1 (edited by yuval.ron 2016-07-13 13:44:42)

Topic: TotalMix input mute buttons do not work

I have TotalMix FX v1.21 for Mac OS X (Yosemite), with Fireface UC v123 / Driver v2.16.

I am turning on "Mute" button on different inputs, but it doesn't do anything - audio keeps coming in and sent to playback routes. See attached image. "Global Mute" doesn't work either.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx9EAB-ajacTWTVXMHlIZXMxRDg

[EDIT] Unfortunately image display is broken in this forum, here is the direct url to image: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx9EAB … HlIZXMxRDg

Where is the problem?

Yuval

--
Yuval Ron
Download full album
www.yuvalron.com

Re: TotalMix input mute buttons do not work

What outputs do you want to mute ?

I want to mute inputs, not outputs, For example to protect from peaks while connecting a mic or turning on a preamp. I can think of many other use cases and these buttons should work.

--
Yuval Ron
Download full album
www.yuvalron.com

Gloabl Mute enables the Mute buttons in the channels...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

@MC I made sure Global Mute is on and still I get audio on muted input channels... see here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx9EAB … QxYTJZb0E/

--
Yuval Ron
Download full album
www.yuvalron.com

Just to clarify: Mute in this case works in the sense that audio from the input channel is not routed to any outputs. But it still comes in as the image indicates, which it quite strange because why would I want to receive audio on a muted input? Moreover - if I want to plug in a mic or a preamp into any channels, the actual inputs are still hot, which means that it is not protected from any peaks etc. Can't it harm the device over time?

--
Yuval Ron
Download full album
www.yuvalron.com

> But it still comes in as the image indicates, which it quite strange because why would I want to receive audio on a muted input?

It is very useful to see the input signal/level situation no matter if you mute the audible signal or not. And that's why we are not the only ones to implement it that way.

There is no hardware mute. If you have a too hot level at the input it will still overload the input electronics. And you can see it anytime and fix the situation quickly thanks to the current implementation.

BTW, I am not aware of any mixing desk (ever) to mute the signal at the input jack. It always happens after the preamp.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Okay. So I am guessing that causing peaks by connecting a mic or preamp to hardware inputs does not harm the audio interface?

--
Yuval Ron
Download full album
www.yuvalron.com

9 (edited by Sebastian Wolf 2016-10-12 18:56:49)

Hi all,

@MC - Hey dude, thx for all the great work you guys do at rme. Yeah, I don't know one either ..And muting after preamps - Okidoki, but doesn't that usually also mean "before further signal processing" (sends, submixes, what not incl. direct outs)? -Should mean: I also want to mute a channel before software record tapping happens. EQ and Dyns are optional switchable into record path. Isn't that physicaly possible for the muteswitch or didn't you just like to do it that way?
Fortunately the Interfaces rme fabricates are so freakin fast at latency issues, that, in some cases, I'm monitoring signals through (or post) the sequencer while mixing the main muddle still with totalmix. If I do so without loopback, mute button in totalmix equals useless.

Thx in advance

BTW if somebody 's interested - Just got my brand new UFX+ within one of the first delivery routines for germany. Holy, Mother, Of Moly!! What else can I say besides I'm just so in love with this little monster!? Win10, x99 chipset, cubase 8.5, usb3 front panel - 0.784ms input lantency at 96khz / 64 samples buffer size! yay :D

greets

10 (edited by ramses 2016-10-12 05:35:50)

+1  the UFX+ is indeed an amazing product.

[ a little bit off-topic, but to the point amazing product ]

Before I connected and used my Geithain 906D via AES "thinking" they have eventually a more advanced D/A section.
Now I cleaned my desk a bit as I wanted to get rid of the AES Splitter besides my monitor.

After connecting the RL906D now to the normal analog 1+2 outputs of the UFX+ there was a certain WOW effect !

It appeared to me as if the room now got more body in the stereo panorama so thaat the different instruments
were easier to locate in this room. I am using now D/A of the UFX+ with much pleasure.

Great work @RME .. the UFX+ is really an amazing unit.

P.S.: some time ago I had the opportunity to listen to a good HiFi, Accuphase Class-A with the new B&W 803 D3.
So I know now how nice a "good room" can be.
And I really think, that with the UFX+ it became better than before.
What counts is simly, that I am very satisfied at the end with the UFX+ and also with the Geithains wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13