Topic: -10dBv or +4 dBu for Speakers

Hello everyone,

I use my UFX+ with Dynaydui Bm5 mkII monitors. and i want to know what is recommanded for those.
In the rear of the speakers i can choose between -10dbv / 0 or + 4dbu

when i use +4dbu in both in the UFX and the speakers i hit the convorters a bit low because i need to do extreme attenuation for regular listening. something like -40/-50dbfs

With -10dbv i usualy do attenuations between -20 and - 30 in regular listening0. and i hit the convorters at -25dbfs'ich

But i remeber that there its also related to balanced and unmbalanced

Any ideas ?

2 (edited by ramses 2016-11-01 16:23:05)

Re: -10dBv or +4 dBu for Speakers

It will be balanced independend from the chosen output level.

I use with Geithain RL906D (using analog out 1/2 of UFX), +4, as otherwise the Monitors become too loud for me
when TM FX is being set to 0dB (which of course can easily accidently happen)
even if I trim down the potis to lowest settings on the Geithain monitors.

So turn down poti on your Monitors as low a possible.
Set TM FX to 0dB.
Choose a proper line level, so that its not too loud.
If possible I would choose Hi Gain, otherwise +4 or -10.

See also this discussion https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=4095
Selection "High Gain" seems to be closest to studio levels.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks !
the thing is i don't have a volume knob in the monitors .. only have the -10 0 and +4

so with your RL906D you set it at -10 then ? and you trim (analog attenuation)

if i got it right, it doesnt matter actually (quality wise) -10 . 0 +4 all the same ?

I would take care that 0 dB in TM do not harm your ears ! How you do that, doesn't matter.

This should have prio over all other things, where you most likely won't hear a difference anyway.

Look what combination of
- RME side: -10 dBV, +4 dBU, Hi Gain, +24 dBU
- Monitor side: -10, 0, +4
brings the best results, that a sudden change of i.e. setup (restore of a snapshot or workplace),
where the monitors might be (re-)set to 0dB in Totalmix Controlroom does not blow your ears.

If this doesn't work out well then I would set everything to either -10 oder +4 dBU,
leave TM at 0dB and then use a quality nalog monitor controller like this:
https://www.thomann.de/de/spl_2control_ … l_253570_0

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

100% right ! ears first.

I think that once i have the buget i'll buy a passive knob. I really like the sound that i have with the interface. But i had 3 big jumps of volume in the past 2 weeks. Plus, hitting a healty level is always better then -40/30dbfs (for the conversion). Correct me if i'm right.

The spl seem to be a good choice, are you using it ?

A tone engineer which I know where I had a rehearsal of 906 and 310 (Neumann) uses it and he is very happy with it.
And you have for phones the compensation making it sound more natural like from speakers.