Topic: Connecting iPad Air to UFX

Hello,

I just got an iPad Air, which comes with a lightning connector and lightning to USB
(Type A) connector.  For class-compliant use with the UFX  can I use a simple  (inexpensive) usb type A to type B adapter to connect to the USB port on the back of the UFX, or must I purchase the $29 Apple lightning to USB "camera" adapter?

Thanks for these great audio tools!

Re: Connecting iPad Air to UFX

The 'camera connector' is not passive but active and enables USB host mode. No way without it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by cbraswell 2016-05-14 19:07:03)

Hi sacsound.  I just came across this post of yours from a while back.  I have an iPad Air and have been trying to get the UFX TotalMix app working but not having much luck. I have the UFX in CC Mode and have it connected to the iPad using the Apple Lightening to USB Camera Adapter and a standard USB connector.  However the app always indicates (in the upper right corner) "Fireface UFX Disconnect" (so it obviously doesn't work).  Any words of wisdom for me that might help me figure this out?

Many thanks!

-CB

Hi CB,

Forgive me if you get this response twice. I thought I responded yesterday on my phone, but I'm not sure it went through.

I have successfully used my iPad Air twice this week to run TotalMix for my UFX interface.  It's very convenient, especially when you don't want to haul around a laptop.  Provided your USB cable and the Apple Camera Adapter are functioning properly and that your device firmware is up to date this configuration should work just fine.  I do believe that you need to set the UFX to CC Mode before connecting the iPad, however you may need to experiment with the exact connection sequence. 

Best of luck with this issue.  I'll be interested to hear what you discover!

Sacsound