1 (edited by Govanus 2016-02-18 21:19:06)

Topic: Fireface UC usb problem (stuck in Host)

Hello dear moderators.
My audio interface stuck in Host mode (RED LED) after I disconnected USB to reconnect in the other host. I tried everything I found about here, but no luck.
I use new MacBook Pro 15'' OS X El Capitan 10.11.3
All drivers is new, It's in AP mode, power supply is OK as well as my cables, because I tried four if them. Sound card was working before I touched USB and completely lost this connection.
Please help me to solve this problem.
Thank you

Re: Fireface UC usb problem (stuck in Host)

Hold in the knob (push) while you switch on the unit, this is a reset. Could help.

Otherwise, try a different computer to see if it's the same, if so the unit may require service.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thank you Jeff for quick respond!
I've tried different computer and it worked, but again right after system was restarted, same problem as on my MacBook, Tried to reset didn't helped. Maybe somehow the drivers is getting wrong after this actions...

Jeff wrote:

Hold in the knob (push) while you switch on the unit, this is a reset. Could help.

Otherwise, try a different computer to see if it's the same, if so the unit may require service.

You tried the other USB port?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes I did, tested on all of iMac usb ports as well as on my MacBook, nothing changed. Unit worked during the very first connect to new computer, but after it goes in HOST mode, just right after disconnection or restarting computer. Very strange.

MC wrote:

You tried the other USB port?

6 (edited by hakan_folkesson 2016-03-25 14:05:28)

I have similar problems. works fine on mac book pro with Yosemite. On iMac 5K with the latest El Capitan it behaves irregular. The latest update to 10.11.4 today did not help. Right now the fireface usb settings is not able to start at all. an hour ago it worked fine for about 15 minutes then it started to crash and restart instantly making any operation on the computer impossible. I have tried reset, different power supply, different usb cable, all available usb ports. Also tried to install earlier driver but that did not help. have restarted the computer about 40 times since last week when it started. Have also installed the latest driver about 10 times. Before last week everything has been working fine.

Running Onyx and cleaning out all kinds of caches et cetera did it for me. Now everything is working again!

And now the problem is back:(
The fireface usb settings crash and restart instantly making any operation on the computer impossible.
Tried every option on Onyx that fixed it last time but no change this time.

I forgot to switch back to the original power supply after trying a different one with the same voltage and ampere. Sorry about that. Seems like a total cleanup with Onyx, the right power supply plus 10.11.4 fixed it after all. Today everything worked again and I have been working for 6 hours without any problems on my iMac 5k late 2014.

And twice again since I posted last time the problem has come back.
the usb on the mac seems to be switching on/off about once every 2-3 seconds.
I have managed to make it work with Onyx again but then after working fine for a day it comes back and today Onyx did not help.
The new driver did not make any difference for this usb-issue.

As I have heard, Apple has reprogrammed the USB stack new from scratch in El Capitan. There seem to be several incompatibilities and problems since then. May be you're a victim, too. Any insights by RME concerning El Capitan compatibility?
Regards, Haraldino

Hello,

I have the same problem as Govanus explained.
I tried to do EVERYTHING that was suggested in this discussion with no success.
I was running on El Capitan. Everything was working great but this morning the red light on the host is constantly lit.
I installed sierra and the new drivers with no success.
What can I do now ?
Thanks for your help !

Hi People,

Same thing happened on this side. Since this morning my Fireface UC is stucked in Host and outputs a very weird pulsing sound from the audio outputs.

I am running 10.10.5 on a MacMini 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7

Since this issue seems to be happening to many people with different OS I think this is not related to the host machine but the the audio device.

RME?

I changed the power supply for a similar one and the problem seems to be fixed now.

Hi!

I have this exactly same problem with UC on the newest macbook pro w touch bar.

Did any of you find any other solutions than changing the power adapter?

Mia

hello hakan_folkesson
dis you find solutions for this ?
Seems to have the same probleme
the card is in host for a while
I have to turn it off and on !!!

17 (edited by dcocharro 2021-11-14 18:57:02)

Hi!
A friend has a  similar problem with his Fireface UC.
Totalmix won't open automatically neither "Fireface USB Settings" but the unit seems to be detected in OSX has "Fireface UC Win (23452650)".

I tested everything suggested: factory reset (push button), driver re-installation, onyx cleanup, firmware flash fails because the app doesn't open (i don't understand the reason), i tested another power supply and another usb cable, and I tried all of that on two macbooks.

I think the only test missing now is the problem reported with the capacitors:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CakfRw5Pggo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYMVOfMv2ww
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPDwZntYGEc

Any suggestions?
Thank you

Totalmix won't open automatically neither "Fireface USB Settings" but the unit seems to be detected in OSX has "Fireface UC Win (23452650)".

The Fireface UC is in the wrong firmware mode. See here for help with switching from PC mode to APple mode:

https://youtu.be/PS5-_kpizTE

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

The Fireface UC is in the wrong firmware mode. See here for help with switching from PC mode to APple mode:

https://youtu.be/PS5-_kpizTE

I was completely unaware of those two operational modes.
Thankfully for your quick response.
I'm very grateful, thank you!

Throw a hefty RTFM to your friend...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME