Topic: RME RayDAT stability issues

I just got an RME RayDAT and have installed it in my audio rack. Its pretty good overall, however I am getting some issues with clicks/pops. One of the selling points of the RME PCIe cards was stability, and to be honest, at 64 samples buffer size, with the same number of instances of plugins, my old USB2 M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R performs about the same, in terms of clicks/pops during live playing of multiple tracks... Which doesnt seem right at all.

Im also noticing at lower latencies that when I move the mouse, open/close dialogues, or drag windows around, the clicks increase dramatically.

I'll start with my PC setup:

• Windows 7 SP1 64 bit

• Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK Motherboard

• 16GB RAM

• 2x Samsung EVO SSD

• No GFX card (using onboard intel)

• No wifi

My audio setup:

• RME RayDAT PCIe card installed into PCIe x16 slot with latest drivers/firmware, clocked internal/master

• Steinberg UR824 connected+clocked as slave via ADAT

• Behringer ADA8200 connected+clocked as slave via ADAT

• Reaper 5.2

I have done a bunch of optimisation on Windows so far, including but not limited to:

• Turned on High Performance mode, made sure all settings were on maximum in the advanced settings

• Disabled a bunch of unneeded services/startup items such as WLAN/WWAN related stuff, firewall etc

• Set performance for Background services

• Disabled network cards and other unneeded items in Device Manager

• Turned off system sounds

• Only allowed Windows access to one stereo pair of the RayDATs ADAT IO

• Turned off CPU parking in the registry

• Turn off intel Speed Step EIST in BIOS

• Made sure I have up to date drivers for my motherboard, intel chipset, intel gfx etc

My DPC Latency isnt terrible, but its not great - it ranges from around 10ns to up to 500ns. LatencyMon does show some long page faults.

Currently Im underwhelmed to say the least - I bought an RME under the impression Id get high track/plugin counts with low latency and rock solid stability in comparison to my USB2 interface with generic USB drivers. So far it doesnt seem to be the case. Something has to be amiss surely.

Cheers

Re: RME RayDAT stability issues

You say yourself that your LatencyMon values (btw kernel timer is measured in µs not ns) are not great.
TBH .. I would bring this into shape 1st before complaining about the RayDAT.

With my last 2 mainboards I get kernel timer between 2-10 µs with a few peaks around 20µs.
Make sure you use LatencyMon 4.02 and that you measure on an idle system.

You have not only to disable EIST (in fact EIST and SpeedStep I have enabled) but you should definiticely disable
that the CPU is able to enter energy saving states below C0/C1. So disable any form of C- and T- States.
EIST (P-States) you don't need to worry about, but of course you can disable it.

Even if you are not capable of speaking german this article could help a little otherwise try google translations.
The screenshots speak for themselves.

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … -X10SRi-F/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by matthewjumpsoffbuildings 2016-10-22 15:48:41)

Ah yes I disable all C-states in BIOS too, forgot to mention that.

So 2-20 is what I should be aiming for? I have no idea how to debug or fix what is causing the pagefaults/latency.

The thing that bothers me is that right now, despite my 10-500 values and hard page faults (which latencymon still says is acceptable for realtime audio, but i understand at low latencies this becomes more critical), shouldnt a PCIe installed RayDAT still do significantly better than an 8 year old M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R running on USB2 with generic drivers? I see almost no difference in plugin counts or GUI updates causing clicks/pops... tbh when Im using the RayDAT sometimes it seems worse?!?!?

RayDAT will do better, but the spikes of 500 µs are too high for my taste. Around 50µs with peaks under 100 I would regard as acceptable.

I have suspicion that it has to do with internal Intel graphics. On a Laptop this caused clicks and pops when browing the Web with Firefox. Simply scrolling down a loaded internet page by 1-3 lines created a click. I had to compensate this with a ridiculous high ASIO buffer size of 512 for pure stereo playback of FLAC file in Musicbee (using RME UFX ASIO driver).

It turned out that click and pops went away when using the internal nVidia Graphics for Firefox, then I could use the lowest ASIO buffersize which is possible again (48 on UFX). Since then I am not a fan of Intel Graphics inside of CPU.

Get i.e. this card with zero fan feature, you wont hear anything under office / recording operation:
https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/msi … 14302.html

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by matthewjumpsoffbuildings 2016-10-22 16:25:07)

Do you think this card: http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/pro … x?pid=5819 would be adequate? The PC is a rack PC which is only used for audio, nothing else. No internet browsing or games etc. I dont need crazy graphics at all.

I want to be able to run the RayDAT at 32 samples, with up to 16 tracks of audio with FX (Mostly Native Instruments stuff - Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, FM8 etc). Do you think that is feasible on my system?

Get a second hand Radeon HD3450 or HD5450. Cheap silent low power and work 100% here.
You don't mention at cpu...So difficult to say. But remember that other audiocards often use triple buffers so latency is in reality much higher (cubese reports the latency correct) I can work a little at 32 but not to much 64 is fine 128 is optimal. And since there are no hidden buffers with RME (which might explain some of the loss in performance) 128 is re3al low latency with this card.
Good luck!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

> (cubese reports the latency correct)

Not at all! It only reports the values that the driver writers have written into the ASIO driver's internal table.

Use the CEntrance Latency tool or the RTL Utility - or Cubase with playback/record loop and zooming in to sample level.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by matthewjumpsoffbuildings 2016-10-22 16:57:55)

I actually tested the round trip latency using a loop from line out to line in, then zoomed in and measured samples. At 64 samples buffer size the M-Audio USB is running at 6.8ms total round trip, the RME is 4.2ms, which is better - but the stability is basically the same, thats the real issue.

I would take 6.8ms with significantly better stability at high plugin counts over 4.2ms with the same stability at the same plugin counts as a shitty old USB2 interface. Thats what I bought the RME for, thats what I was expecting/hoping for.

The RayDAT can only work superior if it gets access to the 'standard' PCIe performance. Which is not the case here. I have no such problems with an older GB board. Did you try a different PCIe slot?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The RayDAT can only work superior if it gets access to the 'standard' PCIe performance. Which is not the case here. I have no such problems with an older GB board. Did you try a different PCIe slot?

I currently have it plugged into a PCIe x16 slot, should it be in something different?

Theres currently no othe PCIe cards installed, though ramses suggested I should get a dedicated gfx card to unburden the CPU. Would you agree with that? I dont use the computer for anything but audio, no internet or gaming, so I was thinking of a fanless cheap card like this http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/pro … x?pid=5819

Is that a good idea?

Try different PCIe slots (all) as MC suggests. See whether it makes a difference. Thats quicker done than monez spend and wait for delivery.

12 (edited by matthewjumpsoffbuildings 2016-10-22 18:05:09)

ramses wrote:

Try different PCIe slots (all) as MC suggests. See whether it makes a difference. Thats quicker done than monez spend and wait for delivery.

True, I will try this. Do you have your RayDAT in a x1 slot?

This is my motherboard: http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/pro … id=4978#ov

It has PCIe x16, x8, x4 and x1 slots.

Also, ramses, Im curious to know, at 64 samples buffer size with your RayDAT, how many tracks with an instance of Guitar Rig 5 running, say, the Styles > Blues > Billy Dual Grange preset can you run simultaneously? Are you able to test that?

Because currently, with both my RayDAT and my old USB2 M-audio, I can get to around 8-10 tracks before it starts crackling

Dont have that.

My boards design is this. Doesnt matter which slot I take. Its a quality server board.

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … mponenten/

ramses wrote:

My boards design is this. Doesnt matter which slot I take. Its a quality server board.

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … mponenten/

That was an interesting read. One big takeaway from it was to uninstall my Intel SATA drivers and use Windows default drivers.

Now LatencyMon is reporting a highest DPC and ISR of around 70, and generally hovers around 10-20! Even the pagefaults number has gone down a lot. The highest pagefault so far only fills half the bar, instead of going off the charts into the red like it used to.

I will do some audio tests again, but hopefully this improves things a lot.

Id still like to hear back from MC about which port is ideal to plug the RayDAT into on my motherboard. And also, getting a dedicated gfx card does seem like a good idea, to take load off the CPU for gfx processing. Using the CPU for gfx is probably why I get pops when doing GUI updates like opening/closing dialogues, moving windows around etc.

You have to try them all, every motherboard is differently designed.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

There's nothing I can look for in the specs to indicate which one is ideal?

You can't predict based on documentation or on eye-view. Try it out.

start with the x1 slots!

Vincent, Amsterdam

matthewjumpsoffbuildings wrote:
ramses wrote:

True, I will try this. Do you have your RayDAT in a x1 slot?

This is my motherboard: http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/pro … id=4978#ov

It has PCIe x16, x8, x4 and x1 slots.

Also, ramses, Im curious to know, at 64 samples buffer size with your RayDAT, how many tracks with an instance of Guitar Rig 5 running, say, the Styles > Blues > Billy Dual Grange preset can you run simultaneously? Are you able to test that?

Because currently, with both my RayDAT and my old USB2 M-audio, I can get to around 8-10 tracks before it starts crackling

How high is your cpu load when running this? If it is very high it is just that, your cpu running out, if an extra track pushes one core to 100% that's it then.

Vincent, Amsterdam

MC wrote:

> (cubese reports the latency correct)

Not at all! It only reports the values that the driver writers have written into the ASIO driver's internal table.

Use the CEntrance Latency tool or the RTL Utility - or Cubase with playback/record loop and zooming in to sample level.

Oh OK! Always use RME so... never had to check!

Vincent, Amsterdam

vinark wrote:

How high is your cpu load when running this? If it is very high it is just that, your cpu running out, if an extra track pushes one core to 100% that's it then.

In task manager overall cpu is like 15-20%, and the individual cores don't go much above 40-50%

I'd expect instability at such low cpu usage with the maudio but I'm surprised the RayDAT is just as bad

Agreed! But there are a few plugins that won't run nicely at low latencys. A few Kontakt instruments crackle because of their scripts. Maybe there are more. But I agree, for testing I loaded my cpu up with a heavy cpu wise multiband compressor and I could load it up to 99% at 128. At 32 a little lower but still up to 80% (from memory).

Vincent, Amsterdam

I mainly use guitar rig 5, I don't often run more than 1 kontakt

Are you on Windows? Do you use the task manager/performance monitor to check cpu usage?

24 (edited by ramses 2016-10-23 08:21:31)

vinark wrote:

Get a second hand Radeon HD3450 or HD5450. Cheap silent low power and work 100% here.
You don't mention at cpu...So difficult to say. But remember that other audiocards often use triple buffers so latency is in reality much higher (cubese reports the latency correct) I can work a little at 32 but not to much 64 is fine 128 is optimal. And since there are no hidden buffers with RME (which might explain some of the loss in performance) 128 is re3al low latency with this card.
Good luck!

Just looked at the card .. you go for passive cooled cards.

I wouldn't do that. They produce unnecessary heat inside of the case
which at the end requires more work for blowers -> noise.

When I started building a silent recording workstation nVidia came out with Maxwell series.
If you buy a card, which is not overclocked, then these cards are very energy efficient.

And the best of it is, if the card supports the so called "Zero Fan Feature", then the graphic cards blowers won't turn on if it stays under 60°C. Then it depends on the implementation of the vendor in its GPU BIOS, what happens once the blowers started with temperatures over 61°C. In my case (980) the blowers turn off, once the card reaches again 50°C.

To put an example. I bought the GTX 970 and the GTX 980. After some experiments, how to organize blowers in the case and which blowers to use, I am now in the very fortune situation, that  the GTX 980 stays cool under 60°C for all use cases of my system: Office, Recording, Video Editing, Gaming.

I can recommend the MSI series of GTX9xx cards, as their blowers (shall they run) generate the least noise. I saw a video of around 8 or 10 different GTX cards, a mic in front of them and the noise that came out of the MSI card was lowest and didn't generate a nerving tone others were not so nice.

Based on this I would recommend to get a MSI GTX 950. As the new cards are out you can get the older ones a little bit cheaper with a little luck. I heard at a certain day in the week computer parts are less expensive in shops.

With this card you should have absolutely no problems in terms of noise and heat.
It offers you to connect up to 3 monitors in parallel using Display Port.
HDMI and DVI port are also there if required.
The TDP of this card is 90W.

yes and yes. When I have time I will check Guitar rig5. See how many I can load. Is it on recorded tracks or live playing? What preset do you use? I am on Win7 64 and Cubase 8. I have a PCI hdsp (hdsp9652), but they should behave the same (with yours having a slight advantage when using many ins and outs, but that is not the issue here).

Vincent, Amsterdam

26 (edited by ramses 2016-10-23 08:26:58)

Matthew, what CPU do you have ? You didn't tell.

27 (edited by vinark 2016-10-23 09:39:46)

ramses wrote:
vinark wrote:

Good luck!

When I started building a silent recording workstation nVidia came out with Maxwell series.
If you buy a card, which is not overclocked, then these cards are very energy efficient.

And the best of it is, if the card supports the so called "Zero Fan Feature", then the graphic cards blowers won't turn on if it stays under 60°C. Then it depends on the implementation of the vendor in its GPU BIOS, what happens once the blowers started with temperatures over 61°C. In my case (980) the blowers turn off, once the card reaches again 50°C.

To put an example. I bought the GTX 970 and the GTX 980. After some experiments, how to organize blowers in the case and which blowers to use, I am now in the very fortune situation, that  the GTX 980 stays cool under 60°C for all use cases of my system: Office, Recording, Video Editing, Gaming.

I can recommend the MSI series of GTX9xx cards, as their blowers (shall they run) generate the least noise. I saw a video of around 8 or 10 different GTX cards, a mic in front of them and the noise that came out of the MSI card was lowest and didn't generate a nerving tone others were not so nice.

Based on this I would recommend to get a MSI GTX 950. As the new cards are out you can get the older ones a little bit cheaper with a little luck. I heard at a certain day in the week computer parts are less expensive in shops.

With this card you should have absolutely no problems in terms of noise and heat.
It offers you to connect up to 3 monitors in parallel using Display Port.
HDMI and DVI port are also there if required.
The TDP of this card is 90W.

Good info.
My HD3450 and 5450 stay around 50. The 5450 is even a little cooler then the 3450. I also have a system with a HD2400, that one gets a little hotter if on all day but I put a slow blowing no noise fan over it and even that one is cool now. Only advantage I can see if the graphics fan blows the heat out of the case as some/most do. But those take 2 slots so... It is obvious we both have working systems so probably both will be ok.
Oh and price 30 vs 150.

Vincent, Amsterdam

28 (edited by matthewjumpsoffbuildings 2016-10-23 09:51:48)

ramses wrote:

Intel i7 4790 3.6GHz

vinark wrote:

Is it on recorded tracks or live playing? What preset do you use

Its live playing, using Guitar Rig 5 with the Styles > Blues > Billy Dual Grange preset. I create 1 track with an instance of Guitar Rig 5 with that preset loaded, and set the input to ADAT input 1, with my guitar plugged into the pre, arm it for live monitoring, then duplicate the track until I get pops/crackles. I get to about 8-10 tracks before it crackles on both the RayDAT and the M-Audio USB. I set the volume very low on each track so the summed audio doesnt clip the master.

Oh and I have "High Quality Mode" disabled in Guitar Rig.

ramses wrote:

I literally only use this PC for audio. No gaming or watching video or anything else. Its just the Desktop and the DAW.

Do you think It'd be worth spending that much more to get a GTX960 card? And do you think the cheaper passive cards would even get that hot given how little they would be getting used?

30 (edited by ramses 2016-10-23 11:47:11)

The older cards get hotter, nVidia was starting with Maxwell chips to introduce powerful energy efficient chips.
And in that area they are better than ATI as they are able to produce the thinner structures (28 nm) to enable for less TDP.
I only recommend you the separate Graphic card, because in a Laptop the GPU inside CPU turned out to be crap, see my comments which I wrote to this topic. Maybe on a Notebook this effect turns out stronger, but I have my doubts that this is furtune for the Desktop.

A GTX 950 is fully sufficient, I only want that you get a real GPU as the internal GPU inside of your CPU has no memory of its own, so for graphic access it uses part of your DRAM. This design is maybe nice from cost savings perspective.

But not for high performance computing with handling real-time audio loads on an Operating System (Windows) which is not designed as realtime OS .. go figure.

If you are casual gamer, feel free to spend more bucks.

Current temperature of CPU / GPU on my system: with Xeon E5-1650v3 / MSI GTX 980 4G Gaming
Windows High Performance settings:
CPU 38°C / GPU 42°C, on since hours all blowers set to low on fractal design case

When doing Video Rendering with Vegas:
CPU load 64-73% Mem 7/32GB, GPU Load 0-14% and 700MB/4096MB memory usage
CPU 52°C / GPU 50°C

When doing Gaming additionally (on top of the rendering):
CPU load 70-85% Mem 9.5/32GB, GPU Load 0-14% and 1500MB/4096MB memory usage
CPU 58°C / GPU 50°C
Game setup for full quality, Vertical Sync to 60fps, same ping time, no packet loss.

31 (edited by matthewjumpsoffbuildings 2016-10-23 11:39:35)

I definitely will get a separate gfx card, I understand now why that's better. 

I'm just thinking that the gtx9xx series is at least 200 AUD, and a fanless gt 710 is 50 AUD. I've already spent a lot on the RayDAT and pres etc. I can't really afford to spend 200 right now unless it's absolutely necessary for the stability of the RayDAT to get a gtx9xx series instead of a cheaper nvidia gt 710 fanless model

Like I said I don't play games, I just use the DAW on my pc, that's it. Surely a fanless gt710 won't get very hot and will perform better than using cpu graphics?

Again why not a HD5450 AMD? Zero issues here and not hot.

Vincent, Amsterdam

vinark wrote:

Again why not a HD5450 AMD? Zero issues here and not hot.

Maybe I'm biased but I've always avoided amd cards... Is that one fanless too?

ramses wrote:

Intel i7 4790 3.6GHz

vinark wrote:

Is it on recorded tracks or live playing? What preset do you use

Its live playing, using Guitar Rig 5 with the Styles > Blues > Billy Dual Grange preset. I create 1 track with an instance of Guitar Rig 5 with that preset loaded, and set the input to ADAT input 1, with my guitar plugged into the pre, arm it for live monitoring, then duplicate the track until I get pops/crackles. I get to about 8-10 tracks before it crackles on both the RayDAT and the M-Audio USB. I set the volume very low on each track so the summed audio doesnt clip the master.

Oh and I have "High Quality Mode" disabled in Guitar Rig.

I will try that tomorrow!

Vincent, Amsterdam

35 (edited by ramses 2016-10-23 12:40:01)

I wouldnt spend money on such an old passive card.
It doesnt even offer 2 equal plugs for 2 monitors (DVI or DisplayPort).
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop … ifications
In the nVidia specs the GPU temperature is specified as up to 95°C.
Such a heater I don't want in my PC.
Your choice.

I prefer nVidia as I want best graphic support for Linux as well.
And I like that they have 2 cool features bundled with their drivers/applications:
- DSR to render even the Windows Desktop to factor 4 and then render down a better quality presentation of the screen
- built in reliable video capture capabilities

In regards to support "open source" AMD is better, but then u get poor performance.
I like it better to have under linux a performant driver, even if the vendor releases it as binary only.

Just my personal $0.02 for that topic.

Take whatever you feel more comfortably with, you may have other taste, experience, budget limitations.

vinark wrote:

I will try that tomorrow!

Thanks, I look forward to hearing how you go. Could you let me know your PC specs when you reply?

ramses wrote:

In the nVidia specs the GPU temperature is specified as up to 95°C.
Such a heater I don't want in my PC.

Wow that is hot! I dont want that either. I tend to agree with your preference for nVidia, I will look into some other options, cheers

ramses, according to this test: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gef … 50-19.html

The MSI GTX 750 Ti Gaming OC runs at 26 °C idle, and 54 °C under a gaming load (which I will never be doing), and operates at
30.0 dB(A) idle and 31.9 dB(A) under gaming load.

That card will be more than adequate for Desktop and DAW needs, yes?

38 (edited by ramses 2016-10-23 16:12:38)

You started talking about a fanless/passive cooled gt 710 to which I referred to with the link and the specs.

Now you come and argue with a hardware review of actively cooled GTX 750 Ti cards which are different.

Here a quick categorization of nVidia product names to "sharpen" your eyes where nVidia graphic cards differ:

G or GS - The standard video cards with core clocks that are not high and are made to keep a minimum performance.
GT - Slightly higher core clocks and possibly more onboard memory than the GT, It is mainly a budget performance card.
GTS - Includes possibly more onboard ram and higher than average core clocks possibly more pixel shaders or pipelines to increase performance.
GTX - Has the most memory of the group and higher clocks than all previous also includes more pixel pipelines and usually outperforms the GTS by atleast 10 - 15 percent.

Ti at the end means more performant model, i.e. because of more shader units.

Here an overview about the GeForce 700 series from 2013:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N … 700_series
Here an overview about the GeForce 900 series from 2014:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N … 900_series

I wouldn't take any passively cooled card anymore. If you want that, its your decision.

39 (edited by matthewjumpsoffbuildings 2016-10-23 16:17:35)

Im not trying to argue? I want an actively cooled card, like you said. After you mentioned the heat of the passive cards I agree 100%.

The GTX 750 TI is actively cooled, within my budget, and it seems to run cool and quiet. I was asking if you thought that it was a decent enough card for my needs, considering I will only be using it for Desktop and DAW use, and no gaming.

Im not trying to be argumentative, just asking for your advice smile

40 (edited by ramses 2016-10-23 16:21:09)

Then I misunderstood you, sorry. What is your budget for a graphic card ?

AFAIR the zero fan feature has been introduced with the more energy efficient 900-series.

So taking a 7xx card won't give you a silent card. But this should still be the goal I think.

Get a used MIS GTX 950 then ...

Well after buying the RayDAT, and a couple of 8 channel pres, and an Icon Qcon Pro, I dont really have any money left over tongue

I was thinking between 50-100AUD but I agree that a passive cheap card is not worth it.

After your advice I did a bit of looking and found an MSI GTX750 TI at a local shop for 190AUD, and read some reviews saying the fans were exceptionally quiet and it ran really cool even under heavy load, so Im considering stretching my almost non-existent budget.

I have looked at some reviews for the GTX950s, they seem to run a bit louder and hotter, and cost a bit more, which is already an issue. I dont think I need the added performance of the 950?

Oh btw, thank you for all the advice so far. I do appreciate it, and I am taking what you say on board.

AUD 190 is around € 133.

Here you get the MSI GTX 950 for around €179 (lowest price was €155.

Thats vcery close. For this little difference I wouldn't get a card without Zero Fan Feature.

Then get a used one ...

Ok thanks, I will see if I can afford the 950 or find a used one in good condition for a good price.

Im hoping once I sort the gfx card, switch the RayDAT to the correct PCI slot (probably one of the x1 slots tbh), and go through that long pdf of pc tuning tips, I will start to see the fabled RME performance I have been hoping for big_smile

Im still very curious to see how vinark goes with those Guitar Rig 5 plugin count tests smile

45 (edited by vinark 2016-10-23 17:42:32)

OK I tested. At 32 buffer 34 tracks all armed and giving audio. At 128 44 tracks. Both times CPU usage in the far 90's.
What I did notice that switching buffers under high load sometimes fails somewhat (strange distortion aliasing). I had to reboot the get 32 samples reliable. Just to be sure set your audio card at 32 reboot and then test.
My system is old but special (maybe only to me, but at that time fast and most stable,). Asus P5Q, q9550 OC to 3.6ghz (so same as you) 8GB DDR2 1066, HDSP9652, Radeon HD5450, Cubase 8 64.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Wow. That is SO much better than my 8-10 tracks at 64 buffer size. Especially since I have 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM and a non-overclocked CPU that is running natively at the speed of your overclocked CPU.

That is what I was hoping for when I got the RME, lets hope putting the RayDAT in the right PCIe slot, combined with switching to a dedicated card, and doing those PC tuning tips means I can finally see that kind of performance.

Thanks so much for doing that test smile

47 (edited by vinark 2016-10-23 17:53:38)

And really, I bought one of my 2 HD5450 for €10 the other new 30. The stay cool, run a 2 monitor daw without issues. What if it is not graphics related but for example a bios thing? AFAIK the onboard Intel should work fine, so I am not even 50% sure that that is the problem. First try the X1 slot!

Vincent, Amsterdam

Wow. That is SO much better than my 8-10 tracks at 64 buffer size. Especially since I have 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM and a non-overclocked CPU that is running natively at the speed of your overclocked CPU.

Thanks so much for doing that test smile

Well with ram it is very easy. If you have enough and enough bandwidth for a certain task, more won't do anything. In this case running 40 or so tracks maxes out the cpu before Ram bandwidth and usage.  The fact that our CPU's both run at 3.6 makes them quit equal I think. Generation improvement have been a few % only, yours is 3 or 4 later I believe.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Where are your test results Matthew ?

Did you try the card in all slots ? If not pls do .. after all this writing I am curious what happens.

I think we delivered, now its your turn wink

Its 4am here, Im going to bed soon, sorry.

Tomorrow I will go shopping for a gfx card, and once I get one I will also try the RayDAT in all the different PCIe slots. Its a bit tedious to open up my rack PC, so Id rather install the gfx card and test the RayDAT slots in one go, instead of doubling up.

I will report back tomorrow with my findings for sure.

Thanks everyone for all the help so far smile