1 (edited by Megalobass 2015-06-23 11:07:34)

Topic: Logic Pro X 10.1 and new preamp remote control feature

Hi,

As you know Apple releases a new version of Logic Pro X, the 10.1. There is a lot of new features : http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203718

One this new features is remote control for interface preamp inside de Mixer. If you connect an Apogee interface your mixer appears like that :

https://bertrandallaume.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/lpx-apogee-quartet.png

I did a lot of tests with RME interfaces (Babyface, Fireface UC / UCX / UFX and Madiface XT) and I've find that only the Babyface can use this new feature. But you only have the preamp gain, no +48v alim, and no phase inversion.

https://bertrandallaume.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/lpx-babyface.png

It would be awesome to have this new feature for all the RME interfaces with digital gain control.

This kind of feature is very useful during a recording session. With the preamp remote control in your mixer you don't need to switch to an other windows for setting your preamp. And with the new Logic Remote for iPad you can remote your preamp too.
A very elegant workflow !

Is it possible to have this preamp remote control for all the RME interfaces ? It would be great for all the Logic Users !

Bertrand Allaume

Re: Logic Pro X 10.1 and new preamp remote control feature

It would be excellent if this could work with the UFX, great feature to have. Please RME, try to make it so!

+1

Hi all,

+1 for me too ! The new update offer many features and especially the possibility to remote control our favorite interfaces. I use a Fireface UCX and i'm very satisfied by audio quality and features available, but i must confess that I'm a little bit disappointed to see that interfaces of lower quality can benefit of this feature while mine is far superior in terms of quality. As usual, I'm sure developpers from RME will listen to their customers and will do their best to maintain at a very high level of integration RME's products with Logic Pro (it's also why we prefer RME instead of many others). ;-)

"Dankeschön" to all RME's guys and be the force with you ! ;-)

RME Fireface UCX - Mac OS X 10.9.5

This new feature blends in the options from the Audio MIDI Setup into Logic. FF400 and Babyface allow to adjust I/O levels/gains in there, so Logic controls it now without the need to open Audio MIDI Setup.

Of course nobody would ever open that anyway but control them either directly at the unit or via Settings dialog or TotalMix FX.

This kind of system level control has brought more problems than advantages, which is why we never added it again to a new unit since the FF 400 (with the BF as exception).

Such a system integration can easily be influenced by badly behaving software, and that is not what you want in a professional audio interface.

So while we have no plans to add such features shortly we will follow feedback that users provide using these new features.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by Megalobass 2015-06-23 11:07:55)

Thanks Matthias for your feedback.

I totally understand your point of view. I think this kind of feature is a part of the Apple's GUI evolution. Now with the full screen mode added to all the Apple softwares, the idea is to have a lot of settings in only one window. In this case you don't need to go back to an other window / software to correctly set your recording session.
And with the incredible low latency we have with RME interfaces we can now working only in the DAW. In my case I set my headphones mix inside Logic and it works well !
And the other point is the Logic Remote. Now you access this feature (preamp remote) in the Logic Remote. So, for musicians who need to record alone, like a drummer by instance, you can do your fine settings with your iPad as a remote. Very simple and very useful I think.
Just an other example when you connect an Apogee Symphony I/O to Logic Pro X 10.1 :
https://bertrandallaume.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/lpx-apogee-symphony.png
In this case you can change the input mode (mic, instrument, line).
Do you think it would be possible to create a link between Logic and TotalMix instead of Audio MIDI setup ?

Thanks for your support Matthias !

Bertrand Allaume

This is not only a smart but very helpful feature, I do really hope it gets supported by RME.

Ah... I'm not the only one that had requested this feature.
I tried posting in the FW/USB forum as I thought it was a hardware/driver implementation and not TotalMix:

[Feature Request] Support Logic Pro X's new remote control of inputs. (Page 1) — FireWire & USB series — RME User Forum

I understand that this kind of solution can be problematic. Maybe there could be some sort of switch to turn it ON or OFF?

RME Fireface UFX
Mac Mini 2.6 GHz 16 GB Ram Areca RAID | MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz 16 GB Ram | OS 10.10.5

+1 from me to this. Just working on a tender where 16 mic pre amps would needed with DAW remote for gain...

10 (edited by isabelle_duchon 2015-07-09 08:16:59)

It's a remote control for the gain of your audio interface's preamp. It avoids having to reach for the gain knob on your audio interface.

I've just find the technical note from Apple about this feature :
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac … index.html

Regarding the new Babyface Pro : it works great with Logic Pro X and you can setup the gain in Logic Pro X but also in Final Cut Pro X and in OS X.

Bertrand Allaume

Hi,

I've try the Logic Remote App on the new iPad Pro. It's a great App and now you can remote 10 channels on one page ! It's an incredible workflow now with Logic Pro X.
It would be awesome to remote at least 10 RME preamps with a Fireface UFX + Octamic XTC bundle.
It would be the ultimate solution for drummers or musicians who record alone, without sound engineer.
My 2 cents

Bertrand Allaume

13 (edited by Cliquer 2016-09-23 18:30:45)

I stumbled across this thread while I was searching for a solution to the same problem. And I found one and thought I´d share it with you.

If you are german speaking you can read it as Tutorial with screenshots on my Blog.
Else here are the steps:

1. Open Logic and create as many 'External MIDI' Tracks as many Preamps you have.
2. Open my Template in Max/Msp.
3. Check under Options -> MIDI Setup that ´to Max 1´ and ´from Max 1' is set.
4. In Logic set the port of all of the ´External MIDI´ Tracks to ´to Max 1´.
5. In Logic set the Channel from above tracks to one unique MIDI Channel each.
6. Enable MIDI in TotalMix
7.Set MIDI In of Total Mix to 'from Max1´ or ´Logic_Remote_to_Soundcard´
8. If you turn the Pan Knob of the External MIDI Tracks, you should see the corresponding gains of the preamps moving.
9. You can now use the Mixer Window of Logic Remote to control the Preampgain of TotalMix

If you don´t have Max you can download this build I did. But I can´t guarantee it´s working on every Systems (only tested on 1 other Mac). In Case you are using my build you have to set MIDI ports to ´Logic_Remote_to_Soundcard´

Hope this helps!
If you have any Questions ask me anything.
Best
Cliquer

Hi,

Is there some peoples who try the new MADIface Pro with Logic Pro X ? I did some tests with the new Babyface Pro and I can easily remote the two preamps from the Logic Pro X mixer (only the gain but it's work). It is the same for the new MADIface Pro ? Just to be sure. Thanks !

Bertrand Allaume

I finally did some test with the MADIface Pro. Same kind of integration than the Babyface Pro. The good point : it's possible to control the output level of the analog output in Audio Midi Setup (like the the BFP) but it's also possible to control the output level of MADI output 1 and 2. Good point to use some external converter like the amazing ADI-8 QS and to control the volume with the Mac keyboard keys. Very useful !

It's sound like RME could add some incredible features for Mac and Logic Pro X users. The amazing things could be to remote the gain preamp of the Octamic XTC directly in Logic when it's configure as an Aux Device in TotalMix FX. And it could be possible to remote more than one XTC ! It could be the best solution ever for Logic Pro X !

Bertrand Allaume

Any update on this?

Five years later, any news or update ? ;-)

Bertrand Allaume

Seven years later.... still no News...

Are there such a few Logic Users out there? wink

“Do It For Her”
My Gear: Bontempi Magic light Keyboard

I've been using Logic for nearly 30 years and I've never felt the need for this 'feature', as much of what I need is set up in TotalmixFX  and a click away on the RME ARC USB.

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

mattrixx wrote:

I've been using Logic for nearly 30 years and I've never felt the need for this 'feature', as much of what I need is set up in TotalmixFX  and a click away on the RME ARC USB.

Yes... maybe you dont need it. Maybe it is not very important to control the Mic Preamp etc. via Logic. So you control the whole TMFX via your ARC USB? How does it interact with Logic?

if you want to use the RMEs-internal DSP Effects/Eq/Dynamics for inputs for example?
And automate them in Logic?

“Do It For Her”

maggie33 wrote:
mattrixx wrote:

Yes... maybe you dont need it. Maybe it is not very important to control the Mic Preamp etc. via Logic. So you control the whole TMFX via your ARC USB? How does it interact with Logic?

It doesn't. It runs as a virtual mixing console and monitor controller.

if you want to use the RMEs-internal DSP Effects/Eq/Dynamics for inputs for example?
And automate them in Logic?

Again, I'm not sure why you would want to use them in Logic. If you want to use them for assistive tracking for the performer/s, set up a scene in Totalmix.

I don't use the Totalmix EQ and or Dynamics in Logic. Sometimes I'll 'burn in' the EQ and or Dynamics into Totalmix Durec Recorder when capturing direction from remote locations, such as Source Connect, Cleanfeed, Zoom, Teams etc. (levels can be a little erratic, so taming them for the directors reference track can be helpful).

Hope some of this makes sense.
I guess it's horse for courses.

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

Thank you, mattrixx

I don't use the Totalmix EQ and or Dynamics in Logic.

OK. It seems that you have another scenario.

I use Logic/RME for Music creating and recording - sometimes live on the stage.
And i want to use/control (and automate!) the really good builtin DSP EQ, Dynamics from the RME-Hardware in Logic.

If you want to use them for assistive tracking for the performer/s, set up a scene in Totalmix.

You mean the Snapshots? - Yes i know. And i use them. But this is not the point. i do not want just fire up a static setup.

The OSC Implementation seems to be the right way for me....

“Do It For Her”