Topic: HDSPe MADI FX manage 32 chs limit on protools

Dear Matthias,

Using HDSPe MADI Fx with Protools on Mac, we know Avid limited the maximum number of channels to 32 and only the first 32.
Is it possible to manage which of the 192 i/o will be seen? Maybe by the TotalMix.

It could be a great solution!

All my best, Alberto.

Re: HDSPe MADI FX manage 32 chs limit on protools

Suggested in this forum already, and on our list. But I don't see it within the next months, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok, Thank you. hope soon to see good news about it!

That would be a great option! I just got on here to see if anyone had asked the above question before me. I have 2 sets of converters - one for mic inputs when tracking and one for outboard gear when mixing. In Reaper or Samplitude it's the perfect setup, but in PT that stupid 32 I/O limit is forcing me to patch like crazy when mixing. If we could set which physical MADI ports are seen as 1, 2, or 3, it would solve the problem.

I understand it's not on the RME radar right now, so I'll keep an eye out. Thanks!

Any news about this features ?

Any updates on this for 2021?

I'm guessing RME keep hoping Avid pull the heads out of the butts and lift this...unfortunately here we are still.  Personally I've mostly weened myself off of PT, but my facility is available for freelancers and it's essentially non-functional without this.   

I'm using Focusrite Red 8Pre's more or less because of this issue.

The only thing holding me back from buying 3x Madi HDSPe MADI fx is this...(of course I would test one first, but it looks like it would work for me)

We are not hoping on anything from Avid. This feature requires a lot of changed code and development time, which we did not find for quite some time. But it is still something that we want to add, for various reasons and use cases.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by RyanC 2021-04-28 14:41:15)

MC wrote:

We are not hoping on anything from Avid. This feature requires a lot of changed code and development time, which we did not find for quite some time. But it is still something that we want to add, for various reasons and use cases.

Thanks MC-

Totally understandable, it's a lot of work for RME to do for a company (Avid) that frankly doesn't support their user base very well...Lots of us still begrudgingly need PT compatibility.  Would also be nice for DAWs that don't have comprehensive IO labeling and enable/disable functions (which is thankfully getting more rare these days).

One workaround that I found is the Ferrofish Pulse/A32- they have onboard routing in 8ch blocks.  This  should at least allow for reordering in 8ch groups.

I totally forgot about that limitation and was fiddeling around for hours with my Raydat today (a real mood booster wink ). I use the AES output as loopback in TotalMix to route my computer audio into PT (for Slate VSX). It worked in Reaper and even in PT on 88.2 (being ADAT -> less channels), but on 44.1/48 AES is 33/34. You can see it and even route to it in PTs I/O and output assignments, but there will be nothing but silence... no hint or warning, just silence. Luckily I can get around that with TotalMix, routing the loopback to a "dummy channel", as I only have a Pulse 16 and therefore 16 channels to spare on SMUX1.

Once again it's TotalMix to the rescue, but to be able to freely map specific ASIO channels would be truly great. Especially if it would be possible sample rate dependent (for ADAT users).

While it won't get you to see all the possible HDSPe MADI FX channels, as of Pro Tools 2020.6, the maximum channel count has been increased from 32 to 64 channels.

https://www.synthax.co.uk/latest/2021/0 … -channels/