1 (edited by RaflT 2016-11-06 16:51:23)

Topic: Some beginner questions

Hello,

i really feel sorry for my beginner questions, but i cant solve them with Google or the user manual.

I have the following construction/case:

I have TotalMix on a Notebook. On the one hand via USB my babyface with a microphone is connected and on the other hand there is a headphone via 3,5mm audio jack on my notebook.

1.) How can I hear the microphone signal on the headphone? I cant find the solution. I know how to route signals in the DAW, but i cant find the audio jack in the DAW, so i havent a control bar in the DAW for them

2.) On the notebook I have an extra tool with some synthesiser sounds. How can i get the signal into my Total Mix Fx? I tried every input, but it doesnt work.

I am happy for every reference, tip or answer.

Greetings
RaflT

Re: Some beginner questions

1. Connect the headphones to the babyface. There's no reason to use the inferior internal audio.

2. That's internal audio. It doesn't come in via an input in TotalMix, but via "software playback". So open fader channel 1/2 in software playback and enjoy.

FWIW.

In the past, I only worked occasionally with RME's interfaces. I hated them. Why have TWO software applications to manage ONE interface? And why is this routing so complicated/unintuitive? And so on...

Since I own an RME interface and took the time to RTFM (I had to or this thing would have driven me crazy), I can't live without TotalMix and DigiCheck.

Once you understand the way it works, it's easy. So easy, you don't have to think about it, you just do it in a couple of clicks in TM.

RME has a number of short video's on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/user/RMEAudio

Watch those! It's a faster way to learn and avoid being stumped by things that aren't obvious. Once you're done with these, keep the manual at hand. Either the paper one, or the pdf on your computer. You'll start appreciating the possibilities and ease of use soon.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

List of Totalmix Tutorials

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … al-Videos/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you very much for your answers!

My babyface hasnt got any "pins" left,so i cant connect the phones to it.

I really need the audio jack because of some different reasons. Is there any possibility to get it in totalmix?

About Software playback: how does it work? Only Start the synth in the backround and then its automatically in the totalmix on these channels?

I am going to go through the tutorials, thank you!

RaflT wrote:

My babyface hasnt got any "pins" left,so i cant connect the phones to it.

Look at ADAT for more channels/

I really need the audio jack because of some different reasons. Is there any possibility to get it in totalmix?

Nope.

About Software playback: how does it work? Only Start the synth in the backround and then its automatically in the totalmix on these channels?

All sound from programs will appear in the software playback area in Totalmix. Just route it to your analog outputs and shove the fader up. But look at the video's first. They'll make you go "ah, that simple...' and it would take a lot of words to explain routing.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

6 (edited by ramses 2016-11-07 06:44:50)

1. Be sure to enter submix mode in TM.
2. Then click on an output, for which you want to create a submix.
3. As soon as you click i.e. to the headphone output channel,
then all the input and software playback channels and mutes
can be set by you
how you want to have them for this particular headphone submix.

This procedure is valid for any other output channel. Can it be easier ? You only need to know this and then you can very comfortably put everything together piece by piece.

If you have then later certain routings which are used often to you, like i.e.
"to Monitor"
"to Headphones"
"SILENCE" (emergency, all outputs muted)
Then you can additionaly store them in these so called Snapshots.

These settings you should store in TM under
- File -> Save  Snapshot
- File -> Save  Workspace
And for much quicker recall you should save it to a slot unter
Workspace Quick Select which recalls Snapshot and Workspace fully.

Please note that the faders and mutes of the totalmix submixes what you create (Point 1. - 3. in my post) have relevance for the submixes, the outputs. Your DAW always gets the Signal from the Inputs besides of this.

If you think you can live without Totalmix and want to route everything exclusively only in your DAW, then there is a new DAW mode available since a few weeks or months.
Options -> Operational Mode -> Digital Audio Workstation Mode - straight playback routing no input mix
vs. the normal mode of operation for TM: "Full Mode" - all routing options of TM available.

Its simple and wonderful, you only need to come to the point to understand the basic princibles of "Full Mode"in submix mode. If you become an expert, then you can directly work with the routing matrix. But I prefer submix mode and TM Full mode, because its simple and logic and straight forward. You simply get what you want.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13