Topic: old Multiface/Multiset -> USB3 adaptor?

I've got on old Multiface (Nuendo-branded "multiset") with the cable and cardbus adaptor for using with a laptop with cardbus slot.

When I upgraded that laptop, cardbus was no longer available, but I did get one with an ExpressCard slot, and luckily an inline cardbus <-> expresscard adaptor worked.

Now I'm looking at upgrading again.  I can get the widest range of options if I was to be able to use USB3 as my interface.  Two questions:

+ Is usb3 reasonable for both midi (I need tight timing) and audio?

+ If so, does an interface item of some sort exist so that I can continue using the Multiface?  Something to replace my cardbus card (labelled "Audiolink 96 Mobile" on mine, but that's probably the Nuendo branding again)?

Thanks much...

-glenn

Re: old Multiface/Multiset -> USB3 adaptor?

There exists no such adapter for USB 3. Your only chance is to get the latest Thunderbolt- equipped Skylake generation computer, and use a TB to PCIe adapter.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Mattias, great to see you still here, and thanks.  At this point, what might be the path of least resistance for a windows laptop?  Which interface type would be most likely to work across models and chipsets, with which of your products (looking for something like a MultiFace: at least 4 ins, 4 outs, ADAT sync, ADAT data connection, midi in and out)?

I was a little confused at first glance at the latest product list, and I haven't been paying attention to the laptop battles.  Last I was involved, the "firewire is great but usually only if you get the right chipset" issue was the order of the day.  Are we still that way with whatever the latest choices are?  Is usb3 good, or is it best to go for thunderbird?  Or something else?

Thanks...

Fireface UCX via USB - works with everything and is close to the MF (but much better).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks.  One more question.  If the number of audio and midi ins and outs works for me, is the Babyface Pro otherwise comparable in terms of performance? 

+ Does BFPro do ADAT sync in either direction (send, recieve)?

+ Same performance, latency etc audio and midi?

+ there is only one midi jack on the BFPro... is there a breakout cable or ??? to get in and out?

One of my main uses is vst instruments, so midi and audio latency are of paramount concern.  Are your USB2 devices as good as any of the other options, and is BFPro as good as Fireface UCX in terms of this?

Thanks...

Just to clarify, I was concerned about midi because I have read more than once that usb2 and real-time, accurate midi were not the best of friends.  Given my experience with the old MultiFaces drivers, I do know that RME can do some pretty great things with drivers but I just wanted to check on how real-time midi worked with Fireface and Babyface via usb2.

ADAT Sync has long been abandonded and is not part of the Multiface (II) anymore.

MIDI is working very good on USB, at least with RME.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Oh, I had no idea about the ADAT sync.  What is the standard way to sync any two units (possibly not of the same manufacturer) to near-sample-accurate level these days?

Are you talking about audio clock sync (normal ADAT clock sync), or position information within tracks (ADAT Sync)? The latter was limited to ADAT recorders and therefore died quickly. Transport information is  MTC, SMPTE etc - the usual stuff.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yeah, it was for sample-accurate sync without having to start from the beginning (so: positional, but sample-accurate).  In my experience MTC and SMPTE never really got it (not sample-accurate), but ADAT sync (I used cubase and RME Multiface, syncing to, e.g. an Emu Darwin) worked beautifully.  Find a location and hit "play" on the master, the slave would locate and lock with no phase or comb filtering issues or anything.

Is this not doable any more?

It is, with the right hardware and techniques. APP (ASIO Positioning Protocol) is often used internally, but also other techniques work astonishingly well if you use the right TC to computer hardware. Like the Rosendahl units, they even turn MIDI into sample accurate. Our own TCO also translates incoming SMPTE into sample-accurate APP.

Maybe others can chime in to explain how they sync external equipment these days - if they do that at all. Everyone usually records / plays within the computer, external audio recorders are a thing of the past.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Would love to hear how others are doing it, especially without having to hook up other equipment.  One use case would be multiple people working on a long multi-tracked audio project on their own computers.  How to keep the audio data in sync?  One way would be to render out zero-based-start-time files for each track so they would line up.  But for very long projects, if you wanted to sync over a short piece of audio that doesn't start until very late in the project, syncing the computers together and just recording across 8 tracks at a time is quick, easy, and doesn't require generating large files of mostly silence.

You're right, the days of actually running synced machines to create more tracks are probably mostly over, but ADAT sync was still enormously useful for other sorts of things.

Anyone else, how do you go about keeping selected audio tracks in mulitple projects on different computers in sync or copied across accurately (time-wise)?  Sample-accurate is sometimes helpful due to, for instance, multi-mic'ed instruments.

If you use Broadcast Wave Files (that include timecode) then they will line-up at the same timecode when re-imported (you might have to force your DAW to obey the BWave timestamps when importing).  No need for "leading silence" from "0" - but that works too smile

If you are not synchronizing external hardware (like an ADAT machine), then I personally don't see a need for the old 9-pin ADAT Sync connections.  And curious - How exactly do you use the physical 9-pin ADAT Sync to help in this regard (sharing multi-tracked audio files across different PC's)?  If you are using a common DAW application between computers - then just use the DAW project file and "Save As" to give incremental versions as you go...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Interesting, although with broadcast wave files the process would still require an explicit export operation for each track (which is clunky in this case... see my usage description below).  Is it sample-accurate?  I'll need to experiment a little but I wonder how widely "understood" (by various software) the embedded timing information is.  My Cubase manual does mention a "broadcast" option, but only mentions Author, Description, and Reference strings that can be embedded.  Perhaps timecode is assumed?   In any case, this might at least be a space-saving (if not work-saving) option depending on how accurate it is.

Regarding the ADAT 9-pin use-case: no, not necessarily common DAW software.  Basically, when a writing partner and I get together to collaborate, we each have our own version of a common work in progress.  These versions may be wildly different in terms of what is recorded (because we are working on our own disparate visions) but often we do have an agreed-upon timeline, perhaps a set of drum tracks already, etc.

We hook the ADAT sync cable between the two (you have to have, apparently, old hardware that supports ADAT sync now... this is the crux of the problem), make one the master, one the slave, then if one of us has an area of audio that we want the other to have, *in phase-accurate sync* (because sometimes we are dealing with multi-mic'ed sources), we just play the two DAWs in sync at that area and put one in record mode for the couple/few minutes needed.

It's nice and easy and it's a little bit of a bummer that there's no real common, no-additional-gear-on-both-ends-needed way to do this any more if that's really the case.  I thought this was a common use-case, but maybe not?

I'm mainly a Cubase/Nuendo guy (and generally collaborate by sharing the entire Cubase Sessions Folder / not via Importing files directly) - but I do believe you could simply copy the desired BWave file out of the media pool and import it into any DAW of your choice (assuming they read BWave timestamps properly).  Should line up sample accurate according to the standards:

http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/form … 0356.shtml

A Broadcast Wave file also carries an embeddable sample accurate timestamp that enables it to be placed in the appropriate spot on a destination timeline on any computer workstation with software that supports the format."

An offline "file copy" method seems much simpler (even if you had to re-export the take somehow) than connecting/clocking/synchronizing playback between 2 separate PC's (which both PC's must then must be in the same physical location, and be physically connected to K/V/M and powered on for that kind of realtime bounce to happen).  I/O Routing and all that must be done (and accurate) as well - where importing a BWave will magically create the track and line it up for you.  And of course a BWave can then be shared online (Dropbox) or sneaker-netted via USB.  No need to lug around an entire DAW PC and its I/O just to export some tracks to another DAW PC...

Of course if you did punch-ins or whatever on the track you want to export, you'd need to bounce or consolidate the track first (inside your DAW) to end up with a contiguous BWave file that renders the punch-ins or other edits "in place"...

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

Mattias, is the TCO option only available for the ff800 (for someone using a laptop. that is)?

Randyman, okay, I just did a little test and after some fussing I was able to export audio from a location and pull it into cubase at the same location (down to the thousandths-of-a-second resolution anyway, as per display... can't confirm if this is sample-accurate at this point).

The problem is, just the import process is a couple of steps (can't just import files, you have to pull them into the audio pool, then pull them from the pool into the project explicitly telling it to do so "at origin")

So between setting up and doing the export, and fiddling with the import, this is unfortunately not nearly as easy as hooking an adat sync cable between two interfaces, checking the sync box in cubase, and going.

To further elaborate on the use-case:  right, this is not for remote working.  It is in the same physical location.  No KVM needed, just two laptops and two interfaces that have ADAT sync cable capability.  And yes, a mixer with a stereo input for each laptop.  Oh, and an ADAT lightpipe connection between the two as well, and voila 8 simultaneous tracks available.

Let's say two of us get together to work collaboratively on a project on which we had been working out individual parts on our own.

When in sync, we can try person A's drum/bass/rhythm tracks against person B's different vocal bed experiments for example.  Group solo, playback, change group solo to different take, playback again, discuss, try, etc... when ready, to transfer over some tracks, just arm/record on one and play on the other.  It's pretty painless in practice.  For non-physical meeting, yes, the bwave approach and some cloud storage definitely seems the way to go.  This is more for being in the same room and trying and discussing.

I do realize that unfortunately things change.  It appears that the equipment to make this paradigm work is now harder to find and not inexpensive.  Oh well.  At least now I think I have a clearer picture of where things are.  Thanks for the elaboration.

You can easily change the timeline to show samples. And you can easily sync multiple Cubendos via VST System Link, over audio lines.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ah, interesting, I never paid attention to VST System Link... will need to try it.  If it works it would at least solve the problem when both sides are Cubase which is at least a reasonable fraction of the time.  Thanks for the pointer.

Ah - I wasn't aware the PC's were in the same room - but I still see re-recording from DAW#1 to DAW#2 as a workaround/kludge.  Nothing wrong with workarounds at all...

FWIW - you can usually drag the wave file(s) directly into the project, and Cubase will create a new track and all that jazz for you.  No need to copy from pool to pool (Cubase will automatically import the clip into the pool when you drag it over).  It is just a matter of copying the file over form PC#1 to PC#2 - and if the PC's are in the same location then they can be networked (no USB or other connections needed).

As we know - whatever works for you and makes you happy will be the best solution in the end.  Re-recording would drive me mad.  There are many ways to skin that cat.  MC's Steinberg VST System Link recommendation or Vienna Ensemble PRO are more elaborate solutions - Vienna being DAW agnostic...

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

I hope I'm not being pedantic, but just for completeness' sake, it didn't seem to me that you could just drag into project.  Well, actually, I just tried importing directly in (say "yes" when it says "create tracks?") and it defaulted to placing the new audio segments at the locator point.  I did not see an obvious way to change the default.  I googled around a bit, and what I found seemed to indicate that you needed to go the pool first, then "import at origin" from there.  I could be wrong, that's just where I ended it.

Just wanted to put this in here for maybe my future self once I've gotten a new interface and forgotten the details of this conversation.

And I agree, re-recording does have that make-work element to it, but in practice it just worked out to be less steps than export/copy/import/place.  "It is what it is" as they say... I'm bummed the adat sync capability is gone, but I'm certainly glad there are alternatives.

One more vote for VST system link. In the past I used this when one machine didn't have enough CPU power yet. Works very nicely!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632