Topic: Totalmix problem

Hi Everyone,

I have some problems with my RME babyface (snowface actually). I am very new with this device and with professional recording in general. I hope you guys can help me out here.

When I plug in my guitar, and I set hardware inputs and outputs on AN 1/2, I get a signal when I am playing, but I can't hear the guitar. I've tried all kinds of things to fix that, but to be honest, I have no clue of what I am doing. I've also watched some tutorials on youtube, but they don't adress this problem.

My second problem is, that although I get signal form the input and output channel in Totalmix, when I want to record something in Cubase, I can't do that with the babyface. I set the device setup on 'IN: Analog 1+2, RME Babyface' and 'OUT: Speakers'. I have also tried it with the output on 'RME Babyface speakers', but the result is the same.

I really hope someone can help me with this. I really have little knowledge with recording like this, so maybe I am missing something very simpel here. Anyway, I look forward to your comments, thanks!

Re: Totalmix problem

Hi,
if you run TMFX in regular "Submix" mode, then every output fader can receive whatever inputs you want (if you click different output fader, then you may see how overall layout changes),
so if you wanna record guitar AND also hear backing track, you need to at first figure out which output is your headphones, then which input is your guitar and then which output is the daw (cubase) you use, and let those inputs be hearable by moving the faders while having the desired output fader selected,
if you're on Windows, then at first make sure Cubase is running in ASIO mode and using Hammerfall DSP, so you are actually routing proper inputs/outputs and avoid problems with latency and monitoring smile

HDSPe AIO, ADI-2 DAC, Fireface UFX, Octamic D, Octamic II
Reaper, High Sierra