Topic: DIGIFACE : electric shock H/P to mixer line in.

Though a bit late, I wish to start with happy new year wishes to the RME staff.

So I sold my Digiface which was doing just fine for years with either cardbus or expresscard, including with adapters on PCi / PCiE slots. The buyer informs me that plugging the headphone out to a 01V96 pair of line inputs,results in a shock to the operator and one mixer strip fried. Factory power supply used, this was with PCMCIA.

I am to receive him at home to perform some troubleshooting and see if the hardware is at fault and whether it could be serviced.

Can some helpful soul direct me to where I should start ? Multimeter to power supply and H/P outs ? Any recommendations on what I should look before sending to servicing would be awesome.

Best regards.
Roger.

Re: DIGIFACE : electric shock H/P to mixer line in.

Does the Digiface still work? Then you don't need to check as the fault was wrong or missing grounding and not a voltage/current initiated from the Digiface itself.

In this case I would expect the headphone output of the Digiface being damaged as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Matthias, that's nicely quick and helpful. Yes the sopund card does work but the buyer informs me that the host  red light goes on after a few minutes usage and that midi operation is eratic, with sluggish performance. All symptoms of a poorly configured workstation and possibly not related to the hardware problem they experienced.

So in your opinion there is nothing to check really. Does this mean that the card can resume operation after fixing the ground problem albeit without Headphone and one less mixer strip ? They are currently accusing me of selling them a defective interface...

I really appreciate this awesome support you provide. Thanks. In the meantime, my 15 yo multiface works like a champ with an expresscard on a 20€ pcie adapter... RME products and support are too good to be true; yet they are true smile

Best regards,
Roger.

> but the buyer informs me that the host  red light goes on after a few minutes usage

That usually happens when there is not enough power. I would try a different power supply first. Of course I can not rule out that the DF got damaged in a way that this kind of error shows up.

From a technical point the problem that occured is fully clear and nothing  astonishing. Ground level is often not identical in different places. Notebooks (their power supplies) can produce AC up to 90V above ground etc etc. And when plugging it all together it just gives a small spark or a more powerful current. The cause and source of all this clearly was not the DF, but the notebook (or computer) that it was connected to. And the fact that the operator got a shock should have made clear already that the notebook had been on a totally different voltage level without grounding or the same ground as the mixer.

I have seen units where this happened and the phones output stage got destroyed, together with the EMI parts around it. The unit usually still works (phones not, of course). Balanced connections never show this kind of problem, quite logical again.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Matthias, very helpful and totally on point.

I will still try to help them out and minimize the nuisance to their rig but thanks to you I'm out of the woods...

In case the DF took serious damage outside the HP out, is their any chance that the unit can still be serviced, maybe via RMA or authorized dealer ? It's a grey box, otherwise in mint shape.

Have a very nice evening.
Roger.

It should be possible to service/repair it. Just contact your local distributor.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

OK, I'll let them now and hope for the best.
At the risk of repeating myself, your support is awesome. This  was common practice in the Compuserve days but quickly vanished when digital audio entered the consumer market. Nice to have places where the old ways still live smile

Best regards,
Roger DUBOST