Topic: Pro Tools ASIO 32 I/O limitation and UFX+

Hi,

As many know, AVID artificially limits Pro Tools (non-HD and HD) when using ASIO to the FIRST 32 I/O presented by the ASIO driver to the system to not canibalize their PT HD and AVID I/O hardware sales.

I'm a happy owner of the MADIface USB using it to track live mixes from DiGiCo SD9 into Pro Tools (12.5 nowadays) - as long as only up to 32 channels are in use. DiGiCo fortunately allows to map their I/O relatively flexible to MADI channels.

In studio work, I use the RME UFX which has up to 30 I/O, so I'm fine with PT too. For the future, I would love to purchase the upcoming UFX+ to have the unit itself placed in the control room, and using the MADI link to connect to remote 32 I/O (e.g. Antelope Orion 32), as well as take the UFX+ for live MADI recordings with local Mic preamps for room mics etc.

Problem is, that UFX+ with MADI will have vastly more than 32 I/O, and in Pro Tools only the FIRST 32 will be usable.

The killer feature of the year would be a "Pro Tools Mode" of the UFX+ driver, to specify which specific 32 out of all available UFX+ I/O are presented to ASIO and thus to Pro Tools, separately for inputs and outputs. Ideally, via TotalMix, with storable presets. This way, the UFX+ (and MADIface) user could flexibly determine, WHICH 32 I/O of the RME hardware are concurrently usable at any time within PT.

Yes, change of DAW has been considered but is currently not an option for studio work.

RME, please let us know your thoughts on that.

Best regards and keep up the great work,
dabbler

Re: Pro Tools ASIO 32 I/O limitation and UFX+

+1 as many people work with protools, sounds like a good / valid feature request.

Remembers me what RME did in the Firewire driver: menue to select "roughly" the type of audio channels
to be transferred to limit the bandwidth of audio.

Or in the HDSP driver to be able to select per ADAT channel for which you want WDM devices.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

@MC: any comment?

*bump*

Am I touching a politically sensitive topic here that it gets zero response? Even if the response would be "we don't care about having Pro Tools user base as potential UFX+ customers". At least I (and others) would know that UFX+ ain't going to be a purchase option for us anymore and we have to stick with UFX. :-)

I wouldn't take this too serious. Its a user forum. You could also write this the official way via support@

And BTW ... I could think of that RME is currently very busy to get ADI-2 Pro and ARC USB
production / delivery started.

Patience wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Can't you just use the loopback function in TMfx to send audio to inputs 1-32? If you can it is much more useful then a remap, since you can save mixer snapshots.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=23904

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ahhh thanks. Missed that one. Any rough ETA by now? Waiting impatiently for it, would love to upgrade to the UFX+ yesterday. :-)

vinark wrote:

Can't you just use the loopback function in TMfx to send audio to inputs 1-32? If you can it is much more useful then a remap, since you can save mixer snapshots.

This is a very good solution to use the MADI I/O of the UFX+ in Pro Tools but also if you connect it via USB 2 which means you have "only" 30 I/Os (no MADI)
Send the MADI hardware inputs to the analog, ADAT and AES hardware outputs, activate loopback in the hardware outputs settings and then you've got your signals on the Input channels 1-30...

Cheers

Fireface UCX
MADIface USB
Babyface Pro

Driver 0.9590 supports 32 ASIO Channel limit, the option is located on the about page of the settings dialog.

uwekirst wrote:

Driver 0.9590 supports 32 ASIO Channel limit, the option is located on the about page of the settings dialog.

What about Core Audio? Is there a similar function in the drivers 301 and 220 for Mac?

Fireface UCX
MADIface USB
Babyface Pro

Not able to test this as lacking an UFX+, what does this option do exactly?

It reduces the number of ASIO channels to 32.

And how is that related to the problem discussed here? As long as there is no mapping functionality, this doesn't help at all?!

Correct. But it helps users where the computer stalls or crashes due to the higher number of I/O channels.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ah too bad, so no christmas present. :-)

The Christmas present this year was TM FX 1.40 plus the latest firmware update for the UFX+ wink

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Seriously, is this remap functionality coming in any foreseeable timeframe, or just no priority at all? You're leaving revenue on the street... basically UFX+ makes almost no sense to any Pro Tools user over UFX. Is that Pro Tools user market so small that the investiment in this relatively trivial feature (which also MADIface line would benefit from) doesn't pay off? Really surprises me... Would like to know wether it makes sense to wait, or have to throw my money at Antelope Goliath who have fully flexible remapping.

Happy new year!

Let the dust settle wink RME was shurely very busy bringing the new products out and fixing 1st issues as you can see from driver updates.