no matter what.

I am in middle of a recording session – any help/suggestions would be more than welcome.
Thanks in advance,
Luc

Re: Raydat Issue with SSL and Lynx

To switch to 96, set the sample rate in your audio application and start playback or recording, then the card will switch.

Which version of the driver is installed here?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Daniel,

I will try but it doesn't make sense to me; the Raydat is the slave and receive the clock from the Lynx Hilo via the BNC cables - so I guess I have to change the sample rate from the Hilo and not from the audio application (?)

I am using the drivers 4.12. The latest manual I found do not seems to be in sync with the Hammefall DSP Setting box. Also is it normal to set the clock source to TCO in the Hammefall DSP Setting box?  because this is the only way to Sync the Raydat with the Hilo.

Thanks a lot,
Luc

This is required to make the card change the sample rate range, i.e. from 48 to 96.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

ok, will try this as soon as I am back to the studio.
Also could you please tell me if it is normal to have to set the clock source to TCO in the Hammefall DSP Setting box?
Is the a documentation up-to-date by chance?
Many thanks,
Luc

IMHO the documentation makes clear that WCM and TCO share the same connector, and that both are the same within the Settings dialog. Therefore Input Status lists the WC signal in the TCO line, as you mentioned.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC,
I appreciate your answer; good to hear that WCM and TCO share the same connector.
You are certainly right on the documentation but it looks like the Hammefall DSP box has a complete different user interface than what is available in the doc and honestly this is not what I would expect from RME. People like me (musician, not sound engineer), dealing with complex setup, need accurate and up-to-date documentation otherwise there will be a lot of assumptions. If RME could work on this, it would be fantastic.
Again thanks for your help.

Not sure what you mean. The manual of the RayDAT is still valid. Changes from driver and TotalMix FX are found in a special update manual which is also mentioned in the driver readme and linked within the download section:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/wi … er_4_e.pdf

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

OMG! I don't have this doc!! the one I have (out of date) I got it from the RME web site under Support, and I do check regularly.
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/raydat_e.pdf

Anyway this is a good news, thanks!

Just to make sure, could you please provide me with the link to the latest and official drivers for the Raydat and World Clock?

You are already using it, version 4.12. The latest version of TM FX as pre-release (currently 1.20) can be found in the TotalMix forum. But that is not mandatory.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME