1 (edited by volodymyr.telnov 2016-02-06 09:45:19)

Topic: Dragon Naturally Speaking 13 doesn't accept Babyface as mic /Windows 8

I try to use my Babyface for Dragon Naturally Speaking 13 speech recognition software under Windows 8. And although while in "Manage Dictation Sources" for a user profile I can see my Babyface's Analog(1+2) input with live levels (microphone is switched through Analog 2 input, is on and working - recordings via DIGICheck 5.80 is OK), the DNS program doesn't accept it as a valid dictation source and even suggests that I have no sound system installed on my computer (failed attempt to run Check Microphone with audio.exe utility application).
On a side note, attempts to record sound from mic by Windows sound record utility program (a piece of advice from DNS site to see if the system recognizes my external audio card) fail. The system seems to be oblivious of my RME Babyface when recording - I get an empty file (no recording).

Any ideas how to get Dragon Naturally Speaking 13 work under Windows 8 in this situation. Really need help, I tried most things imaginable - doesn't work. (setting my device as a primary recording device, turning off other audio devices (built in sound card and virtual devices) in Device manager and some others).

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Re: Dragon Naturally Speaking 13 doesn't accept Babyface as mic /Windows 8

It seems you did not use the System Control Panel 'Sound' to assign the correct record and playback device as 'Default'. Otherwise Windows sound recorder would have worked.

If you did then you might have Loopback active in the TotalMix output chanel settings panel.

DNS might also work in mono and require the microphone on channel 1.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by volodymyr.telnov 2016-02-06 09:41:34)

Thank you for a quick reply.
As for the suggestions offered:

MC wrote:

It seems you did not use the System Control Panel 'Sound' to assign the correct record and playback device as 'Default'.

Yes, I did. And Windows sound recorder worked (no warnings; the "start record" button worked as expected) but didn't record the mic signal. As it turned out, somehow in Windows 8 it has a Level setting equal to 0 on a Levels Tab in the Properties window of the Record Devices system window for my chosen mic input Analog(1+2). It's a mystery for me, but whenever I pulled the BabyFace's USB cable off and then plugged it in again, or rebooted the system, the Level was reset to 0 again. Setting it manually to a higher value of the suggested range resulted in live input levels in Windows sound recorder and it did record the sound. But, alas, it wouldn't help with DNS.

As far as I understand, the problem with DNS resides in the fact that BabeFace doesn't register itself as a microphone in Windows. And while my DNS application can see this audio device, it can't for whatever reason consider it a valid input (a mic).

To make my case more interesting, I can tell you that I have DNS 12.5 working just fine under Windows 7 on another notebook with the same BabyFace and mic used. The difference is with Sound card and DNS version - in 12.5 version the layout of selectable input devices is totally different and I can select one of the several options. The non-working options are: Mic-In and USB Microphone. The working option turned out to be a Line-In (which is counterintuitive to me). But it's fine till it works. The built-in audio card is "IDT High Definition Audio" (as it's listed in Device manager).
My "problematic" notebook (ASUS N56V with Windows 8) has a notorious Realtek High Definition Audio and there's no such option as "Line-In" in "Manage Destination Sources" window of DNS. There is a "Stereo Mix: Realtek High Definition Audio"  and  "Microphone: Realtek High Definition Audio" (the latter works OK, by the way, not taking into account poor sound quality, so I have to turn off the built in Microphone in the Recording Devices Tab of the Sound window to try work with BabyFace).
Maybe this is somehow related to my problem? Any additional ideas or suggestions, please?

MC wrote:

If you did then you might have Loopback active in the TotalMix output channel settings panel.

Never knew it existed, thanks for an opportunity to learn new stuff (I'm a newbie). But no, it was switched off.

MC wrote:

DNS might also work in mono and require the microphone on channel 1.

How can I do that, please?

Please help.

If DNS now really requires the property 'mic input' then this is a clear error on their part. Obviously the mic might not be directly within or connected to the computer, but through any other means (analog or digital interface). I mean even Skype is doing this right (pun intended). We will not be able to fix that then, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by volodymyr.telnov 2016-02-06 09:43:51)

This is only my guess, I don't know for sure. It seems after reading so many posts on forums here and there, that I've just read this opinion somewhere. It might as well be wrong.
But the problem is still there and I'd like to find a solution. The cheap mic that I have is working with the Realtek sound card, but it's useless because of the poor recognition quality. So, I hope that here – on forum where people are "more friendly" with sound engineering – I'd get an answer.

Did anyone ever find a solution for this? It's 2022 and I still can't get Dragon NaturallySpeaking to recognise the Babyface.

HDSP Raydat,  Fireface 400, Babyface Pro, Sequoia 16, Samplitude Pro X6, Windows 10