Topic: Fireface UC pot controls volume AND panning now

I plugged my Fireface into my laptop, which has USB 3.0 ports, and the knob on the Fireface started controlling panning as well as volume, instead of just volume. When I plugged it back into my desktop USB 2.0 port, it continued to do the same thing, even after power-cycling the device. It is now stuck in this useless mode and I don't know how to fix it.

I also noticed that when cycling the channels on the device, the stereo buses have become unlinked, too. Instead of cycling from L1 -> L3 -> L5, etc. it now goes from L1 -> L2 -> L3, etc. Even the PH channel is listed twice, once as PH and once as "PH.".

I have no idea why this happened just because I plugged it into a new USB 3.0 device or how to revert it back to a functioning state. Everything works fine if I just use the GUI but the knob on the front panel of the device is completely useless now.

Re: Fireface UC pot controls volume AND panning now

The unit is in mono mode. Long press the encoder...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Oh, heh. Thanks, MC, that seems to have "fixed" it.

"Mono mode" doesn't seem functional, though, if it changes the panning and volume at the same time. Is this working as intended?

Not sure what you expect when the hardware is in mono and your TotalMix channels are set to stereo...how can that work other than what it does now? Fully logical behavior.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Clearly it doesn't! I suppose I was expecting the software would follow the hardware, or the other way around. They should remain synchronised so things like this don't happen!

Hello, I'm experiencing the same problem but holding the encoder doesn't solve it. What is this supposed to do ?
thanks a lot

MC wrote:

The unit is in mono mode. Long press the encoder...

Is this mono mode seen in "TotalMix" ?

No, and please read the manual on how to change between mono and stereo mode via the encoder. If that doesn't work the knob might be too far in so the encoder is not registering the push at all. But in that case you coud also not change between CH and LEV.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME