Topic: Cubase 8.0.35 with HDSP 9652 Crash On Exit

I've updated to the latest RME drivers and that didn't help (4.12).  I have a custom i7 quad core computer that's fairly old, but until now, I've never had a problem with any Cubase update.  I can't close Cubase without getting a "Cubase has stopped working" message.  And it's crashing often while I'm working too.

To test, I tried deleted all the Cubase preferences and I can close as usual without any problems.  But as soon as I switch the audio engine to my RME card, it's back to crashing on exit.

I've rolled back to 8.0.30 for now, but I'd like to be updated to the latest version if possible.

Anyone else having this problem?  Any solutions?  Thanks.

Re: Cubase 8.0.35 with HDSP 9652 Crash On Exit

Check the Revision number on the PCB of the 9652 (printed on in white).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It's Rev 1.6

Can you change the card to a different slot? Does it help to deactivate all WDM devices (Settings dialog, WDM to 0)?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Matthias, I seem to have figured it out.  I had uninstalled 8.0.35 because I had sessions coming up and needed a smooth working system.  But to try your suggestion about deactivating WDM, I had to reinstall it first.  Funny thing is, I can't get the latest version of Cubase to crash now.

So to you or anyone else who might have this problem, here's the only thing I can figure as having caused the issue:  I was on a slightly older RME HDSP driver.  When I was having problems with Cubase and realized it might be the driver, I updated to the latest one.  But that didn't solve the issue and eventually I rolled back to the previous version.

The only difference appears to be that the second time I installed Cubase with the latest RME driver already installed.  Could this be what solved the issue?  Might just be a fluke, but I figure it's worth noting this for the future.

Thanks so much for your willingness to help.  I really appreciate it.

Jason.

I can only speculate that old entries in Cubase own settings files caused some weird behavior. Good to hear it works now.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Unfortunately after a full day of recording, Cubase 8.0.35 is back to crashing again.  As you suggested, I tried setting WDM to 0 which didn't help.  And I have a Gigabyte UD3R motherboard that only has a single PCI slot. 

Any other thoughts?  At this point I've gone back to 8.0.30 which is working totally fine and I'm waiting to hear if anyone on the Cubase forum has a suggestion.

8 (edited by vinark 2016-01-23 11:06:19)

Just for the record I am running the same card with Cubase 8.035 without this issue on a custom build Q9550.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Thanks Vincent.  Great to know someone has the same sound card and it's working. There are so many variables it's sometimes hard to know what to do.  I might try uninstalling CP8, then reinstalling and updating directly to 8.0.35 to see if that works.

I could also try a new video card since I hear that often causes issues.  Mine uses a legacy driver (ATI Radeon 4300/4500 series) so there's no option to update that.  At least the earlier version of Cubase works fine.

In my experience crashes and hangs on exit are almost always caused by a plugin. If Cubase doesn't crash when you just open Cubase, don't load a project and then close Cubase, that is pretty certain. If this is the case post a list of the plugins in a crashing project and if possible I will check.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632